Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: new front loader, now what? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

I scored a Whirlpool Duet Sport at Lowe's yesterday for only $350!! I am really psyched, but now I have to figure out how to use it. Here are the questions I have.

-Which detergent to use? I know I need to use HE, but which brand. I need something free and clear (for me) and something that isn't harsh as DD#1's bottom is sensitive. Right now I use All Free and Clear on our clothes, but DD#1's undies have get thrown in with the diapers which are washed in Biokleen.

-How much detergent to use? I have softish water, and right now I use have the recommended amt in my top loader. Those of you with soft water do you use less than the recommended amt of the HE detergent?

-Can I use vinegar in my rinse? Right now I put it in the fabirc softener cup.

-My whites get pretty stinky before I wash them (you know, wet towels and such festering in the summer heat ), so I throw baking soda in. Without it, my clothes don't come out smelling fresh. Can I do this with the front loader? Or, will the whites cycle completely remove the need to do that?

-If you use cloth diapers what is your washing procedure for them? Right now, we do a cold prewash with baking soda, then we fill with hot water, soap and a little more bs and agitate for a few minutes and then soak for an hour, then go through the longest wash cycle with that soak water and vinegar in the final rinse and then one more rinse for good measure.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions. I am excited about this washer, but right now a little intimidated

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I don't know about your other questions, but regarding the first one...we were told when we bought our front loader over 6 years ago that we had to use low suds detergent. We did for the first month and then stopped and went back to our regular detergent (All Free and Clear). I have never noticed a difference. Just my experience.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, I had stocked up on detergent before I had the boys--which was almost a month before I got the washer and dryer set--so I'm using my Arm and Hammer still (I've found Target has the best price). I've got 1/2 of a 5 gal container, and two boxes left, so it'll be a while yet til I run out.

I don't know about our water--I know its not hard, cause I don't have to use a water softener--but I use a small amount of detergent (keeping in mind that I would use less in a front loader than in a top loader anyway). Of course, I also end up adding some Clorox Oxy to almost every load, so that helps, too...

I don't know about the gentler detergents. Apparently, we all have skin like cast iron (kind of like our stomachs), so that has never been an issue for us. Sorry!

Glad you scored such a deal, though!!!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We've only ever used front loaders. I do think you can use less detergent than recommended - I usually do. I find if I use as much as they say it never rinses properly. I don't know about US brands, sorry.

For nappies, I just used the intensive and soak programmes on my machine, 60 degrees. I'd suggest experimenting as to what suits you.

I use vinegar in the fabric conditioner dispensing part of the detergent drawer when I wash towels or nappies.

Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I have my front loader for five years, and I love it. But I find it hard to find the HE detergents, so I went back to the regular soap. I just use less. I use liquid detergent, Downy Fabric softner and bleach on my whites. I have never heard of using vinegar in the rinse, but I suspose that you could put it in the fabric softner container withoug a problem. Does it make your towels smell fresher?

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

Carole N. wrote:
I have my front loader for five years, and I love it. But I find it hard to find the HE detergents, so I went back to the regular soap. I just use less. I use liquid detergent, Downy Fabric softner and bleach on my whites. I have never heard of using vinegar in the rinse, but I suspose that you could put it in the fabric softner container withoug a problem. Does it make your towels smell fresher?

Thanks for the replies...and keep them coming

The vinegar does 2 things. It acts as a fabric softener and it also helps rinse out the soap. Actually, I think that getting out all the soap is what softens the clothes.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

ann@home
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote ann@home

I've had a duet for about 5 yrs and love it.
I also skipped the HE detergents and use All Free/Clear-I just fill the detergent holder about 1/3 below the fill line. Never had any issues wtih oversudsing (sp?)

I also used vinegar once in a while with dipes-I put it into the bleach section and it seemed to work just fine. But you could use it in the softener cup too I think. I still use it with towels sometimes too.

For dipes I washed them like regular heavy loads but with an extra rinse. About once a month or so I'd wash with hot water, NO detergent and vinegar to be sure there was no soap build up.
I never did a cold rinse or soak and I never had problems with stains or stinky dipes. i also used the dry pail method with some baking soda tossed in and that's it. I found the simple method to work fine for us and I used a wide variety of dipes from pockets to fleece to flannel to cotton/hemp fitteds.

I think you could throw the baking soda in with the clothes with no problem, just start with a small amt to see how it works.

I'm not sure about the biokleen, I thought I remembered reading somewhere on Mothering.com that biokleen didn't work well over time in front loaders but I have no idea why that would be?? I think using it in small amts would be just fine.

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Patty

I've had my Whirlpool front loader for over a year and love it! We got some of that special detergent because they gave us coupons for a bunch of free bottles, but the guy at Lowe's told me I could use regular detergent, just use about half the usual amount. So that's what I do now. Sorry, I don't know about the vinegar and baking soda questions. Sounds like it would work okay though.

I was intimidated when we first bought ours, too, but got over it quickly as I got used to the controls. I wasn't too sure about the front loader getting out stains as well, either, but it got chocolate ice cream out of a white t-shirt so well I couldn't even see the stain.

You got a good deal, BTW!

Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version