Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: crampbark and arnica for afterbirth pains Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Does anyone know how to use these? I've got a little bottle of homeophathic arnica pills.They simply say to take 3-6 of them and repeat as needed. For those who've used them, does that sound about right?

(I ask b/c you can never be sure they're giving you accurate dosage recommendations. I recently read on a bottle of red raspberry leaf pill "not to take during pregnancy". How bizarre.)

I also have crambark tincture made by St. Francis Herb Farm. They recommend 20-35 drops in a little water, 3x daily, between meals.
Is that what would sound right to those of you who've used it?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

ps - would either of these ease labour contraction pains?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

All those dosings sound right to me. Usually with tinctures you can do a "dropperful" rather than counting out individual drops. I got a tincture from my midwife for afterbirth pains and I always took a dropperful straight just before nursing for the first three days. You might want to talk with an herbalist before the baby comes to find out if you can use the tincture this way. I don't think it would have given me as much relief if I'd just taken it at arbitrary times. Plus, you know, what constitutes a "meal" in those early days postpartum?

The Red Raspberry Leaf is usually not recommended early in pregnancy or for those with a history of miscarriage because it can cause uterine contractions--that's exactly why it's great when you are full term or trying to recover from birth. So the dosing on that sounds correct as well.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Oh, for the red raspberry, I believe you're supposed to wait until 16 weeks before taking it, but I KNOW it's absolutely fine to take afterwards, as long as one is not prone to miscarriages. But then, I THINK it might be just the type of rr. Rubus idaes vs. the "other one" :) I forget what my book said...
I credit my good labours to Red Rasberry.
(Rereading your post I think that's what you were saying anyway!)

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

There's actually very mixed recommendations on the Red Raspberry Leaf.. I know many people who recommend it even in first trimester and who use it with good results.. it doesn't cause contractions so much as help the uterus function optimally... which means it may help the uterus contract for labor.. or after birth.. or during the first trimester toning.. or for having a miscarriage.. which is why people have thought not to use it.. but it only helps it along (which is the uterus' proper job at that time) it doesn't cause it.

I take the arnica at the max dose immediately after birth.. helps so much with the bleeding.

I use extra calcium and bromelain/pineapple with good results for the afterbirth pains.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

What does the bromelain/pineapple do? Do you just mean a real pineapple cut up, or do you mean a can of pineapple, either/or, or something entirely different? I've never heard of that before.
Any specific brand of calcium pills you like? Right now I believe I'm using Jamieson brand. (calcium and magnesium.)A cheap brand, so I don't know if it's even doing its job.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

bromelain is an enzyme in pineapple.. you can buy capsules of bromelain.. or you can eat pineapple.. fresh is best.. then the frozen concentrate juice then canned.. I usually combine the two.. take the bromelain in capsules but also drink the juice.. it tastes wondeful to me after a birth anyway. But it speeds healing and reduces swelling of soft tissue.. so it really helps with the birth trauma and since it works for sore muscles it helps the uterus afterward as well.

I take Vita Vista liquid calcium.. it's calcium, magnesium, potassium, vit. D.. and some other things.. I'm out at the moment so I can't check.

The type of calcium that are most easily used by the body are citrate, ascorbate or malate.

Calcium helps the smooth muscles (like the uterus) contract smoothly without cramping.. so having extra calcium, the uterus can work at the contracting but you'll have less of the painful cramping part. So it also does help with labor.. but only in the cramping not in the hard work or stretching parts that can be painful.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version