Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Daily Routine/Schedule Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

OK, we started school a few weeks ago--slowly, easing into a routine. However, today, ONLY day 1 of our "official" school year, I am TOTALLY overwhelmed!!! I have a 6th grader, 2nd grader & Kindergarten, then a high-maintenance (and I mean high) 3yo, 22 month old and a 6 week old. I am thinking, "this is IMPOSSIBLE!" yet I know we are called to homeschool. How do you make sure the little folks are tended to AND have time with the bigs? What I am finding is that everyone is so needy all day at every second and I am being pulled in so many different directions that I am snappy. It was ok when we were easing into the routine, because if things didn't get done, we just worked on it the next day. That's not really a good idea to do on a regular basis though. I guess I am looking for ideas on what your days look like--not in huge detail, just overall, what works? In other words, HELP!!!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I don't have any suggestions for you right now because I am practically in the same boat! I've got a going to be 11 yo in October, an 8 yo, a 4.5 yo, really high maintenance 23 month old twins, and a 2 week old newborn... and I am really trying to put off having that same overwhelmed feeling.

I think I might be happy with having a sort of "just the basics routine" until the baby is about 3 months old... but am looking forward to hearing what the more experienced moms have to say.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

Oh, darn there aren't any answers yet!! I was just thinking about this same thing today, but mine are all littler;

one grade 2 *never did finish grade one, but whatever
one 4 year old boy

one crazy 2 year old girl

two crawling/almost walking 11 month old twins.

I know I"m called to homeschool too, but HOW DO I DO IT??

Anglea, I thought for sure you would have the answer :-)

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Well, here's our life for what it's worth....

Since we've had kids, our day has begun at 7 am; there are consequences for those who come to find me earlier.

We've always started our school day at 9. Instruments are already practiced, chores done, rooms and bodies cleaned.

Things we can do as a group, we cuddle together, littles and all, on the couch. Big kids have their assignments written out for them so then they go off and do independent work while I read books to the littles and play games with them. Math gets corrected immediately. If I need to go to the table to help with big kid work, the littles come along (although the baby does nap an hour during school so that helps).

Today we were done by 10:30, but a normal day could stretch as late as noon. Sometimes, I save narrations for quiet moments like nap time or right after the little guys go to bed.

Today I silently chanted, "Be patient. Do not smack anyone on the first day of school." It worked, but I think I would rather take longer to complete work than be stressed out (easier said than done!).

So I guess a summary would be 1)have a routine people can depend on 2) gather the littles in instead of pushing them away 3) be flexible so you can be a great mom AND a good teacher.

There are lots of good threads here on how people deal with littles during school, and Laura Berquist has an article about it too in her teaching tips book.

Hope that helps!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Joelle,
I'm just ducking in to congratulate you on that new baby. What a truly PERFECT name .

Rachel's ideas are good ones and clearly she makes it work. We don't finish that efficiently here but I do think routine is everything. Spend some time thinking about what happens when and prepare the night before. Expect the inevitable glitch and chant for patience. Oh, yeah, and no smacking on the first day .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Joelle -- I don't have that many, and my "baby" isn't a baby any more, but my two youngest (16 months apart) have always been very demanding and high-energy. I find our day goes more smoothly when I pay attention to them first. After prayers/chores, I have my big ones do something they can do on their own, even if it's just half an hour of reading something they choose to read, so that I can read to the two littler ones and do a little school with them (they're now 5 and 3, so I'm loosely doing K with the 5yo, and the 3yo tags along).

I find that if I start the day by pushing them away, then they're clamoring for my attention and interrupting everyone else. But if I give them a half hour or so of my time FIRST, then they're usually happier to go and play on their own. (I keep little baskets of crayons, tiny plastic animals, special blocks, etc, on top of a cabinet in my room to pull down if they need something to do. When desperate, I will set them up with Starfall.com for half an hour -- that usually sucks them right in, and I tell myself it's preferable to beatings . . . ).

