Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: GRRR...Bags Boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Or, rather, men.

Yesterday I was at the grocery store with just the baby, snug in the sling. The cashier asked me how the other children were with the new baby. (I am a regular there!) The bag boy (a grown man!) asked me how many children I had now and I responded with a smile, "9".

He then says "WOW! Your husband must be one happy man!!" I get a bit puzzled and say "Yes, he is, but why do you say that?" To which he says "Well you obviously put out alot."

How's that for inappropriate???

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

That's just icky. I think I would have been compelled to say something to the manager...

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Yeah, that would warrant a complaint. Except, then you have the embarrassment of repeating his comment.

That's about the rudest comment I have heard!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

That is disgusting. He deserves to be reprimanded.

I once had a dirty old man put his hand on my back when I was pg and say, " I know what you've been doing!"

Yuck. . . weirdos.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Seven moths after my last miscarriage, I went to confession on what would have been my baby's due date. I told the priest how desperately I still wanted a baby. He replied, "Seven kids and you're still trying? Your poor husband. Why don't you leave the poor guy alone?"
Molly, you're right--when people say things that are so rude, particularly in a situation where they are professionally inappropriate, we should complain. But I didn't--because I would have had to repeat the whole thing.In hindsight, I guess I should have said something.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Elizabeth,
That is so hurtful that it is just unbelievable! Comments are bad enough from rude strangers. But to have a priest dismiss your feelings and be so cruel, that is heartbreaking. I can't imagine he was even trying to be funny. Just downright mean.

What has happened to the beauty and sacredness of the marital act, and the desire for the fruits of that union? Why is it something to be smirked at and mocked, even by a priest in the confessional? It is so sad.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I considered saying something, but I was pretty dumbfounded. I had a hard enough time repeating it to my husband. He said he might say something. (good grief we spend enough money in this store! LOL!) I will add that this man is a tad, um, 'off'. But I don't think that excuses his remark.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I know that my husband would be marching right in there and giving them a piece of his mind.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Some people are really so oblivious to what they are saying.

How many times have we all been asked...by total strangers and even relatives (note I didn't say friends, since we all seem to attract each other, we don't say these sorts of things to each other :-)..."so are you going to try for any more?" I think that one is embarassing...especially with kiddos in earshot. I feel like saying, "and what are you doing tonight with your spouse" but ofcourse I don't because that would be RUDE! They are the same type of question. Very frustrating.

And like Elizabeth, I too had a priest in confession (face to face nonetheless) say something off about family size but slightly different...he started, while I was confessing, to start up a conversation unrelated to what I was confessing...like "oh so you have a lot of children, how many"...then he moved to (mind you I'm sitting there waiting to continue with my confession) "what does your husband do for a living? Must be a good job to afford all of those children. Do you have a big house?" What is that??

I told a good friend of mine about this and she asked where the priest was from, (I was visiting a different parish here in NoVA because my cousin was being confirmed and I was her sponsor)...when I told her he was a priest in DC, and I think in fact from Georgetown U...she said...well there ya go!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Oh my goodness. I don't even know what to say. That's so RUDE! And yes, my dh would be over there in a minute!

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote doris

That's such an astonishingly ignorant remark! (As well as being incredibly rude and inappropriate.) Does this guy think that all those people with small families aren't having s*x??

As for the remark in the confessional, well, that is horrendous. That priest's bishop really should know about it. He is probably saying similar things to lots of people, some of whom may not know to just ignore him...

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Do call the store manager and complain. Some things very definitely cross the line, and the manager should be informed.

I've only got three children, but since they're close in age I had a checker at a grocery store be particularly rude to me once; I called the manager, who was horrified and promised to talk to the employee.

I know we should be charitable, but I've always wished I would have actually said these things on a few occasions:

To the "Boy are your hands full" comment: Well, they never feel full to me without my .38!

To the "Better you than me!" comment: I couldn't agree more!

To the "Are you going to try for a boy?" comment: No, my artificial ovaries can only produce girls--and how insensitive of you to remind me of the fact.

To the "Haven't you figured it out yet?" comment: You mean, eventual demographic domination? Oh, wait, my bad; that's a secret.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Lisa
I would certainly ring the manager and just tactfully'suggest that they need to do some instore training of appropriate behaviour and conversation when on the job. We need to start 'educating the community'.

