Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Redwall Series by Brian Jaques Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm pretty sure these are ok reads, but with all the confusion lately over muddied good and evil, I'm asking. I found 2 of the books in this series at a used book store, and picked them up after skimming. I haven't read them, but I'm betting some of you have.

Are they along the lines of a "Narnia page-turner?" My kids are anxious to start them as read-alouds, but I'm wondering about ages. I have an 11yo and 7yo that are excited to read these. Is there anything for a Catholic family to be concerned about in this series???

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jennifer -- I read Redwall (the first in the series) to my littles last Spring and they LOVED it! It's long but Jacques does such a good story-telling job and keeps cliff-hangers for chapter endings, that they could follow it and keep the story straight. The incidents occur at a Monastery and there are religious overtones, but nothing derogatory or disrespectful that we saw.

An interesting fact I found out about Jacques was that he wrote this book while he was driving a bus for blind students. That's why it's so descriptive and well-told -- he wanted to make "picture words" for the blind children!

We will start Mattimeo (the second in the series) after Christmas ...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We've read a few and the kids LOVE them. My 12 y.o. has read them all. They especially love the cliff hangers. They are very action packed, lots of battles and all that comes with that, so if you have a particularly sensitive child you may want to keep that in mind.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We all love them here.Good stuff!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Marianna is reading them, and thoroughly enjoying them. Great books.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I read the kids Redwall over the summer - DYNOMITE!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

We love them in our home too!! They make great read alouds - we found them hard to put down for the night at times so it made for some later bedtime reads.

We are currently waiting for our library to get the newest book Eulalia. I have put it down twice at the bookstore as it is only available in hardback right now.

Enjoy!!

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

... and don't forget to check our Brian Jacques website, Redwall Abbey -- tons of fun stuff there! It can become a bit of an obsession, but it really is fun

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Wow! How exciting! Thank you all so much. Mary, I bookmarked the great Redwall site. I'm glad I picked up the books at the used bookstore! We started last night, and the kids are hooked (as well as dh .) Thanks again everybody!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Heliodora
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Heliodora

My kids are all a little obsessed about these books- the girls and the boys. They are definitely fluff and not of the same caliber as Narnia, but I have never seen anything objectionable (and I'm very picky.) Virtue is praised, bad guys are punished- all in all they are fine, IMO.
Back to Top View Heliodora's Profile Search for other posts by Heliodora Visit Heliodora's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Mary G wrote:
... and don't forget to check our Brian Jacques website, Redwall Abbey -- tons of fun stuff there! It can become a bit of an obsession, but it really is fun

Wow! We are big Redwall fans, but I hadn't even thought to check for a website. Thanks, Mary! My kids will love this.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version