Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Favorite Thanksgiving Ideas... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

If one of these threads has been started, please ignore, I haven't seen it yet!

Also, I wasn't sure of where to post this, so if it should be on another board, feel free to move it! :)

Ok, so can ya'll share your favorite thanksgiving lesson ideas, books, crafts, kid-fun stuff to do?

I have just posted my favorite ideas on my blog...but really, I'm wanting to fill up the whole month of November with Thanksgiving, pilgrims, thankfulness stuff - so I thought I'd ask here! I love the crafts that you ladies come up with, so I thought I would ask here!

HERE are my thanksgiving ideas I have posted about.

Thanks, friends!
Candace

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Mare

Candace,

I like your Thanksgiving ideas! There were a few books that you listed which I hadn’t read. I’ll have to see if our library has them.

My girls are doing “presentations” on a Thanksgiving related topic. My oldest is writing about the Pilgrims. She has a colonial style dress she wants to wear when she does her presentation. My next oldest is writing about the history of Thanksgiving while my other two want to write about the Native Americans.

Here are some of the books that we’ll be reading this month.

Raven by Gerald McDermott
Dancing with the Indians by Angela Medearis
The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin
Turkey’s Gift to the People by Ani Rucki
Children of the Earth and the Sky by Stephen Krensky
The Pilgrim’s First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern
Giving Thanks: The 1621 Harvest Feast by Kate Waters
Tapenum’s Day: A Wampanoag Indian Boy in Pilgrim Times by Kate Waters
Samuel Eaton’s Day by Kate Waters
Sarah Morton’s Day by Kate Waters
Mayflower 1620 by Peter Arenstam, John Kemp, and Catherine O’Neill Grace
Thank you, Sarah – The Woman who Saved Thanksgiving by Lurie Halse Anderson

Last year I read The Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret Pumphrey as our read aloud for November. My girls enjoyed it but it was rather long. I decided that we’ll do it as a read aloud every other year.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We always attend Mass on Thanksgiving Day.

I like the thanksgiving tree you illustrated. We have made turkeys from apples with raisens, and hand print and marshmellows. We always have some sort of time for pausing to thank God for the many blessings during the year. One year we made turkeys using construction paper hands and on each finger wrote something we were thankful for - then made those turkeys into some sort of centerpiece or bulletin board. Now I'm not artistic and am craft impaired so none of this was all that beautiful to look at - but it worked for us. We also have made a cornecopia out of construction paper, with the different fruit representing either the gifts of the spirit or things/people for which we are thankful.

We generally have to keep our activities short and to the point so they can be done with our family before the extended family gathering - we all share in the preparation but choose a large house with lots of kid friendly space. We always all gather at one house and that is utter but delightful chaos with over 22 children running around.   We have used white paper table clothes and children have drawn on them or we have all listed something for which we are thankful - but really with that big of a crowd, it generally goes better if we have laid back things going on.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version