Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: So we have a rat... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

But would you believe we paid for her???

ARGH! I still can't believe I was talked into this. You may remember about a month or so ago I posted asking questions about bearded dragons. Well after loads and loads of research, we decided (okay I decided) no way, mostly due to a $$$ standpoint. Feeding it 50 crickets A DAY plus the lighting and tank and this and that...he was approaching $300 or more!

So moved to hamster...when we went to get a hamster yesterday, they were all really NOT nice...one even hissed!!! So the cute sales lady suggested a rat and my dd (12 yold) perked right up..."yeah mom!". The two of them (apparently my dd has read all about rats too in her hamster research!) tell me oh they are smart, they are inquistive, they are trainable, blah blah blah. And would you believe, they really had a cute one...totally gray!

SO now in my work room (the name for our sunroom that we use as a playroom/schoolroom) there is a rat in a cage named Clementine after the book by Sara Pennybacker. Apparently the heroine is hilariously funny and names her animals really funny names. Since we couldn't come up with a funny name, the kids went for Clementine herself!

Anyhoo...anyone else care to admit to owning a rat...I'm still getting over just saying I paid for one! Any advice?? Should we take her back to the store now to get our money back? Or will she really become this great family pet???

Or does anyone just want to call me crazy...I'm asking for it...I know

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Well... I'll laugh at you and call you crazy!! And I missed the post about the bearded dragons or I would have already laughed at you!!

At least you have a song you can sing to your rat...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

well- I'll let you in on a secret.... rats can be really great pets. They are generally gentle and friendly, and they seem to like people (vs. hamsters, which often just want to be left alone). The ones I've dealt with have had a lot of personality, and the owners have always been very enthusiastic about them. Little kids, especially, love them.   Keep us posted on how you do with your Clementine!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Clementine the Pet Rat sounds like a great story in the making to me!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My best friend in grad school had a rat as a pet growing up, and she and her husband had bought one too--she LOVED it! She insisted that they made wonderful pets. She used to let it out of its cage when she was at home so that he could run around the place

Good luck to you and your darlin' Clementine!   

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

The sales lady said that some people have trained their rats to sit on their shoulders and ride around the house with them

Maryan-you were in the midst of conference planning when I posted about the beardeds.

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I actually read an article in Wondertime magazine about how rats are actually great pets. I don't remember the specifics, but they apparently are cleaner and smarter than the standard rodent pets.

So, give it time. You might be surprised to find you have a great little pet there.

I certainly would trade my huge dogs for one!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

My ds has a pet rat. His name is Minimus. Fortunately, he is white, not grey. That was my condition for getting one. Can you exchange for a white one? It really helps. (BTW boys are "muskier." So, stick with a girl if you can.)

(We paid $5, though maintainance of course makes him expensive. It is basically my ds's "allowance.")

He really is very friendly, and pretty smart. On occasion I have felt a certain amount of affection for him. I do not have many dealings with him and we will never buy a rat again.

But--It has been a good experience for my ds. It was either this or a dog, so.... This was much less money and trouble.

If you don't think of it as a RAT! , then its not so bad. They ARE domesticated. Just an overgrown mouse. Just don't look at the tail!

And I'd certainly move him out of YOUR room!

hth,
CK

Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Yes...the tail is what gets me! You hold her and she is still, but the tail is still wagging!!! Getting use to that one!

Now why do you think white would be better? I didn't want the white...thought that looked way too mousey. My dd had already watched the $2 mice go around and around in their wheel and thought they were hilarious...and oh mom don't you think they'd be so much fun to look at. And then they stared back at us with those red beady eyes... Forget it!

I thought the gray rat would most closely resemble "hamsterness".

And yes...we had ruled out the dog earlier the summer when even the supposed-most hypoallergenic ones (bedlington terriers/poodles) all made me break out in hives...so here we are!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Kacky -- you are a much better mom than me ... we don't "do" pets (I say that but we've actually had 2 cats and 3 dogs all at one time + an iguana) ... but I'd have to draw the line at anything even resembling rodents ... I remember in 3rd grade we had hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, rats and rabbits all in our classroom -- the smell of cedar chips still bring back memories of overcrowded cages and how those little rodents "solved" their overpopulation problem !

But, hey, if you and your kids are happy -- more power to you dear. And Clementine is a great name .....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Kacky,
Somehow for me white was a clear sign that it was a domesticated animal. All the nasty wild ones would be grey.

Too bad about your grade school experiences, Mary G. That is really sad--for everyone!

Since we have only 2 kids, I figure we can handle some pets. It teaches responsibility AND science!!

DS says he wants to be a naturalist.... how can I deprive him of animal friends? Remember how important they were for Beatrix Potter!

I also remember what Karen Andreaola writes:
Everyday your child needs
Something to do
Something to think about
Someone (or something!) to love

Our (outdoor) cats, rabbit and rat really are loved by the kids. For a while my little dd only wanted the rabbit (not me!) first thing in the morning, she cuddled him for half an hour before getting on with the day.

I think contact with animals helps us appreciate what is uniquely human.

Kacky, you will certainly adjust to it.
Go and see Ratatouille!

CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Um...I don't know who told you that Beardies eat 50 crickets a day, but they were totally off. Ours eats 1 cricket every other day, unless he's eating carrot shavings, celery ends, or lettuce.

They *are* expensive up front, but they are so easy to care for, I barely even know he's there unless my son is holding him.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Tina- Everything I have read online like here and here and here have talked about A LOT of crickets. And my neighbors next door fed theirs (they have since moved away) a baggie full of crickets per day too. Your feeding system does sound easier!

And on rat news, I'm still the main one holding Clementine...her little feet "tickle" everyone too much...no one seems able to hold her for more than a few minutes at a time. So we're ALL getting use to each other. We are contemlating getting a second one just because of the loneliness factor. I don't know though. At least the pet store only carries females...I don't need whole rat family.   

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

Hi, my dd has a wonderful male rat named Burt.    He is also gray. His cage does stay in her room, is cleaned regularly and smells fine. She got him in February and he is quite a large rat now. The females stay a bit smaller than the males.

He is a wonderful pet for her! He loves to sit on her shoulders and is thrilled to lay quietly on her lap if when she scratches behind his ears. He even came on vacation to the beach (500 miles each way by car) with us this summer and was fine with it.

I grew up with an assortment of hamsters, mice and gerbils, but I think that rats make the better pets. (I also had one in my 5th grade class when I was teaching years ago who was just a terrific a class pet!)

This is a great book.

Good luck with Clementine! Burt has worked out well for us! (We also have 2 dogs, a cat and fish.)

Marie
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Patty

Our 7yo son has had a pet rat for about 6 months. She is black and white, and her name is Oreo. His older sister drew his name for Christmas, and gave him a gift card to a pet store. The guy at the store said rats are very good pets for children; they are tame if handled often, and they have less odor. Andrew adores Oreo, and she crawls along his shoulders and down his arms. He plays with her every day.

I know lots of people can't stand rodents, but I think she's cute. Wild mice or rats, though, I wouldn't want them running loose in my house!

Patty
Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version