Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Children's Bible Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
fishem001
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote fishem001

We are using the Golden Children's Bible for our Scripture reading. The kids are using it, but I feel like the message is a little stilted. (I guess it's written like the NKJV.) Any recommendations for a good Children's Bible that's comprehensive but good for preK/K? Does anyone use My Bible: the Story of God's Love by Melissa Wright? What do you think of it? Or should I just stick with Fr. Lovasik's The New Catholic Picture Bible?

Thanks,
Emily
Back to Top View fishem001's Profile Search for other posts by fishem001

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Emily,
I feel your pain. I have been praying that the Hahn's would transform a DK Bible into a beautiful, reverential Catholic version...but so far no luck. Here's what we do. I use Fr. Lovasik's Bible with anyone below 2nd grade. I like The Bible for Young Catholics by the Daughters of St. Paul for older elementary. I don't have any direct experience with the Melissa Wright children's Bible you refer to. Hopefully someone else here can comment on that one for you.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Thank you for this question!! I have no answers, but I'm anxiously seeking others' responses.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I like Fr. Lovasik's Bible, so personally, I would just stick with that. I don't know about Melissa Wright's version though. If you have a Catholic bookstore nearby you could go there and look through a couple different versions.

Christina
Back to Top View aiereis's Profile Search for other posts by aiereis

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

We have been using Fr. Lovasik's as well...we usually read it once a week...several stories at time...we are about to come to the end of it after starting it last year    And I wondered what to go to next. I tried years ago to do the Golden Children's Bible, but my dd was really turned off by it. Thanks for mentioning The Bible for Young Catholics Jennifer...I'll have to look that one up.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

We are using Catholic Bible Stories by Josephine Van Dyke Brownson. It is beautifully written in story form. It must be out of print - I was given a copy that belonged to my Great Aunt.

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

We use Fr. Lovasiks New Catholic Picture Bible as well and we love it! I also have a Everday Bible Stories, the Catholic Edition by DK, i think. That one has a story for everday of the year. Another one that i have but is not Catholic is My Favorite Bible Storybook for Early Readers. I like to have several Bibles b/c they like to read out of all of them, even though it's the same stories over and over. I guess sometimes, it's how it's told or the pictures inside it. The last one, although not Catholic, has more cartoony drawings but i have not found anything objectionable.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version