Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: 1 year old does not want solids Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

This is a first for me. My 12 month old eats very little in the way of solid foods. She only wants to nurse (constantly!). She will take a few bites of her meal and then pushes everything away. I am not trying to wean her, but I cannot nurse her all day and night either. Anyone have some ideas or experience with this situation?

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I have heard that sometimes children avoid solids when they have food allergies. Must be a natural defense. Just something you might want to watch out for.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I had one that didn't really take to solids until 14 mo. maybe she just needs a bit more time.

She's also at the age where she may be trying to grab some control an the more you want her to eat the more resistant she is.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Maria,

My last 3 dc were exactly the same way. None of them wanted solid food until after 1 year of age, they just wanted to nurse. They were all late teethers, too - none of them got a single tooth until somewhere between 12-14 months old. I just waited until they showed an interest, which they began to do as they got their first teeth - they just started grabbing the food right off my plate! I never had to buy baby food for them, so it was nice! Bottom line - I wouldn't worry about it!

Hope this helps!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Kristee
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kristee

I can relate. My 11.5mo ds is that way too. He has two bottom teeth. He refuses most baby food and cereal.   I'm wondering if perhaps he could be afraid of choking, gagging,and then vomiting. Lately, he has been interested in eating cheerios and yesterday he managed a few whole peas. Still he doesn't seem interested much in baby food.

I'm actually trying (unsuccessfully)to wean my 2.5 yo ds. It is near impossible when the baby is wanting to nurse constantly. Some days seem to be centered around nursing, trying to feed solids, and clean-up.
Back to Top View Kristee's Profile Search for other posts by Kristee

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Maria,
My now 16 month old did not eat anything at 12 months. She only nursed. I even started a thread about it then with the same worries you have.

Then one day, shortly after her birthday, we were at a baseball game and I was eating a ginger snap (for nausea) and she seemed interested so I gave her a taste. That was it! She was hooked. She started eating ginger snaps and very quickly decided that she liked this whole eating business. Now, her teenage brother worries that she will be obese because of how much she can eat in one sitting.

Moral of the story- don't fret, she could be weeks or only days from that one bite that interests her enough to coax her into solids and away from constant nursing.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Thanks so much for all the good advice and words of encouragement.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

My Agnes does not have a single tooth and I would say has only shown interest in eating little bits the past 2 weeks. She pretty much hated most of the baby food I tried to offer her. She loves loves loves to nurse.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

My oldest didn't each much at all in the way of solids until I weaned him at 18 mo. He just nursed all night, every night! I clearly remember going out for pizza with a friend when he was 12 mo. old and my friend's daughter was the same age. Her daughter ate an entire slice of pizza, and my son only munched on one bite, and I was concerned!

The important thing, I think, is whether they are maintaining a healthy weight or not. My boys were all above average in size, so their doctor was never concerned about what they were or weren't eating. I made sure to try to eat well myself & take a prenatal so the breast milk was "fully loaded." :)

Last thought - like the ginger snaps mentioned above - try lots of finger foods! My current 11 mo. old loves things like cooked carrots that are on a child-sized fork so he can feed himself.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Maria, my last two have feed exclusively to 12 and 14months or more and I really feel myself, that if they are ready for solids they will eat them. My diet has been greatly improved on those two breastfeeding periods (Nourishing Traditions) and I tend to think that they were being well 'nourished'!

It is not something that I would worry about too much personally. (Though I understand them, as our parents era was one of starting solids early and this was in conjuction with a great proportion of women bottlefeeding, it is easy to be influenced by the talk of parents, aunties etc.) There are more concerns with early introduction of food rather than later.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My ds did not eat any solids until 15 months. Now he eats absolutely anything we offer, so he turned out okay! I just nursed him until he really took off with solids. He had/has a very sensitive gag reflex.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

UK Mum
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote UK Mum

My youngest (2 yrs) went through a not eating phase. She was cutting teeth, & began to nurse all the time. I really felt for her (sore gums must be agony) but I couldnt function on the lack of sleep. So, I night weaned her & cut down the nursing in the day. She now nurses upon waking, before her nap & at bedtime. I dont think there is anything at all wrondg with nursing so much, I was just too tired & run down. I told her 'boobah's have gone to sleep! ( her nursing word)
Back to Top View UK Mum's Profile Search for other posts by UK Mum

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version