Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: prayer/advice Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
albeto
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote albeto

Hi, I've not posted here before and only occationally post on Special Blessings but I could sure use some prayer and/or advice. I apologize in advance for the length of this mini-novel

Having a child with Asperger's has drained me of energy. Twelve years has taken it's toll. The thing is, now, after years of therapy (behavioral, the most important), and beginning homeschooling, he's the prince charming I always knew was there under all the challenges. He's truely a great kid to be around. All my kids are so fabulous, kind, funny, sweet kids.

But my health has crashed. I have tried "alternative" medicine with various degrees of success but with no real accountability I don't know if they are actually helping or simply covering up the symptoms. I have found a doctor who does work with alternative therapists but has a medical degree so I hope to get the best of both worlds. He was refered by my GP who I trust.

At our first appointment we talked about "Me." Uncomfortable, I thought, I just wanted to find out about "Leaky Gut" and if my gluten intollerance would lead to other foods being too harsh on my insides and if there is anything to do to support my digestive system. After talking for a while it was so painfully obvious just how much anxiety guides my emotions, thoughts, actions. I grew up in a very, shall we say, "protective" family - you know, seatbelts every time in the car, bicycle helmets, nothing out of the ordinary but this was always taken to the extreme. I told this doctor about my grandmother who held a suprise 80th birthday party for my grandfather. He was turnng 77 that year! He laughed out loud and immediately looked sorry, but I was laughing too - how could you not? One "never knows" so must be prepared at all times. Yikes - how much that has affected my thoughts is overwhelming.

So now I'm looking for advice as to just how to put prayer time into my day? I'm homeschooling my oldest now (really, really nice so far, I'm so greatful) and the younger two go to the local parochial school which is a real treat for them. But my days are full of distractions, worries, avoiding worries (finding something to distract myself). I can't seem to make myself fit in even one decade of the Rosary throughout the day and it is by far my favorite prayer/meditation. My dh is not a believer so my faith has to remain a bit out of sight. I knew, weird, 'cause our kids go to a Catholic School!

Now for prayers - if someone could pray for me to remember to trust God with my health and try to stop worrying (which I think is a result of my trying to figure/fix things on my own - ie. pride in action), I would appreciate it. Any little (or not so little) symptom makes me break out into a sweat. My lower back hurts, I'm convinced its internal. I feel dehydrated the day after a glass of wine with dh and I can't stop thinking about liver cancer. I get dizzy and hear the words MS and my mind starts racing. It's crazy - there is no cancer in my family, my great-grandmother passed away when I was an adult, my grandparents have been married over 50 years, everyone lives a good, long time in my family. The women get senile, sure, but then I figure I'll just enjoy movies and books for the first time, again!

I'll see the doc soon for an exam and he'll most likely give me tests for intestinal inflamation which would explain the food issues and (hopefully) the dizziness. My blood pressure is very low and I understand it could be related to adrenal gland fatigue (which I've been told by "alternative" practitioners is my issue - doesn't suprise me, really). A few years of very little excersize has certainly taken it's toll. It was hard to go out to parks, bike rides, walks with the kids when the Aspie, undiagnosed at the time which had me stumped, would scream and cry because the sun was too bright, the grass was too green, he was tired and too energetic at the same time - the only thing I could count on was a major meltdown in public. I would love to hear what practical things other "real" moms do. I only have three kids but it has certainly felt like a cool dozen at times!

I'm going to jump in the shower now and use that undisturbed time for prayer. Thanks for listening.
Back to Top View albeto's Profile Search for other posts by albeto

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

You dear lady!
I have/had many of the same health symptoms. If you have gluten problems (celiac?), you are probably nutritionally deficient in many areas. Start taking high quality liquid vitamins, esp. B-12 sublingually. This really helps with mental clarity. You may also find that you have candida symptoms--the wine is an indicator. This also makes for mental fog and anxiety. Andrenal fatigue too. I think when you get your own health under control, you'll find these other things get better--slowly.

As for prayer time, I suggest you either get up a little earlier or stay in bed a few minutes longer in order to get some peace, either in the am or pm, whichever works. Do you make a "quiet time" in your day? That is, when the kids know you are off limits for a little while? That has saved the sanity of many moms.

Another possibility, can you dh read to the kids in the evening or sthg like that? You could let him know you need some "down time" just for sanity.

I'll pray for you. I've been going through many of the same health issues myself.

God bless,
CK

Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You might check the SCD diet.. it's supposed to heal your gut..

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.net

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

albeto
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote albeto

Thank you both! I think everything together points to both adrenal fatigue and Leaky Gut - inflamed intestines which just don't work the way they are supposed to which would result in loss of nutriants. It certainly feels like I'm working on half a tank (mentally and physically).

Unfortunately, I am intimately familiar with SCD! Maybe that is something I need to do for myself.

I'll try to steal quiet times as I can - I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's gone through this (not that I'm glad anyone else has, mind you ) because it helps keep it in a perspective through which I can push aside feelings of anxiety. It's weird - I feel removed from the anxiety, like, I feel it but I don't agree with it. It's really a physical response that I can't quite shrug off.

Thank you both for your advice! I really appreciate it!
Back to Top View albeto's Profile Search for other posts by albeto

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version