Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: vaccinations? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Margaret
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Margaret

Do you have your children vaccinated? If there are any that you do not have done, which ones are they?
Thanks-
Love,
Margaret
Back to Top View Margaret's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

We pick and choose, based on the Children of God for life list. My problem with vaccines is using ones that contained aborted fetal cells. That's why I use the COG list.
The 'tainted' ones are primarily chicken pox, and the MMR vaccine, although I do Mumps and Measles in a single-vaccine dose, which is a bit tricky to get.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

afranciscan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote afranciscan

We are selective for health reasons. We have done T and D minus the P for all kids. Our son with weak lungs had some of the others based on our experience with having whooping cough. Yes that's reality of it. Four of us, myself included, had whooping cough (pertussis) while living in 300 square feet next to the home we were building. It was pretty intense. Think 2 months of coughing to the point of vommitting, and coughing ribs out of place at night. We didn't have any "complications" just a straight forward case. I can see why they developed a vaccine for it! For busy homeschoolers too I might add that it is very inconvenient as was chick pox which we also had. Both of those were when my children were fairly young. I sometimes think how much more difficult it would be to go through one of those childhood illness when I have more kids committed to more activities and we are stretched thinner in general. I revisit the vaccine issue in general every so often and inconvenience is a factor that is now weighed in with the obvious questions of risk to the children etc. I take each disease and ask what would it be like if we actually got the disease, what are the symptoms, what are the chances of actually getting it? Fortunately we had a doctor who was willing to tell us which ones he really urged us to get and why and he was understanding when we were selective and he ordered individual vaccines for us if we didn't want a whole group. I've never felt completely at peace about it and I know I wouldn't feel at peace if i just went with whatever the current recommendations at a given time might be. I've watched that change a lot over the last 14 years and I don't believe the drug companies have my children's health as their primary interest. It's so hard to know what to do.

http://tippettfamilynotes.blogspot.com/
Jennie Lou
Married my prince charming in 1993, ds 94, dd 97, dd 00, ds 02, twin ds from Liberia 03, dd 04, dd 08
Back to Top View afranciscan's Profile Search for other posts by afranciscan Visit afranciscan's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

We are also selective about vaccination. We do not do the one for chickenpox because we feel it is better for our children to contract the disease and build a life-long immunity to it rather than be subject to receiving booster shots throughout their lives so that they don't contract it when they're older and the disease is more life-threatening.

Of the scheduled vaccines in America we also have not done MMR or Hepatitis B. I am not opposed to an individual measles vaccine and would vaccinate my girls against rubella if there was an individual vaccine for it that did not utilize aborted fetal cells. Perhaps by the time they are in their child-bearing years they will have one. As for Hepatitis B, it is probably a vaccine they will have to get when they are older. I just don't feel it's necessary to inoculate them as babies.

I have only vaccinated my first-born with the pneumococcal vaccine because I was working full-time, she was at a babysitter and my ability to nurse her was severly limited. Now, since I homeschool, we can be more selective and vaccines like the pneumococcal one aren't necessary. That said, I think it is important to revisit our decisions about vaccinations as our kids grow up and our circumstances change.
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

I just heard a report this morning (on NPR) about how widespread use of the pneumococcal vaccine has now caused a strep-pneumo super "bug" to emerge. They are seeing cases of it the Rochester, NY area. Basically kids are getting ear infections that just don't respond to any medications except high doses of antibiotics intended for adults. When they first brought out this vaccine years ago I remember being told how convenient it would be, less ear infections. I also knew at the time that some experts already worried that if they tried to eradicate the "run-of-the-mill" strains that it was possible some very resistant strains would come along. None of my children ever received it.

I go back and forth on this. My oldest 3 got everything on time, except chicken pox and pneumococcal. The next 2 I know are missing some of the boosters they were supposed to get when they were a little older. My almost three year old and my one year old have none. I am really torn, as I am getting pressure to get back on track. I will read this thread through as I need advice from both sides to help us sort this out.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

WayTruthLife
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote WayTruthLife

We also follow the Children of God for life. We don't do any vaccine that is used from aborted babies. We also don't do the pertusis in DTAP. My baby had a reaction to it (high fever, body rash). As much as I would like to say that I am completely comfortable with our decision, I still worry that we made the wrong choice to withhold certain vaccines. I think if you vaccinate or not, you will always have those parental worries!

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

We have chosen not to vaccinate our youngest 5. But I did question our decision 3 1/2 years ago, when the youngest 5 got whooping cough. This was very terrifying. They were sich for 4 months. Our youngest was 1 1/2 at the time. Three months after that they all got chicken pox, with one of them getting very sick.

This is a very tough decision, and now that our baby is coming, I need to read all my books again, while at the same time remembering what we all went through with them.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Dh is a doctor, and we enthusiastically vaccinate our children. However, in the UK we don't vaccinate for chicken pox. Also, I've only just got clued up about the use of aborted cell lines in vaccines -- and there's no alternative to some of them, at least in the UK, plus using the alterntives where available involves a lot of extra expense, whereas the regular ones are free. (Vegans are allowed to request vaccines derived from non-animal sources but Catholics can't make the same request about using ethical vaccines... don't get me started!) So I'm not sure what we'll do about the next round of boosters that are now due -- there's a useful Vatican document on the subject, which we'll have to ponder.

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

We do, but no combos. We get each vaccine seperately, and our doctors have all been fine with it.

I had both mumps and scarlet fever as a child, with lingering health problems, so I feel that it is important to prevent what we can.

