Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Costco milk complaint Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I don't know where else to vent this...so maybe someone else has these same feelings...

Have all the Costcos changed their gallon milk jugs? They have here and while I understand they probably pack together better...ARGH...I have never had children spill so much milk while pouring and even I have trouble sometime! There is always, always a trail and little puddles all over the counter. I can tell where each child had poured (attempted to!) milk into their cereal bowls. I don't have this problem with the good old "classic" milk jug.

My 12yold dd, whose nightly job it is to set the table, including pouring milks, absolutely refuses when we have gone to Costco to pour the milks because she is tired of the clean up after.

Like I said, is it just us? Are we the only inept Costco milk jug pourers ...I'm hoping there are more of you out there   

And to head off any Montessori advice...yes we have a pouring tray, but there is nothing (I have found!) that simulates the wacky style of that milk jug

Looks like I have issues!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

don't have a costco.. but what about getting a gallon pitcher to pour the milk into so that you can do it and it only needs to happen once?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Well you know we don't have those problems!
1. Don't belong to Costco (fear of going out of control) and...
2. We hardly drink any milk! Hard cheese please!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I don't go to Costco, so I'm not sure about their milk jugs -- but I have a 1/2 gallon pitcher that I pour milk into that makes it easier for the boys to pour their own, and also looks nice on the table. It's white, with a glass interior, picked up at K-Mart for less than $6.

I got it because I didn't like the look of the plastic jug on the table, but the added benefit was that it was easier for the boys to use. (Now, if only I could help DH remember to put it BACK in the refrigerator so the milk doesn't spoil . . . )

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I completely agree!!!! I hate those new jugs . I spilled it every time I poured the milk. I stopped even buying them because they irritated me so much. Actually, I haven't even renewed our membership because as Maryan said, "going out of control". I'm pretty good, but take my husband and you could add another $100 to the bill. I decided we weren't saving any money because we would buy so many things we didn't normally buy or didn't need.

They do have some things cheaper, but overall, we're actually doing better without the membership.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I couldn't agree more. The first time I saw these at Costco, I said right then and there, "Were these invented by someone who wants to discourage independence in young children?" Absolutely -- I spill them a lot of the time, too; it certainly happens a lot more with a child who is shorter (compared to the counter) and not as strong.

Peace,
Nancy

ETA: The supposed savings from the lower price of milk at Costco is eliminated by the amount of spilled milk that gets wasted.
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, now I am dying to know...what do they look like? (No Costco around here).

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Well I pm'ed Theresa with a link to a blog I found while googling about this. There were several blogs that had entries just about the obnoxious new jug. I didn't want to put the link in here since I can't verify what else is on that blog...but if you are curious...just google "costco milk jug" and several hits will come up.

Here is my "Kacky is really not that great in the kitchen" question...if you put the milk in a nicer pitcher...what happens if you don't drink it all at one sitting, the amount in the pitcher? I always assumed the milk would go bad if you left it open to the air, even when it is put back in the fridge. Then I figured I'd never pour enough or I'll pour too much...see...I'm not that good in the kitchen!

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

get a pitcher with a lid.. there's no more air in the pitcher than in the milk jug after you pour some out.

It'll be fine. I would want a lid just to slow down accidents anyway (tipping, splashing when moving etc)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

New jugs??? I'm getting ready to make our weekly milk run to Costco - 8 gallons. Last week the milk was still in a plastic 1 gal. jug. I'll be very interested to see what I find there. As it is, even my 10 year old has trouble with the normal gal. jug when it's newly opened since it's so heavy so I have a rule that they're not to try to pour unless 1/2 empty. How I wish they could leave things alone!

Janet

Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Duh! Can you tell I have all open-air pitchers here?! Well the nice ones are...the only lidded (is that word??) ones I have are tupperware.

Now for a pitcher hunt...

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote MommyD

Aren't they supposed to be lowering the price of milk with the new jugs? We don't have a Costco but I did see a news story about it. They are "square" so they can stack them instead of putting the milk on shelves. I thought they said that this would lower the price of milk?!?

Melissa
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, I've seen it now (thanks for the link, Kacky) and agree that it is hideous and looks unwieldy as well. I would definitely put it in a pitcher. A gallon of milk never lasts more than a day here anyways, so even an open one would be OK, and besides, we don't have Costco here so I will shut up now.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Well I was there last week and paid $3.39 per gallon...which although is less than the grocery store...I don't remember how it compares to past Costco milk costs. I feel like at one time it was $3.18 (I seem to remember an '18'...but I don't know for sure). Oh...and we drink the 2%. That would be nice to get some sort of something out of the deal.

And you know, even though they stack nicely, they don't fit on those old milk shelves in their cases, so they are usually strewn on the floor and I'm betting they have more milk spills too because they just stack them on top of each other without any shelving support.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We hate them too. My kids even complain about them! But their price on milk is still cheaper than anywhere else local. I think I'll look into a pitcher...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

The other thing about those dumb new jugs is, it seems to me at least, the opening in the top is a larger diameter than the opening on a *normal* milk jug. Yet another way to spill even more milk.

BUT, I'll shut up about these jugs now, because the reality is this is all easy to avoid by just using a pitcher.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

We're in TX and just bought milk at Costco -- they are the same cardboard traditional container although they did redesign the box they come in. I really hope we don't get those new jugs - how awful.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I just bought milk 2 weeks ago Costco and it was still in the gallon plastic jug, packed two in the box. What do the new ones look like?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Our Costco in Fredericksburg still has the old ones, but when dh stops in Manassas it is the new jugs. We hate them too!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Here's a pic of the new jug

I can see the problems .....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version