Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Make Your Own Globe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

In trying to plan (and budget) my first attempts at Moira Farrel's album, I have been looking over the supplies. Land and water globes are not cheap, and I was looking for ways to make your own.

Has anyone tried this? It is a printout for tudor style globe/map that you can cut out and tape into a sphere. The pdf is grayscale and looks as if it would be easy to paint over.

Even if it wouldn't work for a land and water globe (which I was even thinking that modge podge and cardboard or some kind of ball would make it more finished looking), it would be a cool geography lesson! My 3 year old isn't quite there yet, but I think I'll try it...
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Hey cool... I've been wondering what to do for a globe for Moira's presentations as well. It's definitely worth a try -- and as you say, you can't lose -- you got a geography lesson in the process!

We have a lot of worn out balls -- I was thinking about painting one of them? Not sure that would work, though.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I was actually thinking of having ds do a paper mache one using an old kick ball as a form. A balloon would work for that as well. You can also just cover a ball with masking tape and paint over that.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

If you have a Target nearby, you may want to check them out. I picked up a small globe in the $ Spot a couple of weeks ago and made a land and water globe out of it. I was happy with the way it turned out and my dh was very happy with the price.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Yes yes yes. Do the target thing. Mix sand in brown paint and paint the land all brown. Then paint the water all blue. Cover with acrylic clear spray coating to keep your paint from picking off. You can also make a continent glob the same way. No sand in that one, just different colors for each continent. I will post pictures on my blog today so you can see the ones I have made...if that helps.
www.motherwonderswhy.blogspot.com
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I didn't use the small globes from Target, but was able to find a used regular-sized globe at Salvation Army for ~$1. Painting was time-consuming, but a nice activity (dare I say it helpled normalize me???). And the finished product is pretty decent. The greatest part is that all my kids, from 3-13, LOVE the globe! I understand that the Montessori globes are smaller in design, apparently so little hands can manipulate them. My little ones don't seem to mind the large globe, though.

Like Theresa, though, I'm thinking of having the older kids do a papier mache one. We'll be delving into geography studies a la Montessori as a family later this week, and this seems like a project the older kids might enjoy working on together.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

My Target didn't have a globe at all. I looked
Not to mention Dh has a fit about the idea of a globe... somewhere in his head it looks bad.
The ONLY globe he likes the look of was a $600 one that lit up... I don't think I can talk him into that one
He might go for the inflatable type, but I still like the idea of papier mache so the kids could LEARN as we make one

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

~Rachel~ wrote:
Not to mention Dh has a fit about the idea of a globe... somewhere in his head it looks bad.
The ONLY globe he likes the look of was a $600 one that lit up... I don't think I can talk him into that one

Sounds a bit like my dh. I keep trying to buy a globe and his ideal one is the kind like libraries have, encased in wood, very large size.

And now I'm chuckling to myself because I've been reading this thread thinking "I'll never get to Target" and suddenly I remembered ds went to Target when in Altoona with his cousins and they brought home a globe for him from the $1.

I only now put together that this is the same globe you are referring to. My, it is teeny-tiny.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Yep! it is teeny tiny...and for some odd reason, the kids love it. I did the sand and water globe, the land and water globe and the continents globe...and I have a fourth that I left plain for comparison. I am sooo glad I got the teeny tiny bristle brush for this work!! I remember being told that it wasn't being exact that was the big deal on this project...it is the overall impression that is the big deal.

You could always try this for a DIY globe...Enchanted Learning Never underestimate the potential of Enchanted Learning...

This was the plan for last year. I am tweaking that a bit as we did not get to everything...but hey! I am fle ible ...(yeah Theresa I STILL have to get THAT key out of the vacuum...)

ANYWAY...the children like to use our boring regular globe to compare to the mommy-made ones and compare that to the floor puzzle of the world and they compare that to the wall map...and then to have them make their own is very rewarding for them. You learn a great deal by doing!

Gotta blog about what I am doing...I am going so fast these days the days are F L Y I N G by...

YES! I was just handed my X key back!!
The silliest things make me happy!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc    

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

~Rachel~ wrote:
He might go for the inflatable type, but I still like the idea of papier mache so the kids could LEARN as we make one

I thought the National Maritime Museum link I posted above was a good learning activity. Paper mache sounds so fun, but I thought it was cool how the NMM project showed why flat maps are distorted and how map makers used to have to paint a map (in segments) to turn it into a globe.

I guess one could crazy creative and use the above pattern like a sewing one and sew the globe and stuff it. Not sure how perfectly round that would be
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Well I saw a paper one in the Neinhuis catalogue that you cut out and glued into a globe
Dh didn't say anything when I showed him...
Anyway... since the world is not completely round... I dont think it matters that a sewn one would be lumpy (you can always move the stuffing around to try and create mountains... )

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

OK I have now found the ULTIMATE in 'make your own globe' and it is VERY Montessori like!
Even though it is a big sacrifice as this site is one of my links on the toymaking fair , I thought I just HAD to share
Make your own globe

ENJOY!

Lighting a Fire

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We have done that one before and it turned out great, but let me warn you. It is TEDIOUS! Ds (age 10 at the time) got tired of all of the cutting of tiny little slits after awhile and I had to finish it off for him. Plus it is difficult to get it to fit together properly. I would not recommend it for under age 12 or so. But, like I said, it did look really cool when done.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Actually my thought was to do all the cutting myself . My DS loves model making though, so that is in my favour

Lighting a Fire

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version