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

WayTruthLife wrote:
I think if you vaccinate or not, you will always have those parental worries!

Oh,this is so true.
My son has allergy-induced asthma. Because of this, it is recommended that he receive a flu shot every year. He has so far gotten one every year since infancy. (He was part of an ear infection/flu shot study at Childrens Hospital as a baby.) We make a special request for the mercury-free vaccine.

Every year I have the debate with myself over again.

It is so nice to be participating on a message board where people understand that every mother believes she is doing the right thing for her kids and that even if we come up with different answers, we are all doing our best for the sake of our children.
I cant tell you all how pleased I am to have found this forum. It is unlike any other message board Ive ever read.
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Ruth wrote:
We have chosen not to vaccinate our youngest 5. But I did question our decision 3 1/2 years ago, when the youngest 5 got whooping cough. This was very terrifying.

There was a year whooping cough went all through our small town when I was in my teens. My siblings and I all had it -- the older vaccinated ones and the younger unvaccinated ones. Families who had taken every shot and booster available got it. Some families who didn't vaccinate didn't get it . . .

It seems that you just can't be sure you are getting the immunities/ And just because you aren't vaccinated doesn't mean you are GOING to get it. This is what the whooping cough year taught me.

FWIW

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

We selectively vaxed oldest DS for purely ethical reasons using the COG for life guidelines to know which ones to skip (and also skipped a few we just found plain unnecessary, like Prevnar and Hepatitis B).

I have since come to question whether his ongoing allergy issues are due to the vaccines he did receive. I doubt we will vaccinate this second baby at all. Vaccines are only tested on healthy children, and baby #2 has a kidney issue, so I don't know how his body would process the toxins in the shots compared to his perfectly normal older brother. I just can't wrap my mind around dumping heavy metals, preservatives and multiple viruses into a body with a "broken filter."
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I think the medical community is just now discovering that there is a need for ANOTHER pertussis booster sometime into the teen years or beyond. Also, I think I read somewhere that there may not be a natural immunity built up once a person has had pertussis

Several of my children came down with what we eventually figured out was whooping cough a couple of years ago. I (vaccinated eons ago) had some symptoms, more cold-like than anything. My oldest, who was fully vaccinated as a baby, was the only one who didn't have any symptoms. The next oldest, who was only partially immunized, had some symptoms but not severe. The four youngest were affected the greatest, and it was about 6-8 weeks until they were fully recovered.

My best guess as to how they contracted it was from exposure to my MIL who supposedly had bronchitis. FIL had said she was coughing so hard, she was vomiting, so I think the doc just diagnosed it as bronchitis since she had been vaccinated for pertussis (nursing home office staff).

I did start a heavy-duty sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) regimen for all of us, and that seemed to lessen the severity of the symptoms. But now with a new child due, I'm rethinking the pertussis vaccine...it was a really LONG 6-8 weeks, with not a lot of sleep, and I'd rather not repeat it.

So, yeah, I reevaluate from time to time, depending on circumstances and ages of my children.

VAlerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I was fully vaccinated and I got pertussin 3 yrs ago. My dc have not received any vacs. we treated them homepathically for prevention and they never got it. We got it from a family of fully vaccinated children.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

My dh went to the top medical school in the nation (please understand, I say this definitely not to brag but to stress that we did not come about this decision lightly - he was definitely taught immunizations are vital). For years he has towed the AMA party line on vaccines; yet within the last 5 years he has come full circle. We started questioning things about the same time (he had just returned from a conference with a Houston immunology expert who told him he would never let his family get the flu vaccine). It made us begin a journey of research, worry & more research.

Our sixth is the only one without any vaccinations. Our others have a smattering but I do not vaccinate them further or do well child check ups. We will not do any vaccines unless there is a major outbreak of something in our area or the children reach maturity & no longer have immature developing immune systems.

I do enjoy the book ( I loaned it out so it is not handy titlewise) called something like How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

we follow the Children of God recommendations, we also vaccinate starting at a year or older, and only one vaccination at a time, with at least a 45 day space before another.
My christian homeschooling Dr is totally fine with whatever we choose to do- I love having no external pressure!!
My 4 boys all had chicken pox- it was honestly, for us at least, much easier than the stomach bug or a bad cold!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

5athome wrote:
How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.

Yes, that is the title, and I was very much influenced by it early on in my parenting journey. I wish I still had my copy to loan out to my newest neighbor. She freaks out every time her daughter has even the slightest fever, and then is baffled when the fever keeps coming back despite dosing the poor child w/Motrin. (And she's a nurse...you would think she'd know these things). But, I'm getting off the topic.

And Chicken Lady....what homeopathics are used for pertussis? Like I said, we did the high dose sodium ascorbate, and it had a very positive effect on those who already were showing symptoms.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Valerie,
I think for most specific illnesses there are homeopathic nosodes to treat each one. Same principle as other remedies: taking an extremely small portion of the pathogen/germ/toxin -- they are sometimes called "homeopathic vaccines."
Is that what you were talking about Molly?

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I no longer vaccinate, I believe it is a conspiracy to make us unhealthy. Our government does not want us to be healthy. Lots of info here:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/vaccines/index.htm
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

We do all the recommended vaccines except:
1. Heb B. - not necessary for my little ones not in school or day care.
2. Chicken Pox - heard better immunity if we get it

And last Sunday we were exposed (unintentionally) by our neighbor cousins to chicken pox, so now we're playing the waiting game to see if we get it. And PLEASE come now, and hurry, so it MIGHT be over by Christmas or by the time the baby comes.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version