Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Instead of glue sticks? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Is there a cheaper way to go? We go through glue sticks too quickly and they seem to have a lot less glue than in the past. The rubber cement just went up in price around here and the regular elmers leaves wripples when the kids glue down their papers.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

What would happen if you poured the Elmer's into another container, watered it down very slightly, and then stroked it on with a semi-wide (like half inch) paintbrush or even a narrow sponge brush? Just a thought.

I really don't like glue sticks; the glue in them always spreads all over hands and tables. Not only are they expensive, but when the children press down on them to apply the glue, you wind up with a sticky, spreading-out mess.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Elmers on small foam plates or egg carton cups and q-tip applicators

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

hylabrook1 wrote:
What would happen if you poured the Elmer's into another container, watered it down very slightly, and then stroked it on with a semi-wide (like half inch) paintbrush or even a narrow sponge brush? Just a thought.

I really don't like glue sticks; the glue in them always spreads all over hands and tables. Not only are they expensive, but when the children press down on them to apply the glue, you wind up with a sticky, spreading-out mess.

Peace,
Nancy
This is a great idea -- watering down the glue slightly and painting it on -- one of the problems lots of kids have is putting on too much glue (not only wasting but also making a mess).

The problem I have with hot glue is that not only can it be messy and hard to direct, it can burn fingers (trust me, I've done it enough!)

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think the key is keeping the amount of glue available to use to a minimum.

One of the teachers from a local Catholic Montessori school shared their method of saving those tiny jelly glass containers with lids some restaurants offer. (I can't think of one right now.) They are short and small.

In these they put small amounts of glue. On a small tray they place the jar, a brush, and a small wet sponge for cleanup. It works really well if people remember to replace the lid.

Another container idea is the plastic condiment containers come with lids from restaurants.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryatHome
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryatHome

I have had better luck watering down Aleene's Tacky Glue for use with a paintbrush than I have with regular school glue. It retains more of its 'stickiness' even when watered down, and goes down more evenly, in my experience.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Mary
Back to Top View MaryatHome's Profile Search for other posts by MaryatHome

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

can you get the old fashioned paste? I vaguely remember using it.. it would go on rather like glue sticks.. but it seems like it would be cheaper.. and you can put it in little containers

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Jodie -

I have done tons of research into finding paste (to use in Atrium) and have learned that, sadly, it is a thing of the past. Elmer's no longer manufactures it. The idea about painting on the glue is our Atrium alternative because there is some Montessori idea out there about the motor skills used in pasting. (I am saying that with great respect for Montessori, by the way. I believe them, I just don't fully understand why this is the preferred method). Anyway, if you want paste, you have to make it yourself following a recipe I'm sure can be located easily enough through an on-line search.

Gee, when I think of how much old-fashioned paste was eaten by kindergarteners, I wonder how children will survive in this pasteless age ... (I know -- I'm weird).

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

JennGM wrote:
One of the teachers from a local Catholic Montessori school shared their method of saving those tiny jelly glass containers with lids some restaurants offer. (I can't think of one right now.) They are short and small.

In these they put small amounts of glue. On a small tray they place the jar, a brush, and a small wet sponge for cleanup. It works really well if people remember to replace the lid.

Another container idea is the plastic condiment containers come with lids from restaurants.

I found little plastic bottles, about the size of a canister of camera film (remember those) a tthe the craft store (AC Moore). They have lids and were less than a $1 each.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Thanks for the ideas. I find that even thinning the elmers glue results in it wrinkling when it dries. The little kids don't care, but the big ones hate to see that in their notebooks.

Anyone ever tried wallpaper paste? Maybe I can pick up a small container and try that.

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

My kids use those little double-sided tape dots meant for scrapbooking when they add things to their timeline books or notebooks. I buy them at Michael's with my 40% off coupons so they're very economical, too.
Back to Top View Lori B's Profile Search for other posts by Lori B

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

I never heard of those before. I'll have to find a coupon and look for them later this week.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version