Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Skirts and an awkward/funny experience Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Today at mass I was approached by an older lady who I know fairly well from daily mass, etc. She told me that she had seen women with children who dress like me singing outside of Penn Station yesterday. She said that they wore print skirts and solid colored shirts like me. In addition she told me that they wore hats or veils. She wondered if I was a member of their group and if I knew who they were. She thought they were Amish. I assured her with a smile that the Amish wouldn't wear print skirts and that I wasn't familiar with the group.
What struck me as funny was that the fact that my daughters and I dress modestly and femininely in skirts and dresses made such an impression on her that she was sure that I must belong to a group.

Recently a neighbor told me that my daughters look like Amish girls because they wear dresses. This comment was not meanly meant. I had to laugh because the Amish would be horrified that I put them in such bright colorful fabrics and that my 7 year old's arms show in her sun dress.

Has anyone else who wears skirts and dresses regularly had these kind of experiences? It is really odd and funny at the same time. Do you have any kind responses that I could use for the next time?

Doodle Acres
Back to Top View HeatherNY's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherNY Visit HeatherNY's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Heather, when I first moved here, I often was thought of as being a part of the Apostolic Christian Movement which is centered here in central IL, and only has about 11,000 members world wide. I have that farm fresh look, I suppose, and the boys all look very German/Swiss which dh and I both carry in our genes.
They wear skirts/dresses- and they can be print or denim. They usually put their long hair up, which I also used to do often.
This is actually what was the final straw leading dh to ask me not to wear skirts everyday.
(long story)

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I was once wearing a solid black knit dress while speaking to my confessor at a religious site. Someone interrupted our conversation, and during the interruption ask me if I was a religious sister.   

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Well, my now-16yod got upset with me a couple of times (teenage hormone induced, I'm sure ) that I dressed like a "1950's Amish woman" -- I guess it was the harshest criticism she could come up with! Now, she just CRINGES when I remind her of this "episode" in the ongoing "life of Catie" !

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

Hello Heather,

It's Chris from Lindenhurst. Good to see you here.
My 19-yr. old daughter was in Manhattan Sat. night and saw the same group of singers. My daughter, Kate and her friend struck up a conversation with a girl their age from the group and chatted for a half hour! They were Amish. I was worried about my daughter and her friend roaming around Manhattan on a Sat. night and they find Amish people to hang out with!! Kate came home with a CD..You can borrow it if you like... in case you want to teach your children the music. That would really confuse people
Oh by the way... we've never been asked if we're Amish, but when I am out with the whole family wearing a certain kind of skirt I've been asked if I'm a homeschooler. I take it as a compliment!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

We sometimes get milk from an Amish farmer, and when I was there one day, a man drove up to buy a lamb. I was the first person he saw, and he started asking me questions! So I guess I've been mistaken for Amish too. Of course, I was standing on an Amish farm, but also right next to my minivan!

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Thanks ladies for letting me know that I am not alone in my Amish appearance!!! LOL
Sorry to be so long in responding - I couldn't remember my password so I couldn't post. As Dan Quayle once said, "The mind is a terrible thing."

Doodle Acres
Back to Top View HeatherNY's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherNY Visit HeatherNY's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Usually we get asked if we are pentacostal because of the long skirts and long hair that we wear. Never been asked if we were Amish, although I don't think you would find one down in Dixie where I live.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

KellyJ wrote:
I was once wearing a solid black knit dress while speaking to my confessor at a religious site. Someone interrupted our conversation, and during the interruption ask me if I was a religious sister.   

No one from anyone outside our family has ever commented on my dress, but my ds, when he was about 7, asked me if I didn't used to be a nun!    Dh and I were laughing so hard, we cried!
...oh, and Dr. Ray called me an "Amish Catholic" when I spoke to him, once, a very long time ago, but that was more due to a stance on a subject, rather than clothing.
I do wear my hair shorter (at or above shoulder,) so I guess I don't fit the "look."

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I get mixed up with orthodox jews when I'm working in NYC.

I get Amish jokes. To that, I laugh and ask them if they saw my buggy parked outside.   

So, no, you are not the only one.

Hey, Chris from Lindenhurst. I am from North Babylon. We've been in NJ for 2 years now.

Heather, are you Heather from the FIAR boards?

Blessings,
Alice

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version