Babies are more demanding . . . my memories of our first year of homeschooling are very vague, but I do have this persistent image of the baby asleep in her Moses basket on the dining room table, while chaos went on around her. With a newborn I did LOTS of reading aloud, with which you can cover lots of bases, so that I could nurse and "do school" at the same time. The Hobbit is a great read-aloud which both kindergarteners (and 3yos) and older kids will listen to . . .

Otherwise, we often stagger work, so that my oldest is cleaning her room while my next is doing copywork while I'm helping my littles read words on the chalkboard while they color. Then they're ready to run and play, the copyworker is ready to have his math explained, and the room-cleaner is reading. By the time the copyworker finishes and goes out to play with the littles, the room-cleaner-reader is ready to talk about her math. And so on. My younger kids all like to work in the morning; she typically works in the afternoon or at night. If your older kids have a natural inclination to work at "non-traditional" school times, you can take advantage of that and let them be doing something else while you work with a selection of younger ones, and then later, even after younger ones have gone to bed, you can spend some teaching time with olders.

Anyway, again, I don't have quite the same situation, or as many kids, but in juggling a relatively wide age range (13-3), these are some things that have helped me focus on the different levels we have going.

HTH

Pax,

Sally

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

great ideas in the responses... that's why I love coming to this forum so much.

I have a question:

What do you do when you have a bunch of kids, but the oldest is the only one in school (she's almost 7), and so if you occupy the littles while she's doing math and phonics, she gets jeallous because she wants to do what they are doing.

Lots of stuff we all do together and have fun doing, but some things like learning to read, and learning math facts are not negotiable, and she really needs to concentrate on doing them, even if it is only for 20 min at a time.

any ideas?

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Theresa-Lynn wrote:
What do you do when you have a bunch of kids, but the oldest is the only one in school (she's almost 7), and so if you occupy the littles while she's doing math and phonics, she gets jealous because she wants to do what they are doing.

Lots of stuff we all do together and have fun doing, but some things like learning to read, and learning math facts are not negotiable, and she really needs to concentrate on doing them, even if it is only for 20 min at a time.

Well today I introduced our new dressing frames to my 3 and 5dd. Immediately the dc 8,10,12 and 14 all wanted to have a go I told them they could once they had completed their maths, that was enough incentive, once their maths was done they all tried in turn the frames (My dd5 learnt to tie her shoelace today!!!)

I find this one a really tricky thing, you see what you are doing with the littles is fun and her stuff is hard going at times. I've had this problem for years and I don't have just one 'school age'. I would put a video on for the younger ones and next thing I know all the dc would be there I've given up on any screen, video or computer, my dc just get sucked up mysteriously

The incentive seems to work the best, as long as they are reassured that they will also have a turn, and older children take a quicker amount of time to do what activity/craft you have set up.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

I try to have everyone start off at the table, littles colour or bead while bigs do some more intensive stuff like Math. Then when the littles get bored or boisterous, I let them play quietly in the adjoining room where I can see them. This works alright. And there's a lot less jealousy...

As time goes on though it settles down for the older, especcially when they are joined by a sibling!   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I think Angel's idea of just covering the basics until the baby is a little older is a fabulous idea. Honestly, you need to cut yourself a little slack. Just because 6 weeks marks the time when you are "back to normal" gynecologically, we all know it takes a good 3 months to start feeling emotionally normal. Your hormones are going through a big, big change right now and that needs to be taken into consideration when you look at how best to balance family life, homeschooling, and a new baby.

That said, here are some things that help our lives run a little more smoothly (which essentially echoes what Rachel stated):
1. the oldest children (in your case, this would be the 11yo) need to learn how to work independently and not be as needy as the younger ones for mom's attention.

2. a list of independent assignments or activities to work through helps a little with the "what do I do now, mom?" routine.

3. Discover what time works best for everyone for gathering for family activity. This could be a read aloud, watching a history or science video, or a group project that the older children can assist with the smaller children. For us, it's after the independent seatwork is finished, but before lunch.

