Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Allergic to Wheat...help! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

2 of my sons have been diagnosed as "wheat sensitive" and I think even though I didn't test as sensitive, I am too. I have gained and lost the same 15 lbs 3 times since November...they now blame the wheat. Ever since I stopped eating it..the weight is just falling off!

I KNOW there are some lovely ladies on this board that live with this. I need practical help. I have no clue where to start with substitutions and how to dine out or visit without my sons feeling like they are missing out too badly.

What do I do about the occasional home-made toll house cookies whose smell alone made my kids feel welcome to be home on those cold winter days? I have no idea where the "mystery wheat ingredients" live either. We do mostly from scratch cooking anyway, so I don't think it will be too hard to switch knowing how much better we all will feel, but it is hard losing something you grew up with IYKWIM.

Thank you sooo much for your help...a few internet sites are leaving me dizzy I need practical with lots of mouths to feed advice.

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Donna Marie,

I've been looking celiac disease in the eye for the last month or so... I understand your pain!

The best thing to do is get a couple of cookbooks. See what your library has first! Don't buy till you try, if possible.

Here is a good one that I've used/looked at:

Allergy Self-Help cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones

all the other ones I've got are completely gluten free... which takes you waaayyyy out. If it's only wheat allergy, you still have lots of options.

What about substituting spelt flour? If you do that, then its just straight substitution, no other changes. Spelt has a really lovely flavor.

hth
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

To start I have found that a rice cooker and plenty of rice helps and brown rice cakes (Lunberg make all the difference) .
Start with a few mixes. Pamela's mixes, with their online recipes have made some of the old favorites palatable.
After a few months I am starting more "scratch" cooking. Pie crust has been successful with GF flour. I use rice flour for thickening.
Watch out for regular soy sauce, use tamari instead.
Chips, ice cream, chocolate, and margaritas do not have gluten .

Best wishes. This board has been a great source of info and support.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Pasta! Use Tinkyada. They are sooo good; we don't miss wheat pasta at all.

And there are many wheatless bread recipes. I haven't tried many, though, because we're also allergic to eggs and dairy.

If you're interested at all in Asian food, there's a wealth of recipes there. LMK if you are and I can give you a list of my favorite cookbooks.

If you use any soy sauce in your cooking -- switch to wheat-free Tamari instead. San-J makes one.

CK is right -- you still have lots of options. Exploring may be fun!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Oh, I do agree with all the suggestions so far. Also, check out Gluten Free Pantry. The chocolate chip cookies are good and the brownies are very good.
My favorite book resource is Wheat Free, Worry Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living. It's a perfectly titled book. It really is an art to live this way. For many of us, baking with wheat was an art, too. And we understand how hard it is to let go of food that has so many memories and meaning attached. I remember writing Viv in tears because of just those feelings. But you can work at this and become a gluten-free artist. Truly, the book changed my life and gluten-free is happy and healthy.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

On pasta: I really like Ancient Grains quinoa pasta. Comes in little colored "pagodas" that kids love.

I am going to have to look at that book, Elizabeth. Thanks for the tip!

ck

Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version