Red Cardigan wrote:

To the "Haven't you figured it out yet?" comment:

Well I finally had my 'say' yesterday. I had an telemarketing call for a holiday resort. Before he started his spiel I broke in,
"Well how many is this holiday for?"
the salesman replies, '4' well I told him that ruled us out as we were a family of nine. He returned that they could cater for us we would have to take two packages, for the price of two of course. I told him when they decided to cater for large families as we were an untapped market I would be interested and in fact to call me back and I would help him market his 'package' as I had many friends with families the size of mine or more. I finally tipped him over the edge,
"you have SEVEN children and all your friends do too??, Don't you all know what causes it?"
I rejoin, "We most certainly do " Well that certainly stopped him he got off the phone very quickly at that point.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Erin, that's awesome!

Elizabeth and Lisa, how horrible. I'm so sorry for both of you to have to go through something like that. Sheesh!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KackyK wrote:

I told a good friend of mine about this and she asked where the priest was from, (I was visiting a different parish here in NoVA because my cousin was being confirmed and I was her sponsor)...when I told her he was a priest in DC, and I think in fact from Georgetown U...she said...well there ya go!

Nope. This guy is alive and well in Arlington. it's just one of those things, I'm afraid. The Church is perfect. The people in it are not.

The clergy is not always above the anti-large family sentiment. And I've learned that there are priests, who, like the bag boys, really benefit from the witness of solid Catholic families who don't pick and choose which teachings to embrace.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

these reasons are why I don't "do" the large family dialogues when my kids are present. If someone asks me about my family size (rather small, I think ) I don't do the witty comebacks. I always change it to another question. Example said to Lisa: "Wow, your dh must be a very happy man!" my reply "yes he is, do you have kids?" response "yeah, I have two" my response "that's great, kids are fun most of the time, and they grow up so quickly!- thanks for bagging the groceries- come along kids!"
I HATE HATE HATE the "don't you know what causes that?" and other quips.
I will even totally change the subject if I have to . But I never want my kids to feel like they are a freak show.
If I were to reply with a witty comeback, somehow I feel as if I am in defensive mode, or in a way giving in to the idea that yes, we are abnormal. I like to act as if whether you have 10 kids or 2, kids are great, aren't they? and it totally changes the tone.
so sorry for all of the bad experiences!
Praying for that Priest especially, he must be a very sad person.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

LisaR wrote:
these reasons are why I don't "do" the large family dialogues when my kids are present. If someone asks me about my family size (rather small, I think ) I don't do the witty comebacks. I always change it to another question. Example said to Lisa: "Wow, your dh must be a very happy man!" my reply "yes he is, do you have kids?" response "yeah, I have two" my response "that's great, kids are fun most of the time, and they grow up so quickly!- thanks for bagging the groceries- come along kids!"
I HATE HATE HATE the "don't you know what causes that?" and other quips.
I will even totally change the subject if I have to . But I never want my kids to feel like they are a freak show.
If I were to reply with a witty comeback, somehow I feel as if I am in defensive mode, or in a way giving in to the idea that yes, we are abnormal. I like to act as if whether you have 10 kids or 2, kids are great, aren't they? and it totally changes the tone.
so sorry for all of the bad experiences!
Praying for that Priest especially, he must be a very sad person.

Very wise, Lisa!

JEJE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote JEJE

Red Cardigan wrote:

To the "Haven't you figured it out yet?" comment: You mean, eventual demographic domination? Oh, wait, my bad; that's a secret.

Seriously though, I am so sorry you had to put up with that bagger. I would have been very uncomfortable. Thank goodness your other children weren't there!

- 11 - 8 - 5 - 1

Remembering Leo born into heaven 7/06

The Rosemary Farm
Back to Top View JEJE's Profile Search for other posts by JEJE

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Red Cardigan wrote:

We refer to it as the "H----- World Domination Plan" (DH is one of 13....).

Of course, thanks be to God, it appears that DH has become reconciled with the stance of the Church on the openness to life (can I just say it made me "cry for happy" as my dd calls it, when I read that email??). So maybe we will help things along a bit more (most of his sibs married late and as such simply didn't have the opportunity for dc...or couldn't conceive/carry...its very sad....

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

oh my!! that is so inappropriate.

but aside from that....if you have nine kids, technically you may have only p*-**t nine times... that is NOT that much imho LOL.

wonder what that guys marriage looks like if he thinks nine times is alot. LOL

my favorite...."we are trying to out number the rude people. so far we are doing a great job don't you think??"

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version