Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Potty at Night Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

For your dc 7 and under:

Do they wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom? Or do they hold it?

Has it changed from when they first night-trained? Or have they always done it this way?   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

My daughter usually holds it (she'll be five in a few weeks), unless she is sick or awakened for another reason. Luckily she is capable of taking herself to and from on her own, although I usually do hear her (when the toilet seat thunks) and go check.

She actually stayed dry at night for several months before she stayed dry during the day. Of course she stopped taking naps at 2 1/2, so she would go and go all day and then pass out for 12 hours at night. I kept her in pull-ups for a long time, though, because she would hold in her bowel movements and at night they would come out involuntarily and sometimes put pressure on her bladder.

I do always make sure she goes before bedtime, and then she usually needs to go within a half-hour of waking.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The big thing is how much they drink before bed time ... I never keep a cup of water by their beds as whenever I did this, it often resulted in wet sheets -- ugh!

My youngest is the most amazing ... if he falls asleep early (sometimes at dinner ) he can go all night and into the next morning before he "goes" ... after he's gotten up, checked to see if anyone else is up and generally forgotten all about going potty.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Mary's absolutely right---water control is the key! Starting about 5pm you've got to monitor the amount of water they drink. Also, any liquid snacks/desserts need to be banned, ie., berries and milk.

I also found that my dd was holding it and/or waking up to go much earlier than my ds reached that stage... so sex of child have something to do with it too. Or maybe its just different from kid to kid?

hth
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

One daughter sleeps through the night. One daughter almost always wakes up every night to go during the night.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

My 3 never wake to use the toilet at night, and never wet the bed. Each of them goes to bed with a cup of water, as well.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

So, there are a FEW of you whose dc wake during the night. Everyone I know IRL....their kids sleep through the night. Hence, my question. Thanks.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Suzanne, missed this -- my 6 yo gets up to go to the bathroom, if he doesn't then he wets his bed.

My 4 yo HAS to wear a pull up because he sleeps through the night and doesn't wake up to go to the bathroom.

My 2 yo is totally not there yet.

This is from the boy world... , but I do know some IRL friends whose boys do better than mine.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

My oldest,6and 3 yr old are dry all night, it is my 8, 10 and 12 yr old who have trouble at night. They are very deep sleepers with small bladders. My husband wakes them up before he goes to bed around 11:30pm to go to the bathroom, if not the beds will be wet in the morning.

This is a hardship for the 10 and 12 year old-times they have stayed over with a friend.

My husband and mother both wet the bed until about age 13, so I am hoping they will grow out of this also.

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version