Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Canadian English... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I know British/Austrailian English words can be different than here in the states.

Are there words used in Canada that are very different than American English words...being so close I was inclined to think not but I though Id doublecheck-

Oh and dd would specifically like a ruling on Mom Vs. Mum...
thanks Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Canada is such a huge country geographically speaking, that there are bound to be provincial differences in expression. I can only speak as an Ontarian, who lives relatively close to the U.S. border. We are very "Americanized" Canadians. I still ask for a half pound of deli meats and measure my height in feet and inches ! Unlike many of our American friends and relatives, though, we do not say "pocketbook" we say purse. We hardly ever say "soda" we ask for pop. We sometimes get confused looks when we're in the U.S. and stop to ask for the "washroom". We refer to our dollar coin as a "loonie" because of the picture of the loon on it, and our two dollar coin, by default, is dubbed the "toonie".
We say, "Ahh-men" not "Ayy-men" like most Americans.
A dear former co-worker from Nebraska nearly fell off her chair laughing when I asked her for "elastics". Apparently in Nebraska they are called "rubber bands".   And my children all call me, "mama", "mommy" and "mom" though not at the same time!

It would be intersting to hear from Canadians from the east and west coast to get more opinions.
Hope that helps!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Hi. We have been both west coast (as west as it gets) and East coast (Ontarians).

A couple words that you would find spellingwise...
-colour not color
-cheque not check
(my spellchecker thinks American- it underlined both of the last words

A few other words...
-gumboots (rubber boots out west)
-the university/college thing. Here a college is more of a community college or trades school and a university is more of what our folks to the south call 'college'

All I can think of for now.......

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Well, we lived in Canada for while (Toronto) and first of the dc was born there :-) A word we heard a LOT there, and never, here, was the word "wee". In fact, we often heard people refer to something as "wee little _____" to mean very small. You just don't hear the word "wee" very much down here South of the Border!

Kelly in wee little Florida
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

MaryMary wrote:
Unlike many of our American friends and relatives, though, we do not say "pocketbook" we say purse. We hardly ever say "soda" we ask for pop.
A dear former co-worker from Nebraska nearly fell off her chair laughing when I asked her for "elastics". Apparently in Nebraska they are called "rubber bands".   

I love linguistics, and accents too! I love hearing the variations.

I am from the US East Coast (NJ). I say pocketbook, soda, and elastic band. My dh is from out here in the western states, and here in AZ, it is purse, pop, and rubber band.

When I first moved here, the first time someone offered me a "pop" I thought they meant an popsicle.

And they say "sack" for bag here in AZ too. Like at the grocery store, "Do you need a sack?" We always said bag.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Essy

Don't forget 'Zed' for the last letter of the alphabet and 'Ayyy?' when questioning something as in 'huh?'

I'm not from Canada but have lots of family there.

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I guess that would explain why people sometimes think I am Canadian... we share many of the same words... only I always thought my very ENGLISH accent was obvious!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

cactus mouse wrote:
MaryMary wrote:
Unlike many of our American friends and relatives, though, we do not say "pocketbook" we say purse. We hardly ever say "soda" we ask for pop.
A dear former co-worker from Nebraska nearly fell off her chair laughing when I asked her for "elastics". Apparently in Nebraska they are called "rubber bands".   

I am from the US East Coast (NJ). I say pocketbook, soda, and elastic band. My dh is from out here in the western states, and here in AZ, it is purse, pop, and rubber band.

I'm from NYC...I use purse and pocketbook pretty much interchangeably, drink soda and use rubber bands!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

cactus mouse wrote:
MaryMary wrote:

Well, I'm from the South and we say pocketbook, soft drink, and rubber band! We also use unusual verbs like "figure" ('I figured that was true...") and "fix" ("I'm fixing to leave...") Oh, and the word "gal" instead of "girl", and "lady" which means MUCH more than a mere woman!

I love these regional (and national) linguistic nuances, too

Kelly in (North-but very Southern...) Florida
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version