Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Catholic Mosaic for 4 yo? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

I have seen Cay Gibson's Catholic Mosaic and it looks interesting. Would this be a good book to get since my oldest is only (nearly) 4? She has already enjoyed reading a lot and has even enjoyed such books as Charlette's Web and now the Little House in the Big Woods. I am especially interested in the Christmas Mosaic.

Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Hello, simplemama.   

I'm sorry it took me awhile to get to your message but I finely made it. And, if you have any more questions, please...ask a way!

When I was putting CM together, my youngest dd was 3, going on 4. She loved the activities we did and I often found her sitting on the floor looking at the pictures in the books. She wouldn't always stay still for readings of the longer books which I was primarily reading with my 7 year old and 11 year old.

This year I'm using some of the books in my 4th grade classroom. They work beautifully for this age group. I've been affirmed, yet again, just how awesome picture books are for using with older children.

Can a preschooler use and enjoy Catholic Mosaic ? I think this is exactly the age you need to start using it if you want your child to develop a love for and an understanding of the liturgical year. And a new liturgical year is fixing to begin in a couple of weeks.

Your daughter sounds extremely bright and receptive towards books so Catholic Mosaic would work very well with her. Even if you don't use it for another year or so, I think it'd be beneficial for you to read through the books and the activities. Get a feel for what's in it and how it is used. Get the pre-reading and pre-planning (not much involved really) out of the way.

Here is a free study guide as well as a free Easter PDF sample for you to go through.

The free booklist is listed in PDF file here: Catholic Mosaic Booklist.

The featured books in Catholic Mosaic that work well with pre-schoolers are:

• The Little Match Girl
  • The Last Straw
  • Hosanna to You, Jesus
  • Little Rose of Sharon
  • Pascual and the Kitchen Angels
  • Angel in the Waters
  • I Sing a Song of the Saints of God
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • The Crippled Lamb

Your child might react positively to several others but these are the ones that are brief enough to expect a pre-schooler to sit through and I have seen proof-positive that young children are receptive. A couple of these books I listed because I remember being drawn to them at a very young age.

Regarding Christmas Mosaic , go here as I am fixing to list the pre-school appropriate books featured in it.

Thank you for asking.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

Cay, thank you so much for your answer. I actually did go back later to some of the old posts where you had replied to a similar thread so thank you for repeating that for me! ;) You may have already said this too, but if I could only afford one, should I go with the Catholic Mosaic or the Christmas Mosaic?
Thank you for reminding me that the new year does start with Advent! What a great time to start, at the beginning.

Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

simplemama wrote:
   You may have already said this too, but if I could only afford one, should I go with the Catholic Mosaic or the Christmas Mosaic?
Thank you for reminding me that the new year does start with Advent! What a great time to start, at the beginning.

Yow!

Anyone?

Just kidding...

Well, I really don't know. Using logic here , we have 39 days, 14 hours, 52 minutes until Christmas Day (give or take a few minutes ).

Advent begins in 16 days.

You will find in "Catholic Mosaic" enough Christmas boooks listed in December to get your through this year. Several here already had "Catholic Mosaic" from last year and read those books. "Christmas Mosaic" is an expansive form of the Advent season. But there are a few in "Catholic Mosaic".

Then, again, "Christmas Mosaic" is cheaper (introductory price of $15.99 until Jan. 1). You could buy "Christmas Mosaic" and just download the free booklist for "Catholic Mosaic" and work through that until you can purchase "Catholic Mosaic".

Perhaps someone online can help you decide which one to get first.

One other option is to go with "Christmas Mosaic" this year and watch my blog for an upcoming Book Walk (like a Cake Walk) to win a copy of "Catholic Mosaic".   

Today's Book Walk is for Alice Cantrell's "Tea and Cake with the Saints". So don't miss that opportunity. Just email me your name and mailing address and your # will go into a cake bowl for a drawing tonight.

I'm not being much help am I?

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote aiereis

Cay, I have a question. At one point I think that Margot said that soon all the Catholic Mosaics will be printed in color. Am I remembering correctly? If so, do you know when this will happen? Thanks!

Christina
Back to Top View aiereis's Profile Search for other posts by aiereis

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Christina,
Yes, the Catholic Mosaic book does have an all color version now. And I do mean ALL COLOR! It's beautiful. I have a copy on my personal shelf.

It's exactly, I mean ex-act-i-ly what I envisioned when I wrote Catholic Mosaic.

Everything is in color except the pictures drawn by artist Sean. That's why the colored-version price went up. Extra color. Extra cost. Sorry.

Catholic Mosaic is still offered into B & W though because some people want (and need) an affordable copy and the colored print is quite high.

But I prefer the colored version. It is beautiful and the print is brighter and the pages are whiter and sleeker.

We did "Christmas Mosaic" in B & W because I really wanted to offer families a more affordable book. My first two books were so pricey and I hate that. But the cost of printing is what it is and I have no control over that. And neither does my publisher.

Hope this helps!

mom to 5

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

Cay, thanks you did help! I actually just dedicated my evening (kids fell asleep early and dh was gone) to looking up the book list and was happily surprised to find that many of the titles are available at my public library! Then I can decide which ones to buy easier by borrowing them first. I also found the listmania someone made with your book list, what a God-sent! I can't tell you how excited I am to begin using this method to help bring the Body of Christ alive to our family!
I did look at your sample study guide, this may be a bit too much just yet, i'm not sure yet. Are all the books you use listed in the book list you sent me? Or are those just the ones for preschool-aged children?

Thank you and I hope I am not a bother with these questions!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version