4. Don't worry not starting by a certain time. Just because someone starts at 8 and another starts at 9, doesn't mean that suits your family.

5. Use naptimes (if they exist with any regularity) to work with the 2nd grader and K-er to do work that they need your attention for. Or maybe adapt an hour in the evening when dad is home to do this work. As Rachel said, be flexible!

6. I don't see a problem with working on yesterday's unfinished work today, unless, of course, you have to report to someone else on a quarterly basis. If you do, then...well, hmmm....not sure what could remedy that.

We're expecing #7 the middle of January, and I'm expecting there to be quite a disruption to our flow for a while. I expect we'll be behind what I have planned currently, and I'm OK with that. As long as I have some idea of where we're going, we'll get there eventually...hopefully before the next school year starts!

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

These are such wonderful ideas! I think that I try to do the olders first because 6th grade (we are enrolled in MODG this year, mostly for 6th--they told me to grade the 2nd & K, but that just doesn't work for me right now--I'm lucky to review the 2nd's work with her, let alone record & keep track of grades for her and who keeps a K's "grades" anyhow??), but I always feel the need to have the 6th grader's work done, and probably sacrifice time and peace of the youngers for it.

I too have had the schoolers look at the fun the littles are having and want to join in. I just tell them to finish and they may join in. Unfortunately, my 1 & 3 yo keep getting into brawls over toys, and most times, they are stopping their school work to referee while I am working with one of the other olders--the noise of these two is so loud--maybe playing with them first will help...

I think I am going to try having the 2 olders start w/o me and play with the K & younger crowd (ie, play, read, craft...). We DO have a regular nap time and it is needed for my sanity! Usually I end up working with all 3 of the olders at that time for a bit each. Oh,and the Moby D has become my friend (and Gianna's ). I wear her almost all day (even in this lovely 90 degree weather). I think I'll post that awesome invention in another area, but it makes holding her and homeschooling a breeze (now if I were just a little longer & I could wrap the 1 & 3 yo up on me as well, we'd be all set and I wouldn't be doing this post). We call her "Moby G" .

I think the whole expectation thing is huge. I am a perfectionist and work much better under a "schedule," as do my kids. However, I think my expectations need to be adjusted for everyone's well-being.

Thank you all, yesterday was a rough day. I heard the school bus dropping kids off around 4pm and my kids were all asking me different questions at the same time and I said, "Was that the public school bus?" They said, "Yes." My response was, "Quick! RUN and catch it!" To which they laughed (because they know, as well as I that God has called us to this life and even though I want to cry & scream many times each day, they are loved dearly)!!

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I've had a tearful day today wondering how I will do it all next Monday when we start school.

I won't be any encouragement today.

Just want to say I'm in the same boat with 11, 9, 6, 4, 2, newbie.

My boys are difficult these days. I've said this before on the forum, but I feel like my boys are the ones on 7 brides for 7 brothers.

Somehow we will survive. . .but I want to do MORE than merely survive. I want the kids to flourish in this home school and I feel that is lacking lately.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Ok, for what it is worth, 6 weeks after the baby is born is always tons harder for me than newborn. Newborn, they sleep a lot, you all cuddle and we did lots of reading. You are on a new baby euphoria and everything in the world is perfect. Six weeks - you are hitting hormone adjustments, energy dips, and find yourself crying for no apparent reason. With a newborn, even olders questions could be easily answered from the bed cause the house was quiet. Not so later - and you no longer have those nice meals or mom or dad around to run interference. The hardest of all is the crawling and toddler stage. These simply have to have mom almost constantly to train them - to pick up after themselves, not to eat the pushpins, etc. They sometimes don't have the attention span to even quietly listen to a siblings read aloud.

