Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How we manage on one income Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My dh related a conversation he had with some co-workers over lunch yesterday. One man he worked with said that his two kids had agreed to forgo Christmas presents in order to be able to go to Nebraska (from VA) to visit their new nephew.

To this my dh says "So, you're going to drive to Nebraska for Christmas?" The guy says "No, we are going to fly." At which point my husband says that Christmas at our house costs a lot less than flying four people to Nebraska. Stunned silence. A few utterances of disbelief. "You're kidding, right? With 7 kids!" and so on.

This is why the world is so amazed at one-income families. And this is why those of us committed to it can make it work.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We are one of very few one-income families in our moderate sized church, and the only homeschooling family .

It is hard to live on a single income- ours is very difficult at the moment, we are constantly going into debt just over the basics!

Forums like this help me to appreciate the joy and blessing of being home with our children, even if it means alot less of the frills of life. But, I know for me it looking at it each month, realising that we do indeed need to pinch more than most of our friends, but that the reason (being able to be with the kids each day) makes it more than worth it!!

This said, the homeschoolers I do know here have incomes that are far and above ours- which is why coming here to people 'committed to making it work' helps me so much.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

There are many sacrifices we make so that I can stay home with the kids. Of course I sometimes wonder if we would really have that much more money even if I worked, too. (You know the list of second income suckers: work clothing, lunches, daycare, transportation.) The only thing I've ever really missed in our efforts to live on one income is my car.

I sold my car when my older daughter was nine-months-old and we were preparing to move out of state. She was so intense even as a baby that I didn't have the energy or desire to use the car very much to go out on my own. It just seemed like a waste of money to keep it. Within about a year, though, I really missed having my own car.

We've been living on one income ever since and getting a second vehicle has been the biggest item on the wish list behind a our own house (which we bought last summer). It seems like there is never enough money, though, just to build up any savings or pay off our debt (which went up when we moved). I have finally realized that dream may not happen for many, many, many years.

However, I have begun to think that it's for the best. Sure, there are activities that we'd like to do with our homeschooling group and such, but an extra car would mean extra gas, maintenance, insurance, and car seats, no to mention extra debt. Plus, when my husband has been on break from his school, I've noticed the house is messier because we've been too busy running; we spend more money on junk food; the kids have a harder time adjusting to unscheduled days; and there is not time or energy for schoolwork. I think it may be for the overall best to only have one car because it makes it easier for us to get by one income.

And I wouldn't trade being at home and being able to educate my own children for anything, not even a shiny new mini-van.   
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

When out first two were little, and again when I had four littles, we did have two incomes. We spent a lot more money, and our debts were higher. For us, two incomes was not a blessing. We still don't have much monetarily, but we don't have the debt we used to, either. And I think we are probably happier.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I once read a book with the title something like, "Do What You Want and the MOney will Follow" -- all about finding the career/job that would make you most happy and not only would you be good at it (and thus successful financially) you would also be willing to forego things to make it all work.

Sounds like most of us here ... we are doing what we want, what we love and what we believe God wants us to do; and yes we're successful and yes we sacrifice and, more importantly, YES we are doing the GOOD!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

What got to me was the shock that we didn't spend thousands of dollars on Christmas! Last year at the office Christmas party, one couple was talking about the snowboard they got for their teen and saying how the child didn't even deserve it. Well, the snowboard cost more than what we spend on all 7 kids combined!

The funniest part is that our kids don't even know how deprived there are!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

teachingmyown wrote:
The funniest part is that our kids don't even know how deprived there are!

Oh yes! When asked, my son will say he wants books for Christmas.   Those asking haven't bought them because (they've told me) 'books aren't exciting enough for Christmas'.

OK?? But that's...what he asked for...???   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Quote:
'books aren't exciting enough for Christmas'

They haven't been at my house when much desired books have shown up if they think that

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I think it also helps that my kids don't go to school and have to see all day all of the stuff they don't have.
And they don't watch TV so they don't have commercials to tell them what they can't live without.
Honestly they have trouble making a Christmas list because they just don't know what's out there.
Some Christmases have been leaner than others (this year will be a lean year) but somehow we always manage to pull off just enough to make it special.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The son of a friend (age 10) mentioned to me last week that he had a Nintendo DS but people "mocked" him for not having a PSP ($220) so he got one of those, too.

!!!!!!

For the record, my ds (15) has a PSP...that he saved for and bought himself, as he's done with all the games he has purchased. We don't buy electronic game gizmos for our dc; if they want them they have to save up for them (and follow our rules on usage).

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Mare

JodieLyn wrote:
Quote:
'books aren't exciting enough for Christmas'

They haven't been at my house when much desired books have shown up if they think that

Nor my house. I had four squealing little girls when they opened up books for Christmas. The sheer joy actually took dh and me by surprise.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

In our house it's a tradition to spend Christmas morning opening presents, eating stollen, and then spending the rest of the day reading the books we've received!

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

We don't have a gaming system (yet). My son has said he doesn't want one at this point as his computer games are 'enough', and if he was to get one he'd like a Wii so he can move around while playing. I don't know how we'll handle the issue of buying it. Guess we'll figure that out when the time comes!

Another crackup: The same people who won't buy books for Christmas because they aren't exciting enough have stated we "should" buy the kids a gaming system. I'm told "he should have because everyone else has one and there's nothing wrong with them, you know". Once we have a gaming system, then they'll know what to buy the kids for Christmas.

I'm soooo confused.....    

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Oh my.....Christmas costing more than 4 airplane tickets!!!!?????? Whoa! I'm so out of the mainstream culture when it comes to this stuff. That is so shocking to me!

lapazfarm wrote:
I think it also helps that my kids don't go to school and have to see all day all of the stuff they don't have. And they don't watch TV so they don't have commercials to tell them what they can't live without.

Agree. Although, I’m sure this will change as my dc start to get older, we’ll probably “get out” more. Maybe? Maybe not.

We've been blessed that the kids in our neighborhood that my dc do play with, don't have a lot of nonsense either.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version