Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: K, 3rd, and 12th - OH MY! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

How do you teach a 5 year old K-er who desperately wants to do "real school" (no coloring! I was told today…) who can't read a lick yet, and a 3rd grader who is dx-ed with Asperger's, can read like crazy but would rather not, and as long as I am there to constantly direct him soaks up (and enjoys soaking up) any knowledge he can (but if left on his own would watch TV all day…).

I have no idea how to meet both their needs. I ended up having DD17 work with one today ( our official first day of school...) so I could give attention to the other, but that isn't really fair to her, as she has her high school work to do. I have to figure something else out. Except for science experiments, art, and music, the 8yo and 5 yo are just eons apart in ability, and I can't figure out how to combine...

It was easy last year when youngest dd was just 4…but now…now I am just at a loss how to do this without it taking all day, and with still doing all the other "have-to's" around the house!

Can any experienced moms give some advice???? I have been homeschooling 8+ years but have never had this age spead before, and I have never done K or 1st before (my ds went to the parish school for K & 1, and oldest dd started hs-ing in 4th....)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Can you do some kind of literature study?   Even older kids benefit from beautiful picture books like Cay's Catholic Mosaic, and littler kids can sometimes listen in to more challenging books read aloud to older kids.

The older one could do follow-up projects and research based on the picture book study.

Scissors, glue, clay, stencils and the like might be alternatives to coloring for the little one. My little ones would sometimes sit in on quite difficult read-alouds if they had something to do with their hands.

I have a senior, a 9th grader, a 6th grader, a special needs 8 year old that can't read yet, and a 4 year old who is becoming addicted to "doing school".   I just go from one to the next (not the senior; she is actually teaching a couple of subjects to the sixth grader and does her own work by herself).   In between times, the others are sort of on their own -- the ones who can work independently DO and the others just play.   As we move into the school year I'm going to plan some activities for the younger ones that they can do independently.

I really hope my four year old does get off the ground with reading because then he'd have something to keep busy with while the others are working.

And yes, mine sometimes do drift around without anything to do, and it does bother me.    In fact, I was going to start a thread sometime to ask about it.

So I'm not much help probably -- hope someone else can chip in.    

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version