Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Favorite apple? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

It's FINALLY feeling like TRUE fall here in NOVA. We're in the 60s!!!

So it's making think about apples...I absolutely LOVE Macks (Mackintosh apples that is). But my dh -- saw the bin full of them and said: "WHY did you buy these?" He's strictly a Golden Delicious/Granny Smith kind of guy...

I know Macks aren't supposed to be used as a baking apple, but I LOVE them for apple pie, apple crisp, applesauce, simple apple eating, apple eating with peanut butter... YUM!

Anybody else a Mack lover... or are you like my dh and wonder why on earth would I buy them!! Any apple sharing???

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Chari

I used to be Granny Smith all the way...........or Pippin.........but they hurt my teeth for the last ten yrs...........I am glad to have discovered Fuji. Crisp and tart, but not as....

I actually can't stand eating other apples

enjoy your weather...........I am hoping we can get BACK into the 60's........it has been much too cold around here for ctober ........brrrr

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

My boys are all about Granny Smith...the more tart the better. My dh usually goes for those too, but when we went apple picking recently, apparently we picked some really tart ones, my dh came home saying he thought he had eaten a lemon, his cheeks squeezed in and everything, he asked the boys what they thought and they all responded, very heartily, that they thought the Grannies were perfect, the best they had ever had.

My dd on the other hand is a dip-em in pb kind of gal and prefers red varieties - in particular, the McIntosh. The boys like Macks too, if they have to have red (they say) but if I buy Red Delicious they all grown...too smushy!

At the orchard, the lady there filled in our bags for us with some pre-picked Staymans...they are red...my dh LOVED these! So if we go back...we'll be getting at least one more peck of these as I have never seen them in the grocery stores.

And speaking of the grocery store, I think I get more comments from cashiers about the number of apples I have bought at one time versus the number of children I have. I always hear "Boy you are going to be making a lot of pie" or "What are you baking?"...I always respond I have 5 children (well 6 but 1 doesn't like apples much) that will eat 2 apples per day, that's 10 a day, for 5 days a week, because sometimes they don't always take 2...that's A LOT of apples!

Hey...and we still have to go the doctor sometimes!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I've got spelling disorder today....groan not "grown"!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote esperanza

I'm looking forward to some winesap and stayman apples I search for them this time of year.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote trish

I LOVE Macs. They make the best pie! (I add sour cream. Yum!) I always buy lots of these fresh in the fall. They taste better. I can eat these everyday.
My children love Galas though and I do too in the winter... sweet and crunchy. But to me Macs are the best in the fall.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

KackyK wrote:
I've got spelling disorder today

Well, I don't even know how to spell my favorite apple!!   

And I'm hearing apples that I've never tried before... I'm tempted to dabble in some new apples...

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

I'm a Pink Lady fan:-)

I always preferred Granny Smiths, with occasional forays to Golden Delicious. Then a couple of years ago, I finally found a red apple I liked:-)
Back to Top View Fe2h2o's Profile Search for other posts by Fe2h2o Visit Fe2h2o's Homepage

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

I like Gala apples. They are easy to find and are good cooked or eaten staight.

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Our favorites for eating are Honey Crisp...just discovered those in the last year or two and they're only available (around here, at least) in the fall so we're eating our fill of 'em now! Our other top pick is Pink Lady. We usually use Ida Reds for pie.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sharing and enjoying the same weather, Maryan. This pregnant lady is SOOO glad it's cooler finally!

Our year round apple choice is Chari's choice -- Fuji. We're all about crisp, slightly tart, and juicy. Dh eats an apple every day, so I have to keep him stocked.

And this fall we discovered Honey Crisp. This is by far my favorite apple ever, and had hands down approval by dh, too. I'm trying to grab them while I can!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

The best apple I've ever eaten was a Grimes Golden.   
Hard to find though.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We eat alot of Spartans around here... I also like to bake with macs. My mom swears by Empire, and she makes the best apple pies!

When were on the west coast we ate Jona Gold. They are such good apples- they taste alot like pears!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I love Mac's too!

My dh likes granny smith best (which I like too with a sharp cheese, but not just by itself like dh.)

Also, dipped in caramel is yummy, either kind, sweet or tart .

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

We all enjoy the Fuji here
though we'll eat just about any as long as they are crisp.

Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

My husband has this fear that the kids are going to choke on everything. So oldest dear daughter wasn't allowed to have apples (except as juice or sauce) until she turned four. For the past year we have been trying every apple we can find.

I've always preferred Golden Delicious (which is all we had growing up), and dd seems to also. We also really liked the Honey Crisp that we just tried. Other past favorites have been Pink Lady and Ambrosia. And occasionally I'll get some plain old Red Delicious. Husband prefers Granny Smith, but he rarely eats apples.

Oh, and we keep ours in the fridge so that they stay nice and cool and crisp.
Most of the others have kind of been lost in the crowd: Macintosh, Jona-Gold, Tentation, Gala, and others whose names I can't remember. I just didn't realize that there were so many varieties of apple in the world.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

What about for apple pies? What have you found to be the best apple to use for baking pies?

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Another vote for Gala here; but for pies I always used Granny Smith for the best flavor.

Of course, that was before I moved to Texas and completely lost my ability to make pie crust.    Any native Texans know how to overcome the effects of heat and humidity on a pie crust?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Honeycrisp is my new fav!
Although a nice tart Granny Smith is still yummy....just hard to find good ones around here.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I know that I don't get out much, but I've never heard of pink ladies, honey crisp, and stayman!! With such raving reviews of honey crisp, I'm tempted to go try them!

Did you find them at a store? Or just at orchards?

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version