Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Lots of Q's on Catechism Presentations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

So I am finally gathering up the courage and energy to put our Home Manuals to use. I am planning on begining with the 3-6 year old Altar Work presentations. I have some questions on the logistics of this.

I am planning on doing this in our bedroom. It's the only quiet, out of the way spot in the house most of the time. I plan on storing the items in our room also, and allowing each child time alone there each day if they choose. Does this sound okay?

Also, I can't figure out if would be best to do the presentations one on one, or with all of the children. I have 4 in the 3-6 age range that I will be working with. I am inclined to do it one on one, but I worry about my stamina. I guess I could do one child/day?

3 of my children are involved in a Catechisis of the Good Shepherd program at a nearby parish also. I am ther with them the whole time, but truth be told, I don't know the 'instructor' at all, and I feel very guarded and concerned that she will add her own 'agenda' to the presentations. I don't know very much about how this program works in a group setting. How will it differ from what we do at home? Has anyone had children do both simultainiously?

Thanks for any input on this, it is all so very new to me. I've had the manuals for awhile, but they've just sat on the shelf until now!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Lisa -

Based on the way I was taught to give presentations in CGS, there is a very standard (almost scripted?) way to give each presentation. This is most true at the 3-6 level. In the older levels there is more room for discussion, but even in 9-12 the discussion is always brought back around to what the Church says about each topic. So, I don't imagine you would need to be very concerned about the catechist at your parish Atrium sharing her own agenda. (Of course, I don't know the particulars of your parish or this catechist; just saying that what I've been taught wouldn't leave room for anyone's invidual viewpoint).

As to presenting to each child separately at home, sometimes it is beneficial to present in a small group (and 4 would still qualify) or to one or two at the same time. The insights and comments each child makes can enrich the meditation of the others. But the choice really does depend on your take on how this would work with your own particular children; there is nothing wrong with presenting to each child individually. I agree, though, that it might be hard on you trying to present the same lesson 4 times.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Nancy, Thank you SO much for your insights.

The only reason I voiced concern here about the catechists at the parish (it's not my parish, but my neighborhood parish, kwim?) is that in the first presentation I had a few 'red flags' in regards to how she answered a few questions from the children. (It was the 'fetuccia' presentation.)

About doing it at home, I think I wanted to do one at a time so I could really tune into each child individually, but what you say about gleaning from one another makes sense also. I do think 2 of the 4 would make it a giggly group. I'll give it some more thought though.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet