Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: What did you read this summer? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 10 2005 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I am curious to hear what have you read this summer. I always get so many good ideas from people on hsing boards!

While I was home I read mostly books in Spanish:

El Rey- an interview with the king of Spain. Very interesting and a peak into Spain's recent history.

Juana la Loca - a biography of the life of the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain who became Queen of Spain and had such a sad life.

The Game by Laurie King one in the series featuring detective Mary Russell.

What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg

El faraon del Desierto by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, an italian author. The book was a thriller similar to a Tom Clancy book. It was good and I intend to read more by him. I saw that his books are translated into English and are available at Amazon.

Antes de Ser Libres - the Spanish version of a book written in English by Julia Alvarez. It is a YA book about a girl coming of a age at the time of the end of the dictatorship of Trujillo in the Dominican Republic. It is a good book and I intend to have my dd read it at some point.

Story of a Soul - the first time I read it. Loved it.

What about you?

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 10 2005 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I have started Crossing the Threshold of Hope and
Last Child in the Woods. As a family we're re-reading Lord of the Rings and have read several in the Swallows and Amazons series.

I don't read as much as I'd like. Usually, by the time everyone's out at night, I'm ready to hit the sack too!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2005 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Funny, I find we do MUCH more reading aloud as a family in the winter. Something about the early twilight and a fire in the fireplace just makes it more conducive to snuggling up with a good book, I guess. In the summer, the days are so long and so full that by the time we're all in, we're really "all in" in every sense of the expression!

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I read "I Believe in Love" and "I Choose All", both about Therese of Lisieux. Now I am reading "Little Counsels of Mother Agnes of Jesus" (who was St Therese's sister Pauline).

I also read "The Battle for Vatican II" by Richard Cowden Guido, "Defending the Papacy" by Gerard Morrissey, and "Catechisms and Contreversies" by Michael Wrenn.

On the fictional side, I read "Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot and "Man in the Queue" by Josephine Tey.

I read aloud Robin Hood to my 9 year old.

Enjoyed all of these books!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2005 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I didn't read anything too memorable, but I'm currently reading As I Remember by Lillian Gilbreth (the mom from the real Cheaper By The Dozen). It starts off a little rough because she goes through quite a few previous generations, but once she hit her childhood it gets very interesting. I especially love her descriptions of schooling at home in her younger years.

Jeanne and I are still reading Little Women aloud to each other. I'm afraid it's going to take the rest of our natural lives to finish it . But, it is great fun to take turns reading aloud!

As a family we're reading Carry On, Mr. Bowditch! (Thanks to Julie and The Arrow!) We're loving it.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2005 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Willa,

I love Josephine Tey's books. Have you read The Daughter of Time - one of my favourites?

I am re-reading some of my Chalet School books - children's fiction by Elinor Brent-Dyer.

Also reading Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch and Learning At Home: A Mother's Guide to Homeschooling by Marty Layne.

I re-read Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee.

And I am reading a Dr Who novel - one of the novels based on the new Doctor Who. I saw the movie War of the Worlds and watched the old version on DVD and re-read H G Wells' War of the Worlds,too.

I am reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to the boys, in preparation for the movie release in December. Its an old favourite for us all ( of course)!

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Natalia wrote:

What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg
Natalia

Natalia, Do you like Elizabeth Berg's books? I haven't read any but, as a first time mother, I enjoyed reading every parenting article she wrote. She was the senior editor for Parent's Magazine. Of course, as I processed in my attachment parenting style I gave up on Paren'ts Magazine.   

Leonie wrote:

I re-read Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee.

I read this book for the first time this summer.    It was suggested several times at Lit Alive! and I finally got a copy. It's a great read and I think I'll refer to it often this school year.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Cay Gibson wrote:

Natalia, Do you like Elizabeth Berg's books?

Yes, I do like them. I like her style. Her prose is beautiful and her character have depth. She is a modern author though, dealing with modern topics. I mean that her characters don't always make the moral choices.
I didn't know that she used to write for Parent's magazine. I never heard of her until last year when a friend recommended The Art of Mending. It was a good book about a family, how they face conflict and how they solve it.
After reading this I read others:

Open House
Until Something Better Comes Along ( or something like that)
Durable Goods
Joy School

Natalia

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

My summer reading list:
The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge
In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden
The Middle Window by Elizabeth Goudge
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Coromandel Sea Change by Rumer Godden

Current unfinished reads:
Memory and Identity by Pope John Paul II
An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden
Looking for God in Harry Potter by John Granger
Homeschooling with Gentleness by Suzie Andres

Children's books that I've pre-read for the girls:
Boston Jane: The Claim by Jennifer L. Holm
Boston Jane: Wilderness Days by Jennifer L. Holm
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

And I am currently listening to Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery on tape in the van with the children. I read the whole Anne series about 11 years ago for the first time. I think I am finding the book even more wonderful now that I am a mother. I am constantly driving with tears in my eyes!

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Leonie wrote:
Willa,
I love Josephine Tey's books. Have you read The Daughter of Time - one of my favourites?

Ooh, yes, I read that one as a teenager and have reread it a couple of times since. I hadn't read any others of hers until I found the other one on a 10cent rack at the library.

The Doctor Who books sound good
And I've liked the sound of the Chalet School books for several years -- can't remember who first mentioned them to me -- it may have been you!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Irene,
I love your list. I love Rummer Godden!
You reminded me that after I read A Scent of Water, I wanted to read more of Elizabeth Goudge books. I have to put her in my "to read" list.

I read the Anne of Green Gables books for the first time last year. They were great. I can't believe that I went so long without reading them!

Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Willa or Leonie,

Who is the author of the Chalet School books? Are they similar to Enid Blyton's St Claire or Mallory Towers?

Natalia

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Recent reads:

This spring I read Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves, and really enjoyed it.

Summer reads (it was a lightweight summer -- nothing too heady here....)

Harry Potter books 4, 5 and 6
Why Women Need Chocolate
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Seasons of a Mother's Heart (loved this)

And I just started to dig into the latest by one of my favorite writers -- Sophia House (Michael O'Brien) and I am loving it, as I've loved all his books.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Karen E. wrote:
Recent reads:
Why Women Need Chocolate

This sounds intriguing. Can you elaborate, Karen?

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Natalia wrote:
Irene,
I love your list. I love Rummer Godden!

I realized that I should add some information on two of the rumer Godden books. I did not like Coromandel Sea Change anywhere near as well as I loved In This House of Brede. It was an entertaining book for the beach, but it was also somewhat disturbing.

And I was surprised to find An Episode of Sparrows in the children's section of our library. While many of the main characters are children, I would not want my girls to read it until they are older. One of the main characters is a neglected little girl. It becomes clear that her traveling mother is a rather unsavory character. When she comes home for visits with her daughter, she kicks her daugher out of her room in order to "entertain" men in the room. I am really enjoying the book, though, so I highly recommend it for you moms.

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

Summer seems to be a time when I read shorter books or just certain chapters. Our days are so full that reading time is limited. But....I did just read "The Land Without a Sunday" by Maria Von Trapp. It is an excerpt from the book "Around the Year with the Trapp Family," also by Maria Von Trapp.

It will probably take an hour at most to read....and may change the Lord's Day for you forever. It has changed mine.

You can read it online here.

Blessings !!!

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

teachingmom wrote:

And I was surprised to find An Episode with Sparrows in the children's section of our library. While many of the main characters are children, I would not want my girls to read it until they are older.

I loved that book. I can't imagine why it's in the children's section. The Kitchen Madonna would be great for kids though!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Hi!

The author of the Chalet School books is Elinor Brent-Dyer.

Karen, I also read the HP books this winter ( not summer! ). I read books 3,4, 5 and 6.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

teachingmom wrote:

Why Women Need Chocolate
This sounds intriguing. Can you elaborate,Karen?

On the book or on the chocolate?

The title certainly caught my attention -- someone on another list mentioned it. Debra Waterhouse is a nutritionist who specializes in women's health. The book is, in many ways, nothing new, but it is a good reminder of the "all things in moderation" philosophy. It's also refreshing to have someone acknowledge that our cravings can often come from a physiological source and that they really are related to our female biology.

Her message is basically to pay attention to one's cravings, determine if they're physiological or emotional, and handle them accordingly. She's not opposed to a little bit of chocolate every day (a philosophy I tend to live by.) She has a very common-sense approach that I liked. She has several books out on women's health and nutrition, but this is the only one I've read.

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Leonie wrote:
Hi!

Karen, I also read the HP books this winter ( not summer! ). I read books 3,4, 5 and 6. Leonie in Sydney

Hi, Leonie!

You'll have to tell me what you thought of Book 6 ... I'm a little obsessed with my theories on it right now ....

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version