Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you buy your Dad? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay...so we are getting down to the nittygritty for shopping over here. Other than my dh and my dad, I'm done! However, neither my dad or mom can give me any ideas for my dad. Not one!

Has anyone got any good ideas for an almost 60yrold man whose only hobbies are amateur radio and watching tv    I'm at a loss. My dh says I'm boring to just buy clothes...which is what I end up doing most years. But I'm not feeling very creative this year.

I'm hoping someone out there found something nifty-new or something, anything, for their dad this season??? In my effort to be original...look...I needed a group effort

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I get my Dad a gift card for Starbucks each year. He thinks their coffee is outrageously expensive--but he enjoys it.
Dads are tough...
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I usually get my dad a DVD. I don't like to encourage him to watch more TV, but I don't know what else to get him which is affordable.

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

any food he likes?

a favorite tv series on dvd?

a gift certificate to a restaurant, or something special to do?

with "difficult" people I generally go with food!!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Food is a good idea...usually...but he has put himself on that Nutrasystem diet (or whatever it is called)...he's doing well...but that idea doesn't work this year.

I don't know about the Starbucks. I'll have to ask my mom if he visits any little shops when he walks about during his lunchtime. Good idea.

Dvds are a good idea...that and clothes are my fallbacks!

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Last year I got my Dad some CD's of old radio shows-the ones form his childhood. He LOVES them!He especially likes to listen to them in the car on long trips. Since you say your dad is a radio man, it reminded me of that.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Does he hunt?

Enjoy electronics..... computers?

Does he have a special memory from his childhood that you could recreate? *THE* toy he always wanted, but never got.

Does he enjoy boating?....you could purchase tickets for a dinner cruise.

Would he enjoy a weekend away fishing? You could get the tackle box and fishing rod.

Have you ever seen his eyes sparkle when you talk about something he is interested in, but hasn't pursued in years?

My DH doesn't really have hobbies, but he always talks about setting up one of those huge tables with a train & houses.

My FIL enjoys mystery novels.

Does he have any hobbies or major life experiences?
The last Christmas my father celebrated before his death, I bought him a set of sterling silver coins (he was a collector) that commemorated each major war...WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam (he fought in Vietnam), and Desert Storm. It's a vivid memory because it arrived two days late , but he LOVED it...and NO ONE else got him a gift....he died that New Years Eve.

You could ask him.    
He may hemmmm and hawww, but at least you would know what he would like to have.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thinking of Rebeccas blog post (I'll dig the link up in minute...) about the gift of time, I've decided to give my parents $50 gift card to Panera Bread to take each of my children out for hot chocolate individually.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I love the gift of time idea. Unfortunately, we are in MI and my dad is in FL!
We have done the food gift cards and assorted videos and music (my dad loves to sing.) All the media I buy pertain to favorites of my dad's from growing up (he is now 81!)

In the theme of "time" ideas, what about zoo passes (I know ours has one for grandparents and grandchildren,) movie passes, museum passes (art, history, "things" like autos or baseball or ?.) A board game he could keep there (I know there are Monopoly games abounding that might have a theme for one of his favorite shows) to play with your dc.

Or, and this may be too late for this year but maybe next year? a creative memory type of photo album of maybe his growing up years or pictures of him through the year with the family/grandchildren? Or more personal from you, with favorite memories of yours with him?

An ipod for his walking that you can put some of his favorite music/radio shows?

Lastly, maybe some gadget to keep his hands busy while tv watching to avoid the urge to eat- although I have no idea what that might be.

There always seems to be one person that is tough!

God Bless!

Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Does he like puzzles? My dad loves them and always has. He especially enjoys them during the holidays when he can put up a table by the TV and watch the football games at the same time. We all filter in, help for a while and talk. I saw a neat puzzle at the National Geographic Online store.    Here is the blurb: "Give a one-of-a-kind gift with this personalized puzzle featuring a custom map. From any starting point, we'll create a 400-piece puzzle of a six-by-four-mile area using U.S. Geological Survey maps."   It looks really neat for the puzzle or map fan.   personalized puzzle

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I always like to buy things that will be an aid to one's spiritual life. This year I bought my dad an audio cassette (by Leonardo Defillipis) of the book "The Confessions of St. Augustine".
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Would like your dad may like a three month....or whatever you can afford, subscription to Netflix???

I had been thinking about that for my dad........but, there is no money.........and, luckily I found I had already got him two special books (about the Catholic faith.....pray for a conversion........it is a long shot )

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Thanks for all of the ideas ladies.

We finally got my father to speak up and he said he wanted a Redskins stockinette hat so I got him this one and then threw in a car magnet as well.

And just a few aside notes...love love Netflix (and so does he, already does it), he is sadly completely not spiritual at all (I'm a convert and I can honestly say I don't think he has ever even uttered the Lord's name in any context), and also sadly, he's not one to spend any time with my kids, at least not without my mother forcing him to with her. He's not a kid person, and he has me with 6 of them! HA!

Thanks again ladies, and I'll be keeping your ideas for the other men (brothers, bils, fil) in our lives too!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Oh, I came across two more ideas.....but, I can only remember one of them

I know you already have your dad's gift....so, I will just add it to the thread in case it helps others:

I picked up a cedar bird feeder for only ten bucks..........add 25-50 lbs of bird seed..........and you have a great gift!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

My 67 year old Dad loves:

A John Wayne DVD (they don't seem to run out of titles!!) and a gift certificate to Old Country Buffet -- my Dad loves going there!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I've gotten my dad two CDs from those Celtic Women--one is their Christmas one, the other one is just their "regular" stuff. He'll watch that stuff every time it comes on the PBS station, so I found them at Sams a while back and snagged them both.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Oh, and if he is into ham radio, what magazines does he get? DH does that, and gets several different magazines...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version