Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: 1st 2 years of a classical program Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

My son will turn 5 in January and reads at a 3rd grade level and LOVES "learning".

We mostly do Montessori-based learning for now, but I do intend to eventually follow something like what's described in the Well Trained Mind. (but Catholic.) The Grammar STage of the Trivium traditionally runs grades 1-4, right? So my thought is to go ahead and begin "grade 1" in January and spend roughly 18 months on that work, and then another 18 months on "second grade" work. To me, this seems like a less stressful/demanding way to begin our schooling adventure. What do you think?
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

In Laura Berquist's book "Designing Your Own Catholic Curriculum" she makes k-2 "Primary", 3-6 "Grammatical", 7-9 "Dialectical", and 10-12 "Rhetorical". The primary stage is mostly for gaining proficiency in memorization, math, and reading skills to be a firm foundation--along with faith formation--for future learning and fact acquisition. In the primary stage there are far fewer subjects (my understanding is that this is very different from "Well Trained Mind"), and they are ordered toward helping the child become proficient in those skills necessary for future learning.

We started our K when the boys were almost 5 and took about 14 months to finish it. It was a difficult year in general as I was a new homeschooler, my husband was deployed, I had baby #5, and we had lots of visitors, but the year was still a success. After that, we had no problem doing the planned coursework in about 10 months. I gave myself plenty of time to do what needed to be done along with gaps for field trips and rabbit trails and pausing when the kids hit a learning wall.   

I'm not trying to discourage you, only to say you may complete what you plan more quickly than you expect, especially with a good reader. Mine were late readers.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

TWTM is a bit more strenuous in the early years than DYOCC's suggestions.   So perhaps 3 years to complete 2 WTM years would be a good idea, especially since your child is so young.   TWTM tends to be heavy on the seatwork.

If he is zipping through the work easily, all the more time to spend on just being a child -- on nature study and crafts projects and liturgical life and learning good habits that will serve him well later on in life.

I would work on making the history and science notebooking fun and enriching and full of rabbit trails at that age.   TWTM suggests this, but in my experience as moderator of a classical education group, sometimes homeschool moms of bright youngsters let that part of it slip and start setting their goals on achievement, which sometimes leads to burnout for the child and mom.

It sounds to me like you are approaching it the right way !

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

"sometimes homeschool moms of bright youngsters let that part of it slip and start setting their goals on achievement"

Willa, thanks for this great reminder!!

Rachel, thanks for your explanation. I've been putting off reading DYOCC but perhaps I should.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

happymama wrote:
Rachel, thanks for your explanation. I've been putting off reading DYOCC but perhaps I should.

Willa is really the brains here, but I thought my experience might be helpful. Don't be intimidated by the book. The meat for the beginner is only about 30 pages. The rest is a year by year course breakdown. I read the intro once a year to see if I still agree. I haven't picked up WTM yet.

An interesting note, Michele Q was telling me that Laura Berquist is very influenced by Charlotte Mason (I heard Laura say something to this effect herself) so I have found her approach goes hand in hand with Real Learning.

I hope your adventure starts well. I remember calling a friend after my first day of homeschooling and telling her it was the worst day ever. Her response was, "Well, now you have that behind you."

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Laura Berquist's book is very concise. I recommend it highly for new classical homeschoolers. My husband read through it extremely quickly and came away with an excellent working knowledge of the concept. I think her books lists are fairly good as well, though of course, it's easy to customize to your needs.

I can surely see the CM influence in LB's approach. The two philosophies are entirely compatible.

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Trivium Academy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Trivium Academy

As a WTM user for first and second grade, I recommend looking to your child to see what they need instead of just following the WTM (or any other guide) blindly.

WTM recommends curricula that might not fit your child or your goals. If value Charlotte Mason's teachings/techniques at all, you might not be happy with WTM suggestions in the long run. Take what you like from WTM and make it your own.

We've adopted Tapestry of Grace, dropped Spelling Workout until 3rd when we'll start Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks, dropped First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise and changed to Primary Language Lessons by Lingua Mater/Hillside Education.

I know could have done much worse that what we did but I have made missteps with my dd7 using the WTM blindly for first grade. I should have just focused on Bible/character education, phonics instruction, reading & narration, handwriting, and math as our core subjects and used history, science and other subjects as supplements.

I disagree with grammar and spelling curriculum in first grade. A child who cannot read fluently shouldn't have to learn to spell. Learning about nouns, verbs and punctuation can be done through copywork and informal discussion or even through picture books about grammar like A Mink, a Fink and a Skating Rink: What is a Noun?

Anyways, that's been my experience.
:) Jessica

Back to Top View Trivium Academy's Profile Search for other posts by Trivium Academy

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version