Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I need to shop - somebody talk me down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I'm having a bad day, and all of a sudden I feel this intense need to do some online shopping. Surely there must be some curriculum or furniture we need, right?? (that link to the ikea table recently posted got me started! )

Somebody talk me down off this ledge!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Amy...step away from the "check-out" button.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

O.K. hon, step S-L-O-W-L-Y away from the mouse, hands in the air, breathe in through the nose, exhale slowly through the mouth. Now, take a step back, away from the computer, now another, and then another. Chant softly to self, "Buying something new will not make my children obey promptly/my homeschool year go any easier/my house get any cleaner/contribute to my mental well-being."

Feel better? I know I do!!!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

LOL. Go to the library instead, and get some books and books on tape for the kids.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I remember Maryan posted a long time ago about filling her carts up at all sorts of online places...but she didn't go through with it.

It is fun to fill them up...I agree!

Look at it like food...we think it'll taste great and make us feel better...it definitely feels better and then that full tummy feeling later ruins what was a feeling better thing!

So maybe if you fill the carts...but have enough will power to NOT actually enter the cc#, then you'll enjoy the taste but not the full tummy later?!?!

Did that make sense? Probably didn't help...but you can tell how I rationalize a lot of what I do

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh yeah... Amy as Kacky said I FILLED up my carts with tons of books (after our local curriculum share!) (Half the books were Kacky's suggestions.) We are talking HUNDREDS of dollars.

I was SOoooo glad when my dh came home that all those books were in carts and were never "checked out!!"

Hey... and Amazon has wishlists!! Maybe you can just click away into a wishlist!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

AHA! The wishlist is perfect...I love that thing!

It's huge for me! But it's great fun too! It's almost like a journal. I love to scroll ALL the way down and see what crazy things I had thought of buying...I don't know how many times I have wondered why I ever thought I wanted it!

And Maryan, am I being implicated in your imaginary spending spree??!!

That's okay...after my visit with Maryan recently, I made some purchases inspired by her too!!!   

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Get out and go get ice cream cones with the girls. Lots cheaper and makes you feel just as good!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh Amy... AND it would fulfill your calcium requirement in your 9th month!! I like that suggestion Theresa!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

My Dh says one would feel just as good going for a nice run! Sorry, excercise doesn't do it for me...I like food or shopping. Both bad choices.

Now I play 3 games of computer solitare. (that's how many it takes me to "win" and yes I use the back button! )

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

yep...I'm votin' for the wish lists! Just as satisfying, in most cases!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Go to eddiebaueroutlet.com and try to buy something. They always have lots on "display" but it always ends up being sold out when you try to actually put it in your cart. Then you don't even deal with the temptation of a full shopping cart.

Amazon wishlists are great, too. But if you have one click shopping set up, it might be too easy to succumb.

And I really second the ice cream thing, too!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

LOL Susan - shopping where everything is sold out is probably my best bet! Less true temptation that way.

I think this is cheating, but I was saved by the UPS man showing up at my door today! A heavy box full of new math curriculum and manipulatives that I didn't think would show up for awhile.    

Since my kids can't all have ice cream, I think I'll save THAT little treat for myself (to celebrate) and dh (to mourn how much money the curriculum cost ) tonight! I need my calcium, you know.

MaryMary wrote:
   Chant softly to self, "Buying something new will not make my children obey promptly/my homeschool year go any easier/my house get any cleaner/contribute to my mental well-being."

Mary, I have to write this on my fridge! :)

Thank you so much, ladies, for humoring me today, I really needed it!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I live on this ledge! There is just something so productive about ordering something. And some days it seems nothing else around here is productive at all.

Wish lists are good, definitely. Make your Christmas wish lists. That usually keeps me busy for weeks, especially now that I am being extra vigilant about not buying Chinese.

You are in good company, you are strong, you can resist.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Amy -- you're a better woman than me -- I'd have succumbed and not told anyone !

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

teachingmyown wrote:
There is just something so productive about ordering something. And some days it seems nothing else around here is productive at all.

Thank you, Molly for explaining something I could never quite put my finger on!!!!    That's it, isn't it?       Click, click...and it's done. Even though NOTHING ELSE was that day!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Oh! I know EXACTLY how you feel, Amy! The thrill of clicking, the anticipation of a PACKAGE coming to the door with something that was so simple to order! My kids have a chant that they say with me "Mommy got a Pack-age, Mommy got a PACK-age!" How exciting!

.....oh dear. I don't think I am helping.

Yes, I agree on the ice cream. Or, as I have learned, Chocolate releases the SAME endorphines that EXERCISING does! So, I think I would go that route next! Brownie Sundae, anyone?? Maryan?

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

And a something ordered, but not in our hands yet, is still a perfect pristine notion, just like the wonderful reviews it got from wherever we saw it suggested...amazon.com is like a little escape into a make-believe world for me, full of beautiful books that will make the whole world right...a perfect, virtual world, just a click away...aahhhh, it feels so good to go there!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

humanaevitae wrote:

Now I play 3 games of computer solitare. (that's how many it takes me to "win" and yes I use the back button! )

Wait, how sad,
I never knew there was a back button

As for the jogging thing, is'nt your dh a doctor? Leave it to them to be reasonable
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Oh, wow, can I relate to this thread!

Of course, for me "shopping therapy" is more fun in real life than online, 'cause I hate to use the credit card and I'm such a bargain shopper that I hate to have to give the store anywhere from $7 up for shipping....

Sometimes in this mood I'll go with my family to our favorite "antique" store which is more like a slightly better-than-average junk store. We can spend $20 and get some books or some trinkets (one lady has a $3 jewelry booth) or some interesting/useful things, like the potato bin my DH picked up for me once when he stopped in on a workday. All the "therapy" at a fraction of the cost!

(And this one booth has vintage school books...)

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version