Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Deployments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I know some of you have been in this situation before. How do you prepare? What are some things you have done to stay close.

Also, I have questions about support groups, what do you do? This is not an established unit but forming just for this mission. Dh thinks there are folks from every state represented and none of us know each other.

I'm not sure what I need.....I am just getting off that river in Egypt...you know da'Nile.........

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh Mary Chris... no idea, but

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I assume you've already thought of basic things like computer access for both of you (a lifesaver, really...my dh diagnosed car problems online during a cruise).

Perhaps the two of you could go out for dinner or dessert and talk honestly about how much you want/think you'll be able to e-mail. I used to e-mail dh every day, and he was pretty good about responding, but if he were doing an IA in Iraq now, I'm not sure he'd have that kind of time.

Another thing to recognize is that some things are very hard for absent dads to watch. My dh never, ever watched the videos I sent of my dd's crawling and toddling stages; he just couldn't. That's OK...again, honest discussion (without kids to interrupt) helps.

Be sure (practical me!) to have him list all the seasonal car things and house things he'd like you to do. Then, tell him you'll do your best but can't guarantee everything will be done. (Have him list WHERE to get these things done, too, if you don't know.) This includes turning off the water for the winter (outside), emergency procedures (where's the gas main?), when to have the car's oil changed, stuff like that.

Regarding your spouses' group, if they're all over the place, is it an online group? Perhaps the leaders of the group should decide and tell everyone what the group's purpose(s) will be - info only, bulletin boards for various topics, regional social events - ??? - this can go any way the group likes. If everyone's spread out, you'll likely find that everyone needs info from the group but is more likely to find emotional support closer to where they physically live.

I'm with you on the river thing - do PM or call if you want to talk more about all this.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Part of the support group thing is that I might be the one that makes it happen. We have not been in a real "military community" in 12 years when dh was on a Sub. I don't know what is out there for spouses and what spouses need.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version