Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Egypt? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

My 6 year old is getting really interested in ancient Egypt. (Okay, it's because we've been watching Stargate SG1 on DVD. ) I happen to be going to an Usborne party tomorrow, and I recall that they have an Egypt unit. Has anyone done this? I am guessing that doing the full-fledged unit is a bit much for my not-yet-reading son. Would you recommend the main book? Or is there another that you feel is done better?

Tracy, whose son is currently making a mask of the serpent god

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Oh Tracy, I have to laugh. I have a houseful of Stargate aficionados, too. In fact, we're ALL dressing as the SG-1 team for Halloween: 9 of us all the way down to age 5! I think a Stargate Lapbook might just have to be our next project---and it will have lots of Egyptology in it!

Speaking of which, there's the "Egyptology" book out now, similar to "Piratology" which looks pretty good. My dc also really liked the DK and Usborne Egypt books. Even when they can't read, they like looking at all the cool pics and "Pharoahs and Pyramids" was a big hit, here. Also, the Macauley book, "Pyramid" is very good. "Food and Feasts in Ancient Egypt" and "History Detectives: Egypt" were great (especially the latter). There's also a poetry book out, full of fun rhymes. I saw it in the Veritas Press catalog (which I tend not to support because it's somewhat anti-Catholic) but you can find the name of the book there and order it elsewhere. I may have to get a new copy, myself, it's good fun.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

We're doing Egypt this year. Pyramids! 50 Hands-on Activities to Experience Ancient Egypt and Ancient Egypt (Make It Work! History) have a lot of activities that may be accessible to a 6yo. That's not to say you'll never need to help--some are rather involved--but I'm no judge because my kids demand that I do everything along with them! I got both books at the library.

Hieroglyphs for Fun and Heiroglyphs from A to Z might also be fun for (but not limited to) a pre- or early writer. The second one has stencils in the back--it may or may not be good coming from the library--my copy is workable.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Nicole, the "Hieroglyphs" books sound fun. May have to add them to the Stargate Unit!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I just blogged some of our resources for our re-curring Ancient Egypt unit study ... I've listed both videos and books (at all levels) that might be useful. We particularly liked the picture book with hieroglyphs!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version