Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Preparing for Baby Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 29 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Last Monday I finally bought the yarn and started the baby's blanket. I knitted a white blanket for my son (I wanted it to be double duty and used at his Baptism). For his blanket I used a baby type thread weight, a cotton acrylic mix. It is soft, but holds the shape well.

This is the pattern I used. Very simple and straightforward.

On the same pattern is another blanket with a row of holes every 9 rows. Again, it's very simple and a no brainer.

I'm doing a white blanket again, and bought some even softer yarn. I think it's 4 ply, so it's a bit heavier than the other yarn, but since the needles are a size 8 vs. 6, I need less stitches and it can go faster...something I definitely need.

This yarn is delicious! It's called Berroco Touche, a cotton rayon blend. It's even softer than the other yarn, and a joy to knit. I can't help just stroking the finished rows.

I hope I finish soon, and then I want to tackle a little hat or two, maybe booties. I was in a knitting slump, but this yarn is a siren call to put my feet up (which I need to do a lot) and just knit.

The little needlecraft shop I use also does quilting fabrics. I finally am going to make this baby quilt I've been planning for years. Years ago (I was in 6th grade?) our Shreveport neighbor had a garage sale and I bought some vintage baby fabrics. One piece looks like a baby quilt, so cute with the 1940s-50s type of kittens and baby lambs and soft pastel colors.

I finally got fabric to add to the borders and a backing. Since I don't really quilt, nor have time or energy to make something elaborate, the owner suggested putting this soft slinky fabric as a backing, so I wouldn't need batting. It's that soft flocked fabric that is used with a lot of baby blankets these days. It is polyester, but oh so soft. We're all about tactile and soft here.

I hope to post pictures when I'm done. I'm roping in my mother's help to make sure that the blanket will be done for this baby! I don't know if I'll have any other chances!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 29 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Oh Jenn -- this is going to be beautiful. The yarn is "delicious"! Can't wait to see pix of the final product (that includes the baby by the way!).

When I knittied JP a blanket -- we were in Austria and his "theme" was going to be lambs so I did a lamb binky. Because I had done some intarisa/color-work knitting, I backed it with Austrian fabric. He still uses that binky and it has held up wonderfully! Another time I did a cow blanket for a friend whose family owns a dairy farm and the baby's theme would be cows. That time I back the blanket with calico in the sage-green of the background.

So if you don't want to quilt a blanket, you could use one of the fabrics (especially if it's 100% cotton that will soften nicely) on the reverse of the knitted blanket!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version