Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: 2 or 3 can't miss novels? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I was wondering what popular 20th century books you wouldn't want your dc to miss before the end of high school. I'm looking for the kind of "classics" that show up on secular high school reading lists...I already know there's a whole lot we don't want to include but we've got some time this year for a few. For instance To Kill a Mockingbird...Grapes of Wrath...Great Gatsby...what are your picks?

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I'm getting ready to run out the door, but Homeschool eStore's freebie currently is a guide to classics. It covers To Kill a Mockingbird, Death of Salesman, The Crucible, The Glass Menagerie, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and the poetry of Robert Frost.
Pick and choose among those.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

Well if you are only looking for two or three I would say that To Kill a Mockingbird should be one of them. It was excellent, thought-provoking and clean. It did deal with adult issues, but I think it would be hard to find a 20th century "neo-classic" without them. I would also say that Catcher in the Rye should not be one of them. I couldn't read the whole thing because of all the profanity in it.

For my children, if I were picking only three, I would choose TKaM, Brideshead Revisited and Death Comes for the Archbishop. They are all widely regarded and respected as classics, and the last two are Catholic novels to some degree, but subtle enough that a public high school might still use them.

--Christina
Back to Top View aiereis's Profile Search for other posts by aiereis

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Two days later I'm finally back! I downloaded that freebie for the Robert Frost poetry as we like to visit his cottage in Key West. In the garden they play recordings of him reciting his poetry while you wander among the orchids and wish you could plunge into the awesome pool there. He was a bit of a mumbler though so the poems I had Marianna memorize last year were definitely more enjoyable for her to hear.

As for other 'classic' reads, I don't know as I'd look too hard at high school reading lists for info, in FL it's rumored that THE DA VINCI CODE by Dan Brown, MEG by Steve Alten, and A STRANGER IS WATCHING by Mary Higgins Clark are recommended.

CA has a nice search feature here that may be helpful. It is quite amazing what books make the lists, isn't it?

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

aiereis wrote:

For my children, if I were picking only three, I would choose TKaM, Brideshead Revisited and Death Comes for the Archbishop. They are all widely regarded and respected as classics, and the last two are Catholic novels to some degree, but subtle enough that a public high school might still use them.

--Christina

I definitely agree with the first two--haven't read the third--maybe I should!

Brideshead is probably in the top three for both my husband and I. The BBC miniseries is also excellent. It's the only movie based on a book that is as good as the book itself.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

I second Death comes for the Archbishop.

I have hesitations about Brideshead though. I really think it is an adult only novel. Even most 18 yr olds would not get the full nuance, the full weight, of it. Like life, it's very complicated....

my .02

ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Jennifer,
   Of the hundreds of times I've been to Key West, HOW did I miss the Robert Frost cottage????? Between that and Pirate Soul---well, I have two new cool things to look forward to in Key West. Thanks!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2007 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

SusanJ wrote:

Brideshead is probably in the top three for both my husband and I. The BBC miniseries is also excellent. It's the only movie based on a book that is as good as the book itself.

Susan

I recently heard the BBC's Silas Marner is an excellent movie as well. Dd has read Death Comes...maybe some more Willa Cather? I remember The Old Man and the Sea and Ray Bradbury stories from high school; anybody recommend those as must reads for typical secular reading lists?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

marihalojen wrote:

As for other 'classic' reads, I don't know as I'd look too hard at high school reading lists for info, in FL it's rumored that THE DA VINCI CODE by Dan Brown, MEG by Steve Alten, and A STRANGER IS WATCHING by Mary Higgins Clark are recommended.

Oh brother We'll definitely go with the freebie lit guide...thanks for that link!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Kelly wrote:
Jennifer,
   Of the hundreds of times I've been to Key West, HOW did I miss the Robert Frost cottage????? Between that and Pirate Soul---well, I have two new cool things to look forward to in Key West. Thanks!

Kelly in FL

We ran through a term of Key West history last spring, we could have kept going for years studying nothing but Key West related stuff. And the literary scene here is phenomenal, how cool is it to read Frost in his garden? Or Shel Silverstein outside his cottage? Or Judy Blume while watching her drink coffee (ok, we might skip some of her stuff for a while but I'm awfully fond of Fudge, what a corker!)

Let me know when you come down next, Kelly, we'll have fun!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oh, and I thought of another book from High School that made an impact on me, I thought I would hate it and was completely opposed to reading it but I ended up loving it - Fahrenheit 451.

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

I thought Farenheit 451 was great in high school too! Really lots to think about there.

If you're interested in more Cather, Shadows on the Rock is really good. About colonial Quebec, Catholic setting.
I do NOT recommend O Pioneers. Some people RAVE about My Antonia, but I haven't read it. I'm sure somebody else here has.

ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I have read My Antonia, but Shadows on the Rock is far, far better. I haven't read O Pioneers but I have seen the movie, and from that I agree with CK. I also do not recommend The Lost Lady.

My husband teaches high school science, but he has the English book list. I looked at the list and the only decent books were The Scarlet Letter, A Tale of Two Cities, The Great Gatsby, and Pride and Prejudice.

--Christina
Back to Top View aiereis's Profile Search for other posts by aiereis

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I really liked "My Antonia" but it has a very discomfiting part about the father committing suicide---Still, it is a very well-done tale of Nebraska and its settlers.

While I liked "My Antonia" very much, I absolutely LOVED "Death comes to the Archbishop" and "Shadows on the Rocks". Two fabulous books to recommend without hesitation.

Fahrenheit 451 was excellent, too. And "A Tale of Two Cities" would be way up there on my list, as well.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version