Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Baby not sleeping well Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Hi all,
I'm needing some help! Maybe an outsider looking in can give me some pointers! John Paul is 7 1/2 months old now, and not sleeping well at all. During the day, I'm lucky to get 30 minutes, and every once in a while, he'll go an hour. I can't even take my pm nap with him because he nurses himself to sleep and then just as I get good and asleep he wakes up crying, which ends my nap. (Thank goodness for my 14 and 12 yo dds who will hold him and then bounce him back to sleep!) At night he'll go to sleep just fine, but then the same is happening...he wakes up crying just as I'm falling into a deep sleep probably 30 - 60 minutes after he's nursed himself to sleep. And then the rest of the night I just lose count, I'm so tired. Last night he was up at 3, 4 and then 6 with at least a couple times ahead of that I'm sure.

My top two concerns are:
1. I'm tired!!!!
2. His wakefulness so soon after going to sleep seriously impacts the together time for my dh and I that he really needs, IYKWIM. We get interrupted quite often.

I'm at a loss. We've figured out the skull fusing too soon and the reflux. He's been to the chiropracter and everything's in good order. (He felt his pineal gland hadn't kicked in yet and showed me what to do for that.) He does have eczema??? He sleeps with us; there's a crib right beside our bed, but he hasn't slept there in a while! I'd love any thoughts or ideas you might have...homeopathy, sleeping pills - ha, or other. He's still pretty much breast fed. I've tried rice cereal, sweet potato and banana without a lot of interest on his part. Help! Sorry to be so long winded...
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

I was thinking food issues and then when you said he had eczema that made me think it even more. What you eat could easily be contributing. (Sorry!)

Pam
the only diet I am familiar with is pretty strict and you may not want to know- it's quite bland. We stick to it because it has made such a difference in our family. I can't say what babies would be like if you changed because I had two before the diet and two afer we had been on it for a while so it is hard to say what is diet-improved and what is just the baby. My only one with real reflux was before the diet. I would love to how he might have improved!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

The food issue came to my mind, too. My 5mo can't tolerate any dairy I eat. The biggest reaction that he has is that he spits up all day long, and there's so much of it! My guess is that there isn't much in his stomcah when all is said and done, because he nurses constantly, and consequently, is up all night eating because he is hungry.    I've also noticed that his eczema is linked to dairy, too-- after a couple of days w/o, it starts to clear up. He seems to react to chocolate and caffeine, too.

HTH-- and I COMPLETELY understand about the problems it causes!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Pamin OZ wrote:
I was thinking food issues and then when you said he had eczema that made me think it even more. What you eat could easily be contributing. (Sorry!)

Anne McD wrote:
The food issue came to my mind, too. My 5mo can't tolerate any dairy I eat.

Thanks Pam and Anne!
How soon would dietary changes on my part show up? I tried eliminating dairy and wheat for a while early on and it didn't seem to make any difference. I can't remember how long I had made the changes.

I haven't had the time yet to look into your info Pam. I will, though. Looking back, I've had 3 others with skin issues - so 4 out of 6! And I've made dietary changes before, but why does it seem so hard!!! I like milk with my protein in the morning, tea and chocolate!! And wheat is everywhere!

Anyone else with eczema/diet experiences to share?
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Angela,

Lydia just turned 8 months and doesn't nap during the day either. She'll nurse and fall asleep during the day, but I can't move her or she wakes and doesn't settle back down. At night, she sleeps with us, and I nurse her multiple times through the night, but I don't wake very much.

I'm just sending sympathy, not advice :) My boys napped very well, so it's definitely different. I really miss having small chunks of time to get things done without carrying her in a sling!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

John Paul sounds just like my ds as a baby and I too think food intolerances. Ds's issue was milk protein and when I finally got good info and got myself and him on a diet at about 1 year it changed him a lot. He was happier. Slept a little better. Didn't have blood in his diaper occasionally, etc. The doc stated if the milk was an issue I would see changes in about 2 weeks--and I did!
DD had eczema, and reflux and also a few food issues. I was more aware with her so it was much easier. She fortunately slept better than her poor brother. Maybe girls are tougher?
I would consider looking into it. It is hard to be so tired for so long. Hang in there!!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

No real advice for you, dear Angela, but lots of prayer coming.   

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version