Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Epiphany Celebration -which day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

I read in one of my Catholic tradition books that the Epiphany traditionally happens on Jan 6th, but the church now celebrates it on a particular Sunday so it may happen before Jan 6th. I like the idea of celebrating on the traditional Jan 6th date, but I hesitate to do that because of missing the Mass. Does anyone know the reason for the inconsistent date now? What do families in this forum do? Do you keep the Jan 6th date to celebrate or do you follow the church calendar? Also, Ann Ball's book has the epiphany on Jan 5th and Three Kings Day or Twelfth Night on Jan 6th. Now I'm really confused. I thought the epiphany was the day the Three Kings came to visit our Lord. This cradle Catholic needs some clarification

Thank you for reading,

Elizabeth
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Just to clarify, I would still go to the epiphany Mass on Sunday, but I'm wanting to know what day people celebrate in their home.

Elizabeth
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well.. it sorta depends.. sometimes our schedule makes more sense to do something on the Sunday.. other times it's so early you want to wait.

There's so many dates that get shifted around to make them on the nearest Sunday.. that I just give the kids the same explaination.

*We celebrate at Church on the nearest Sunday to make it easier for everyone to be able to attend the Mass.*

With my dh's work we often celebrate even birthdays on a convenient day vs the precise day so it's a very normal thing for my kids and doesn't really cause any problems.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We do our stockings every year on Little Christmas, aka as the Epiphany. So we celebrate that on Jan 6th -- but we also celebrate the Sunday feast of the Epiphany as celebrated here in the American Church (in Austria and other places, January 6th is STILL the Epiphany). So we get two days out of it. Whichever is later is the last day we have the tree and decorations up.

Clear as mud?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

This year, you are in luck. January 6th is on a Sunday--no question.

I think that Epiphany has different meanings in Eastern Catholicism. It is the celebration of Christ appearing to the world. So, the wise men are part of that (they were not Jewish), as well as the wedding at Cana, and if I'm not mistaken, Christ's baptism. Its a very "mystical" thing (epiphany=revelation of Christ), and a bit different than just the visitation of the magi that the Roman rite emphasizes. I wonder if the differentiation in dates might also be related to the different rites and their calendars and what they refer to things as. You might check a non-Roman source to clarify somewhat. That could explain slightly different dates.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is a great Epiphany thread from the past. There was discussion of both traditions and the date celebrated.

Currently the tradition is to recognize 12th night on the evening of the 5th of January - the eve of Epiphany, but it can also be considered to be the evening of the 6th in some older traditions. This is because of when people considered a new day to begin in ancient times(night follows day vs. day follows night). Found a pretty good explanation here
which would account for differences in exact date of epiphany/12th night celebration between 5th or 6th (either could be correct).

The celebration of Epiphany on the 1st Sunday after Christmas instead of on January 6th came with the reforms on the liturgical calendar in 1970. I really don't know the spcific explanation other than that by transferring to a Sunday it made it a time when more people would celebrate with Mass. (Jenn, need your clear explanantion ).

We celebrate both dates in our house - 1st Sunday as part of the Church community at Mass and actaully on the 6th for cultural and family traditions.

These two sites have some specifics on celebrating.
Women for Faith & Family
Catholic Culture

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CrunchyMom wrote:
This year, you are in luck. January 6th is on a Sunday--no question.

Yay!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

We always celebrate on Jan 6th, too, and we also call it Little Christmas. My Grandmother from Russia ALWAYS did this, so we do, too.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

CrunchyMom wrote:
It is the celebration of Christ appearing to the world. So, the wise men are part of that (they were not Jewish), as well as the wedding at Cana, and if I'm not mistaken, Christ's baptism.

This is also true in the Roman rite. Perhaps one doesn't notice it as easily. But, if you pray the breviary, there is a very real connection between Epiphany, the Wedding Feast of Cana and the Baptism of the Lord: They are all manifestations of Christ's appearance and Divinity in the world.

We celebrate on the Sunday - the way the Church has her calendar. If you follow the older calendar throughout the year, I guess you would celebrate on Jan 6.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Mary G wrote:
We do our stockings every year on Little Christmas, aka as the Epiphany. So we celebrate that on Jan 6th -- but we also celebrate the Sunday feast of the Epiphany as celebrated here in the American Church (in Austria and other places, January 6th is STILL the Epiphany). So we get two days out of it. Whichever is later is the last day we have the tree and decorations up.

Clear as mud?

this is what we do too. works out great this year, in a way, but we'll miss the "double celebration!! "

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version