Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Andrew's Feast Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Since today is the pretty much the last day of the Liturgical Year (ok, tomorrow, but that's Dec 1st and we'll start our Jesse Tree, and I just feel like this is the last day ), and it's the Feast of St. Andrew here's what we're having tonight:
Salmon Patties
Cheddar and Black Pepper Scones
Tandra Cakes

So, what's on your menu for tonight?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Well, for tea today it's Scottish shortbread and (decaffeinated) Irish tea (I'm Scotch-Irish! ).

Friday supper is usually pizza!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Cooking and food are not my strenght. But after my breviary prayers today (St. Andrew has his own set), I've been thinking of ways to make a craft with the children.

My boys love to make boats. So, I think I'll suggest a boat making project in the afternoon (even if they are just paper boats) with flags of different nations. (St. Andrew is the patron of many different countries. So far, I've seen Scotland, Greece, Russia and the city of Amsterdam.) The flags incorporate St. Andrew's symbol of the x shaped cross.

If they like this, we can keep going by filling the boats with symbols of St. Andrew (which I'll have to look up) but I imagine fishing poles, fish, fish nets, x shaped cross would be a good beginning.

We didn't get a chance to make Mary M's tin foil fish craft of the week. (I didn't have any permanent markers.) That might work well too.

I like to emphasize with the children that St. Andrew was the first to find the Lord and the brother of St. Peter. But, it was Peter who became the rock. I think this shows a lot of humility on the part of St. Andrew and good example for siblings.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I love these ideas!!! He is the patron saint of one of my sons. Boat making and fish dinner it is:)

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We are starting this prayer today:

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
in which the Son of God was born
of the most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight,
in Bethlehem, in piercing cold.
In that hour, vouchsafe, O my God!
to hear my prayer and grant my desires,
through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ,
and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.

(It is piously believed that whoever recites the above prayer fifteen times a day from the feast of St. Andrew (30th November) until Christmas will obtain what is asked.)

Imprimatur
+MICHAEL AUGUSTINE, Archbishop of New York
New York, February 6, 1897

Our dd's godmother was born as a result of this prayer many years ago. Dh and I dropped the ball on starting a 54-Day Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe on time (previously that has been our standard emergency family petition) and this came along at just the right time. Maybe it will be a blessing to someone else here.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Donna -- we do it five times a day -- at meals. When I taught in school, I would do all 15 with my religion class, but it's too long for my little guys. And I like the reminder all day long!! I don't like adding it onto the rosary because it makes it too long.

ETA - I mean three times a day (5 recitations each time). Pregnancy brain going on here...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I admit I say it once a day. I haven't seen the instructions for multiple sayings in all publications of the prayer.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Helen

donnalynn wrote:
Susan -

How do you work out the 15 times a day? Do you say them all at once?

Last year, many of the 4Real bloggers put this prayer on their blogs so that when you visited the blog, you said the prayer.
(Alice's idea)

(That being said, I am happy if I say it once a day.)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Elena

We have been reading Melissa's Martha Years books and of course Martha lived in Scotland. Since St. Andrew is the patron of Scotland we are combining the two today! Throughout the books there is mention of bannocks, a sort of bread/cookie. So this afternoon we will be baking bannocks!

I put up some links to recipes and other info about St. Andrew on my blog today.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

My 2 year old is Andrew--so we've been having fun today! We colored St. Andrew's shields, made Jesus fish suncatchers (of sorts) and we're going to have an x shaped cake for dessert tonight.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I believe I mentioned this a few years back.

Snack: Using pretzel sticks dipped in peanut butter (or cheese spread) as fishing poles, go fishing for gold fish crackers in a bowl.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

isjalu0826
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote isjalu0826

I have only ever seen the prayer as to be said 15 times a day, which is pretty much why I have never managed to make it all the way through til Christmas... :-(

Sad but true. MAYBE THIS YEAR. Lord knows I have alot to be praying for..
Back to Top View isjalu0826's Profile Search for other posts by isjalu0826

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have found this Christmas prayer POWERFUL! I only learnt about it last year and did it for the first time and I had many hard, special intentions attached to it and I can say that all the prayers were answered in this New Year.

I think there is something really beautiful about the prayer itself - a real, continual focus on that Holy Night.

We have spent the last 2 weeks, when driving dh to work, learning this prayer off by heart with the children. Also I have posted the prayer on the car steering wheel, toilet door, fridge door etc for dh, so it is a continual reminder.

Because we are in the car a bit with driving dh to and from work, it is a place to say it a few times. Yesterday was the feast of St Andrew for us and I am sure I said it double the times suggested, as I find lying in bed trying to go to sleep is also a time to say a few in the way I would say, "Oh Mary, Conceived without Sin, Pray for us who have recourse to thee."

So because it is deep, poetical almost and profoundly beautiful I see the merit in the continue offering of this prayer and begging for the special intentions close to my heart. (I say that because some repetitious things can seem strange to do, or even superstitious to some, but I just don't feel that with this prayer, it is like an continual inner focus on midnight on Christmas Eve.)

Just thought my feelings might be helpful for those who struggle with the amount of times it is said in a day.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I had no idea about these special traditions. Thank you to all...I have a beloved son Andrew and it it time for me to learn! (I've just been hugging him a lot today and saying: "Happy Feast Day!!!" excitedly; and of course, he has no idea what his mother is going on about....but I am so grateful for him. We need to celebrate.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

aussieannie wrote:

So because it is deep, poetical almost and profoundly beautiful I see the merit in the continue offering of this prayer and begging for the special intentions close to my heart. (I say that because some repetitious things can seem strange to do, or even superstitious to some, but I just don't feel that with this prayer, it is like an continual inner focus on midnight on Christmas Eve.)

Just thought my feelings might be helpful for those who struggle with the amount of times it is said in a day.

Thanks Anne
Your thoughts are always very helpful.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks, Anne, for those thoughts. I have never seen this prayer before so I didn't know how to answer everyone's questions about it! I think we will say it fifteen times in a row after Evening Prayer each night--particularly as this year we have a particular intention for it. I can see it's use as an Advent devotion, too, so I'm sure it's worth saying even once a day! I like the ideas of posting it everywhere. I'll talk to dh about it tonight . . .

God Bless!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I put some scottish blackcurrant preserves on the english muffin I had for dinner. Guess what kind of day it has been!

Seriously though, does anyone have any information on this particular devotion (the anticipatory prayer)? Links would be great. Thanks!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote dollylima

Just when I think Ive got this feast thing down, I turn around and Ive missed yet another one.
Ive decided that rather than rake myself over the coals, I will simply mark this day in my dayplanner and shoot for next year.
Mary, your dinner sounds scrumptious and much better than the meatless tacos and broccoli we had going on here!

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00
Mama to MaryElise 7/22/08
Step-mom to Abby, Logan and Luke
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Matilda wrote:
Seriously though, does anyone have any information on this particular devotion (the anticipatory prayer)? Links would be great. Thanks!

Christmas Anticipation Prayer

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version