Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: almost 9 mo old won't eat baby food & ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Ok, I probably sound lame asking this since she is my 5th baby, but my almost 9 mo old dd will not eat any baby food. I have never had this problem before with any of the other babies. They were all eating baby food by now and loved it. But this baby refuses it. She is teething right now but I wasn't sure if that was part of the problem or what? She *loves* to nurse and lately has been super clingy and wants to nurse a lot, which is probably because of the teething. She just will not open her mouth for the baby food but seems interested in grabbing at my plate. I know she isn't ready for table food yet because she doesn't mash things yet. Has this happened to others?

Ok now on another note. She sleeps with me (dh is deployed) and she has been nursing all night long. We flip back and forth so much all night it's like wrestling an alligator (she's a big baby) I'm beginning to wonder if there will be room in the bed for DH when he comes home I have never nursed this long (long story short, basically I didn't have support from other nursing moms at the time like I do now so I didn't know what I was doing so I thought the nursing all the time meant I was not making enough, etc) so I really don't know about all the later in the first year stuff. Is it "normal" for her to be nursing *all* night long?

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Jess wrote:
Ok, I probably sound lame asking this since she is my 5th baby, but my almost 9 mo old dd will not eat any baby food. I have never had this problem before with any of the other babies. They were all eating baby food by now and loved it. But this baby refuses it. She is teething right now but I wasn't sure if that was part of the problem or what? She *loves* to nurse and lately has been super clingy and wants to nurse a lot, which is probably because of the teething. She just will not open her mouth for the baby food but seems interested in grabbing at my plate. I know she isn't ready for table food yet because she doesn't mash things yet. Has this happened to others?

Yes, my daughter, now 6, would have nothing to do with any kind of baby food. She went straight from the breast to table food, starting the transition around 10 months.   Early on in the process her favorite thing was oatmeal (the heavy kind you have to cook for a while), mashed fruit, applesauce, pasta cut small, really soft cooked carrots; but nothing from a jar, ever. She also didn't have very many teeth until she was fifteen months old, but somehow she managed to get food down without choking. Don't ask me how!

Hope this helps.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote doris

There seems to be a big movement over here at the moment (and maybe over there too?) called 'baby led weaning'. There's a blog about it. A couple of my friends do it and swear by it -- they said that they just couldn't get a spoon in their babies' mouths. I was concerned about choking but apparently it's not a problem. Also, from observation, the babies who wean this way have *amazing* hand-eye co-ordination and are very unfussy.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but HTH!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

You are doing well, Jess. Yes, what you describe is very normal for a nursing baby both in the eating and sleeping areas . Many babies, my own included, skip the baby food stage completely, and go straight to "table food." Here's a nice article from www.kellymom.com with lots of helpful links.

I've noticed that babies with older siblings often get their nursing/mommy needs met by nursing at night. I remember being relieved that my second child was not as heavy a nurser during the day as my first was so we could "get stuff done", but boy did he nurse at night! Here's another article with a lot of links, too, about baby sleep patterns.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My dd hated baby food. I just smashed people food with a fork, adding milk to thin it if necessary, and let her eat it. Otherwise we just fought over my food!

(Dh was deployed, too, wonder if there's a connection.)

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I don't blame them! Have you tasted that stuff? Yuck!
I'd like to hope my cooking is better than baby food! Not sure what you mean by "doesn't mash things yet"? Why would they mash it? If they are hungry - they grab it and put it in their mouth? To us, mashing the food instead of putting it directly in the mouth is a sign of being done eating.

Sound like everyone's doing fine to me and I wouldn't sweat it at all! What do you think babies did before Gerber came along?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Hi Martha,
I meant she doesn't mash it in her mouth, or chew Thanks everyone for all the advice and thanks Angie for the links.

The baby led weaning seemed confusing. Were they trying to wean off nursing? I don't want to do that but I think I'll just wait a while and see if she's ready for table food a little later on.

Geez, even after five I sometimes feel like a newbie

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

my last one didn't like it much either lol.
she didn't even start eating it until closer to 11 months, and by then I figured 'why??' lol.

sounds like you are doing well!

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

The women above have given you lots of good information. I just want to give you a bit more to think about. My older one got into the habit of nursing all night long and not as much during the day. This did not serve me very well because I NEED my sleep.

With my second, when she got close to this stage, I would try to determine whether she was nursing during the night because she was hungry or just wanted comfort. If it had been less than two hours since her last meal, I would let her latch on but then I would gently break off her suction with my pinky after a minute or so. Often, she just wanted the comfort to help her fall back asleep.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Really I am not even awake for very long when she is nursing so I don't know how long she stays on So I'm not losing a lot of sleep, just when we flip over. I have thought of just nursing her on one side but then I would be so full on the other in the morning *ouch* I wasn't sure if she was just pacifying herself or if she was hungry. She doesn't nurse as much during the day, except for lately since she is teething.
Today I tried giving her a cracker while we were eating and she never even tried to put it in her mouth, just banged it on the tray. So she must just not be ready for other food. Oh well, I'll try later on.

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jess wrote:
Really I am not even awake for very long when she is nursing so I don't know how long she stays on So I'm not losing a lot of sleep, just when we flip over.

Oh! Jess, have you tried not flipping over yet still nursing from both sides? Let's see if I can explain this...mom is laying on her right side and offering her right breast to baby. Baby is done (and either wants more or falls asleep.) When baby is ready for more, mom stays on her right side but tilts her left shoulder toward baby to offer the left breast. This isn't always doable with young babies but you might want to give it a try. I remember the day when a mom mentioned this "trick" to me with my first baby and I it has worked like a charm for me .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Hmmmm....would that work if mom wasn't too well endowed if you KWIM?

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jess wrote:
Hmmmm....would that work if mom wasn't too well endowed if you KWIM?

Yep .

Love,

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Cool I'll have to try that, thanks!

Good news on the eating front, she ate some organic vanilla yogurt this morning. I was eating some so I thought I would see if she wanted a taste, and she loved it!

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

LOL! Now you will never have to eat a carton of vanilla yogurt alone again!!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I didn't see whether anyone answered the "weaning" question, but in the UK "weaning" means "learning to eat solid food," not "stopping nursing."

Sally

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Elena, yeah now I won't feel so bad Especially since I get those 32oz ones! She gobbled it up! Maybe she just didn't like the baby food, it is pretty yucky.

Sally, that is good to know because I thought it meant stopping nursing. Wow, it always amazes me how the lingo is different in "English" speaking countries. Thanks for clearing that up!

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Well, I'm American but lived in England and had a baby there, so that particular family of language differences was one I really noticed!

Sally

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

SallyT wrote:
I didn't see whether anyone answered the "weaning" question, but in the UK "weaning" means "learning to eat solid food," not "stopping nursing."

Sally

It means "stopping nursing" too, but more commonly it means "learning to eat solids" (as in the Baby Led Weaning sense).

I largely did Baby Led Weaning with my toddler, and it worked beautifully. I did mash some food for her, but I never did purees and she started straight into finger food. I was truly amazed at what a baby with no teeth could manage - even meat could be gummed pretty thoroughly, and any bits she couldn't get small enough she just spat out. Lettuce was a problem, though .

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Well the yogurt gave her a rash and I think it upset her tummy a little, so we are back to square one Oh well, I'll just hold off and see if she'll eat finger foods a little later on. Thanks so much for all the ideas and help

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version