Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Montessori Geography map questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

If you're using the Montessori geography maps, what ideas do you have to make full use of them? We absolutely love them here! My 7yo and 11yo are really enjoying them, and I LOVE them, but I'm sure I'm not using them to their full potential.

We have been through the world, N.America, and will be working on the US map after Christmas. So far, they've been making their own maps, working on tracing and labeling. I have not been using it in conjunction with the Great Lessons. I know a lot of you are going through those. We sort of incorporate some of the Great Lesson philosophy into our curric naturally, KWIM? We have started some continent boxes, but honestly, I haven't been as consistent with hunting magazines, etc. as I would like to have been for inclusion in the boxes. I'd like to emphasize that a bit more - it's been a rough start to our year (where's the vomiting pregnant emoticon when I need it?)

What other ideas do you guys have for using these tools?

Anyone found a good link to some presentations having specifically to do with the geography maps?

If you have a set from Alison's (mine are from Alison's) how did you finally go about labelling your control maps? Sharpie? Label-maker? I haven't done that yet and I really should. Did anyone take them and laminate them with a heavier laminate? I'm tempted. When in doubt...laminate right?

Did I forget anything? Please tell me how you're using these. They have been one of the best investments we made for our Montessori choices, and I want to explore the untapped potential. Thanks guys!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I found some great command cards in the Geography storage list for montessorimakers (I believe it is mm2_Geography). I printed the ones for North America and my son has been using those along with the NA puzzle map.
I also have some flags of NA 3part cards printed from somewhere.
We have also done the tracing and labeling our own maps.
I have not labeled my control maps yet, I was just going to use acid free pen. I have printed a small labeled map and my son uses that as a control. I might actually let him do the labeling eventually, b/c I have good intentions to do it but I probably won't ever find time.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Here is what I want to do eventually but have not made time yet! I want to make a cork map for each puzzle I have. (I think I might laminate this one).

I don't know if the cork boards that are bulletin boards are actually the right size but I'm hoping so.

I printed off the flags of different countries from somewhere on-line. We are going to cut and laminate these and have at least one copy (country name on the back) to match to the country on the map. I think that my initial cork map will be labeled. (I was planning on ordering a labeled map from MO just to see how closely the two places match and because no one in our house has nice handwriting except my dh - but if we have to label them ourselves, we will). Anyways, I was planning to use the flags attached to toothpicks - grouped by maps - for my children to match up with the respective country. You could do this with heads of state, main geographical features (I have old travel books that ought to have pictures of places).

We are also really big at using those dry erase markers to trace out something. If things are laminated, you can trace the path of battles, routes of explorers, etc. and then erase it for later use for something else. We also have a blank map of the US that we use a dry erase to mark. I'm thinking I could laminate one of the maps that came with my set - and then we could use the dry erase to see how many countries we could label.

Again, these are all plans. We haven't done much yet but print off flags . My children are fascinated by flags and even like to make their own copies with crayons and construction paper. And since I have a bunch of boys, marking where my FIL fought in WWII might be a good start.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Okay - it took me a couple reads through to realize that this is Montesorri geography. I spent too much time trying to figure out what Missouri Geography was.

...back to the regularly scheduled program.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
I spent too much time trying to figure out what Missouri Geography was.

Sorry Mary. Montessori Geography wouldn't fit in the new topic line, so I shortened as best I could.

I totally forgot about my flags and some other cultural cards I had downloaded before I got sick. Clearly, I need to get a bit more organized. Since I have 3 control charts, I think I am going to get at least one of the charts more heavily laminated to use as Janet suggested with the dry erase to trace battles, exploration routes, etc. That sounds really neat! I think I may also use the mini grey border saints holy cards from CHC to map out the saints on one of the other control charts.

Thanks for the suggestions and reminders!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

MaryM wrote:
Okay - it took me a couple reads through to realize that this is Montesorri geography. I spent too much time trying to figure out what Missouri Geography was.

LOL! I thought the exact same thing when I saw the subject line, which is why I didn't respond to the thread before!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Our geography studies have been put on a bit of a hold lately due to a number of things. But we had used them a lot at the beginning of the year. Mostly the stuff you mentioned. Dd made a little continent book, tracing the pieces, coloring and labeling them. Ds used labels I printed up from somewhere and has all of the countries and major rivers of Asia memorized. He is also doing some notebooking along with the puzzle. I have not labeled a control map yet, but I plan on just using a sharpie to do it (like you, when I find the time).
We've also been using our continent boxes a lot, and the culture cards I made over the summer (homes, mothers and babies, landmarks).
My 4yo just likes to build the puzzle on the control map. He really isn't ready for anything more than that.
I also feel like there is more could do with the puzzles and I am sure we will, when the mood hits again!
I really like the lamination/dry erase idea (thanks, Janet!).

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ok - I changed my topic line to make more sense! I feel like an idiot. I hope I haven't missed more responses because more people skipped the topic thinking I was asking about Misourri geography. Sorry for the confusing topic line everyone.

Thanks Theresa for the response as well. I forgot about adding rivers and landmarks to our maps for a more in depth study. I have no idea why my brain is stuck! I am considering some/all of the geography supplements from Montessori for Everyone - actually I have been for a while now, but I'm moving slowly this year. Anybody have any of these?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version