Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Favorite toddler shoes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

What kind of shoes do you have for your toddlers? My little one is 16months. Up until now she has worn Roobeez and I have been happy with them. But as we go into colder weather, and she is running around more and more outside I am looking for something a little heavier.

Way back when, my toddlers all got their feet measured and fitted at Stride Rite and I felt strongly about paying for "quality" shoes. Now there is so much talk about the flexible shoes for the little ones instead of the hard stiff ones from Stride Rite. Besides, the thought of getting to a shoe store with this gang is daunting.

Of course, the most interesting thing is she is my 7th child, 5th girl and I don't seem to have any shoes her size! How does that happen?

So, suggestions? Any shoes actually made in America these days?

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Well, since you asked, I blogged Karoline's first pair of shoes.. They were made in Pennsylvania! I wonder if they could be made for colder weather. They are really the nicest toddler shoes we've ever had.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

Well, I LOVE Crocs. My 2yo is on her 2nd pair this summer (her toes were poking out of the first pair ). Here is why I love them, they go on quick (so she doesn't miss anything ), she can put them on herself, they protect her feet, they are easy to keep clean (just hose them off), and they come in neat colors. They compare in price to Robeez. I just checked and hers were made in China, mine were made in Mexico.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Elizabeth wrote:
Well, since you asked, I blogged Karoline's first pair of shoes.. They were made in Pennsylvania! I wonder if they could be made for colder weather. They are really the nicest toddler shoes we've ever had.

Well, that's kind of cheating, isn't it? They are so cute, but I don't think Michele could keep up with the demand when we all start requesting them! The rest of us will just have to keep searching.

Karoline will certainly be the little princess this Fall. Lucky girl!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Molly, if your DD is close to walking, I think the Stride Rite shoes would be perfect. All the shoes (if you go to a store and get them fitted) are NOT stiff anymore. My kids have such odd-shaped feet, that I take them to the store, get measured, and they have to go in the shoe that will fit their feet. There is no picking their own! For my kid's first shoes (after Robeez and Bobux), I always do the ones like I had - little white shoes, with the ankle support, that are so flexible now.

I am not sure where shoes are made, but I know that for new walking feet, it is recommended to have more support for them. Crocs are nice, but not for all the time wear, as I have read. Wish I had links for you!

The store I go to is called Steppin' Up Shoes, I think, in Centreville.

HTH!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Okay, I have been doing some research. Stride Rite are made in China. So, far most of the "European" shoes are now made in China, too. Robeez are not. Naturino are not, but they are very expensive.

I found a great site though that I will probably order from. Soft Star Shoes are handcrafted in Oregon. You can even have a custom pair made! And the prices are comparable to Stride Rite or Robeez, and less than most others out there. There is even free shipping.

I am taking this no-China thing very seriously and this is a great opportunity to patronize the "little guy" and encourage small business in America.

Okay, off my soap-box. But check out the website!

Remembering Today

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Molly--Those little shoes are awesome! I have a toddler and a baby who may just have to have matching custom hand made shoes this autumn! Just to add to the topic...I love Pedipedshoes too. I couldn't find anything on the sight expressly saying how they are manufactured, but the company was started by an American couple form their home...I'm hoping the shoes are still locally produced. I e-mailed them, will let you know.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Pediped are made in China. They look so nice, too.

Remembering Today

Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Lillian

I have always used Robeez Shoes for my little ones. They are so nice because they STAY ON!! And they fit with socks. I started using them when other shoes just wouldn't fit my babies WIDE feet. So far they are all either wide or double wide. So these worked well. My son used these until he was 3 yo and loved them!!!

I buy them either at Striderite, Boutique type stores, Learning Express or online.