You have 3 at hard to homeschool ages - don't burden yourself too much. Set minimum priorities and make them doable but something that won't leave you always feeling like you are going to drown and never come up for air. Do you have to hand in to MODG or do you just use the plans. If you are just using the plans - then bigtime streamline. 2nd grade and below, there is so much natural variation anyways - just do the very, very minimum and make it short, easy - don't plan to introduce major new concepts unless the child demands it (except the First Communion Prep) and leave plenty of material out for self discovery - pattern blocks, any self-correcting materials you have, etc. My focus with 2nd grader is religion, math (as many games as possible to reinforce whatever learning but things that are on hand and no planning or major cleanup). We did some hide under a cup type games with cheerios (that can also be shared with toddlers)so that addition and subtraction. (We weren't advanced in any of our subjects so if your child is even further along in math than this, I really, really wouldn't worry too much). We had some easy workbooks in math for practice and some independence for a 2nd grader - very short, nothing really stressful. The only other thing we made sure of was readng practice (most of mine were learning to read at this age so this was a huge lag and we were doing phonics, etc.) but whatever must be done here, again keep it short. The toddlers will wreck havoc (not intentional naughtiness - just they might find the paints and experiment or....) if you spend more than about 20 - 30 min. without direct interaction with them or at least that was our experience. K I wouldn't worry about much at all - cutting opportunities, read alouds, art - just enough to keep boredom out but you sane. It helps if some of this is special activities for school time only especially if it engages them and creates silence for the 6th grader. If I had to let something go entirely, it would be any planned "school" for the K. (I do a lot of that even when I don't have toddlers and babies).

For the 6th - If a child is really strong in something, they won't end up being terribly hurt if they spend the next 6 mo. teaching themselves. Some of these areas can be covered with simply books and booklogs or letting them self-check. If there is a major struggle - that is where you prioritize your time.

Looking at the ages of your dc - everyone under the 6th grade gets read alouds whenever in the day is best for quiet - maybe a special quiet toy for the littles in the same room while you snuggle with the K and 2nd grader and read aloud. Pick something that both will like, if possible. Then the K - don't sweat anything but have lots of things they can do if they want to- cutting trays, etc. Take the toddlers outside for outside time when 6th grader is doing really tough new concepts and throw a ball with them or play(in our house this was usually math). The second grader - I don't think it is worth worrying about anything beyond religion, math and reading. Keep those very short and at a time when baby is in a good mood or asleep. Don't expect grandiose projects but occassionally someone in my house would make their own grandiose projects - then clean up could get overwhelming if dh wasn't willing to help here - fortunately he was happy too as long as it was not glitter on the dining room table.

The 6th grader it is tougher because lags now are not as easy and stress-free to overcome. Try to set up real independence in all areas of strength and pick one or two major things to focus on especially. Usually they can do math independently as long as they have a text well suited to them and you or your dh grade it each night. Grammar was similiar in our house. My 6th graders were always reading something - so that helped. Writing was our big bugaroo at this age and that tended to be the one thing I'd try and pay attention to - but I didn't try to keep up with anyone's plan - just view plans to see what typical goals were and make sure that even if we didn't do all assignments, etc. we were still achieving goals. Having something really easy for you to use is essential. It might not be your favorite method of schooling - but if it makes all of you feel confident, that rubs off.

The other thing is accept that you cannot do it all. I remember talking to my husband about what things were most important to him in terms of housework. His priorities were meals and no clutter to trip over. Thoses things I really tried to get in. He could care less about bed making. We all took a holiday from bed making and lots of other chores for a while. (I did scrub the bathrooms on Sat. - or at least when they started looking really bad as a matter of sanitation and one of the toddlers loved to push the vacuum so that was something they did and I didn't redo even if there still was a bit of stuff. When the weather was nice, we ate lunch and snacks outside - gave us outside time and no mess for me to clean up in the kitchen . Any painting, playdoh, that kind of thing was much less stressful outside.

Janet

It has been a while since I've had the youngers like that but I do really, really empathize as the reality is that it is exhausting. I still remember.
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version