Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: let's Talk ADVENT! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Simple and decorative..

paper chains.. It somewhat bugs me that Advent calenders count down December instead of counting down Advent (I realize it's because of Advent changing and the cost associated with changing every year but it still annoys me )

So anyway.. the kids and I sit down and make pink and purple paper chains.. every child.. even the baby gets their own. We count down the days to Advent with them... so they're hung around the living room and every evening before bed the children take one link off.

Last year for my older kids.. I put the references for the Jesse Tree readings on the links.

Now it may not seem huge... but let me tell you.. when you get 7 paper chains festooning one room.. and that room isn't all that big either.. it changes the whole tone of the room. And with an Advent wreath on the table.. voila

And then as you progress through Advent you're gradually undecorating the house.. and by Christmas Eve.. we take down the last chain when we start to put up the Christmas Decor. Finish that up.. maybe watch a movie or such.. and get ready for Midnight Mass. Busy.. but fun.. and everything is nice and fresh even with the littles. And we're not tired of it before the Christmas Season even ends (tired of the extra work of keeping little hands off more than seeing it)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I almost forgot.. one of my favorite simple Advent wreaths.. has been using those large balloon wine glasses.. filling thema bout halfway with salt and putting the colored votive candles in them.. then you tie a bit of evergreen to the stems with the same color ribbon as the candle and arrange as a wreath.

One nice thing.. again with littles that are inclined to climb and investigate.. is that the individual glasses are easy to put up somewhere out of reach.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Aloha1964
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Aloha1964

Martha, here's a website with Jesse Tree coloring pages for the kids and these could be used as decorations. It also has handmade gift ideas and daily calendar ideas: http://www.jesse-trees.com/celebration-ideas.html

Another thought: I've purchased several Advent wreaths from thrift stores for $3.99. Here's a craft idea I'm doing with my kids: I found clear glass plates at a local thrift store. We're cutting out saint pictures (free from online) and decoupaging the pictures onto the clear glass. The cost will be relatively inexpensive. Another idea is to take old religious Christmas cards and decoupage those onto the clear plates.

Here's an website for making homemade cocoa with labels for gifts: http://organizedchristmas.com/snowman-soup

Blessings,
Michelle
mom of seven

Back to Top View Aloha1964's Profile Search for other posts by Aloha1964

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

I'm going to re-do this project as a better tutorial for this year, along with a couple of other advent projects.

I think I'll do a give-away of the new one. What do you think?

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version