Isabelle 9, Anna 7, Sophia 5, Kolbe 4, Catherine 2

Smithflections

Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I emailed a website that sells European children's shoes to ask about where different brands are made. Here is their reply:
You absolutely right about it that companies are using China very often.
Ecco, Geox, Croccs, Kidorable, Josmo are made in China.
Primigi is mostly using Italy but few shoes were made in India, Russia,
Bulgaria, and Rumania. Entire Primigi Sport collection is made in China.
The same goes for Naturino.
Umi is made in Brazil not a China.
Bartek, Befado - Poland
Ricosta - Germany, Poland
Richter - Austria, Slovakia, Hungary

Thought someone else might find this helpful as well!

Remembering Today

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

teachingmyown wrote:
Well, that's kind of cheating, isn't it? They are so cute, but I don't think Michele could keep up with the demand when we all start requesting them! The rest of us will just have to keep searching.

Just wanted to add, for those who don't check Our Lady's Loom, that Michele posted the tutorial for her shoes here, for those so inclined! (I know I'm itching to get started!)

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

ann@home
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote ann@home

Molly, I've used Soft Stars for 2 children and they are wonderful! The suade mocs are great for cold weather because they are lined with sheeps wool. They are very soft and the soles are much heavier leather than the Robeez and similar shoes. They are still flexible like the Robeez, just a heavier leather so they are better for walking on rocks or even wet ground.
They last forever too! They don't get worn on the soles after a few months like many others I tried. I have 1 pr that lasted thru 2 kids and they were still nice enough to pass on to a friend-and they were probably worn for about 3 mos with each child.

My 6 yr old still wears a pr and I got a pr for myself around the house. I can't say enough about them obviously ;)
Good luck

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I ended up getting both Robeez and the Soft Star shoes. The Soft Star are a little big so they will be great when it gets cooler and she grows some.

An FYI on the Robeez, I bought them from Endless.com and they shipped them overnight with negative $5.00 shipping! What a deal! And returns are free should you need to send something back.

Remembering Today

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

YEah....I was looking at buying Robeez for Evan for the fall from the shop right here in town, but they are cheaper this way because of the shipping deal...little Pirate toes, here we come!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Oh!! You really must see www.livieandluca.com shoes!!
they are artisan made, I am pretty sure here in the US. I drooled over the viva Futbol! soccer shoes....
never bought any from them, but I've referred a
few people to them and everyone is very pleased....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

teachingmyown wrote:

I found a great site though that I will probably order from. Soft Star Shoes are handcrafted in Oregon. You can even have a custom pair made! And the prices are comparable to Stride Rite or Robeez, and less than most others out there. There is even free shipping.

These shoes are GREAT! I ordered ordered these "Classic w/Velcro" for my 20-month old, we rec'd them last week and LOVE THEM! They are so cute and the leather is top-notch. Love the design! And, the customer service is THE BEST. My neighbors who have them say they've made it through 2 kids, no problem (probably more, but that's all they have right now). They make great sizing charts, and she has lots of room for growth for the whole winter/spring without tripping over "too much shoe."

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Soft Star Shoes is having a clearance sale....55% off certain inventory left this week. Then Feb. 22-29, 65% off.

These sales are final....so that may make the first time buyer a little nervous, but their sizing charts are excellent and easy to use.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I bought my 3 year old a pair of See Kai Run sandals last summer. They are leather with a thicker flexible sole. They are the most flexible soled, not robeez style shoe I've seen. I was very please with them. We already had winter shoes, but I would definitely buy them again when new shoes are needed.

They're really cute, too. A nice red sandal (which, its kind of fun, imo, having bright but masculine colors available to boys. Sometimes their shoes and clothes can be sort of dull).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Just adding Michele's tutorial for the soft sole shoes in this thread.
Examples of fabrics
Another Pair

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping this and reporting in about the Soft Star Shoes that I ordered 2 years ago. They are being worn by the 2nd baby/toddler and look great, and could probably make it through another child! The velcro is still good and the soles are in great shape! The leather is still really decent. They are pretty much the only shoe both of the toddlers wore, indoors and out, for about 9-12 months....so they really are top-notch shoes and worth the price.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version