Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Teaching Handwriting to a lefty child Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

For the first time, I am approaching the task of teaching a left handed child handwriting. Does anyone have any recommendations on books, etc.? I am right handed!

Thank you!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Flip spiral notebooks over and start from back to front (writing on the back side of the page as the front). Helps my son a lot.

Also, you can tilt the page so that the far edge of the paper is pointing at his chest (rather than the near edge, as it is for right handed writers).

Hth,
Julie

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I was just going to post on this too! My lefty boy prints his letters differently than I think you are "supposed to" - he will make individual strokes from bottom to top instead of top to bottom, or right to left instead of left to right, or do them out of order. Are lefties supposed to do that? Should I work on correcting this? It seems that getting the strokes "right" will aid with the flow of cursive later.

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

My son has unusual letters too. He also has dysgraphia. We are working with a speech pathologist and using her techniques for helping him to learn how to form his letters more correctly. There are certain differences that seem to help him (he makes non-traditional 'a's and 'p's and 'b's).

Mostly he is learning to say the sounds of the letters as he forms them. That's helping him in several areas. He's 13 , reads well, but has a difficult time with flow and sustaining any writing. It's getting better through the therapies we're doing each day.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I have the opposite problem (what else is new )! I'm the lefty and Thomas and Maggie had to learn to use their right hands ... they still do many letters backwards and it took FOREVER for them to do the Sign of the Cross with their Right Hand!!!!!

JP, on the other hand ( ) is definitely left handed and is having very few problems with his writing (altho I did just switch him to Ferby!)

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

My only lefty is 8.5 and I have to work w/her on forming the letters in a better way. I don't view it being a difference because she is left-handed. I've had other children do this as well...making the letters starting from the bottom, round letters started in the opposite direction, etc. It is easiest just to nip these habits in the bud, regardless of handedness, IMO. After all, we read and write going from left to right, and handwriting goes more smoothly when it's done in a certain way, especially once you transition to cursive.

We really like Handwriting Without Tears. I know the teaching guides give suggestions on how to make adaptations for a left-handed child, such as slanting paper so they don't get that backward slant that is sometimes evident with left-handed writing.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version