Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Draw Write Now?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Would someone be kind enough to describe this resource to me?

Draw Write Now

I want to encourage drawing (and handwriting for that matter) practice with my ds7 and dd 4.5. Dd loves to draw and is very natural. Ds resists, and could truly benefit from learning some drawing skills.

I read Drawing With Children this summer, and LOVED it. However, I am one of the intimitated adults who believes that I cannot draw to save my life. And while the Monart program described in the book sounds WONDERFUL, I just don't think I can do it with my kids.

Is the DRAW WRITE NOW program worthwhile? What kind of parent/teacher support does it require?

Thanks!

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Shawna, we bought our first DrawWriteNow books this year. I don't think your 7 yr old would need much help. He could probably do it on his own. Your dd might need some help, but it is all illustrated for you in steps so it is very easy.

One page has a few sentences that the child can use for copywork. On the facing page, the instructions for making the picture are all laid out. As I said before, they show how to draw the object step by step.

My oldest loves these books. They are a staple on our learning shelves now.

Blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(8,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Shawna? Did you forget to ask your local homeschool resource?

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I really liked these books for my 7yo last year. She was in first grade and did not like to practice handwriting. This was a painless way for her to do a bit of handwriting and then draw. She did end up getting tired of the format by midyear and just switched to a regular handwriting workbook. But in general, I would definitely recommend the resource and plan to use it with my next few girls.

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

We used them just for drawing. They are really good for showing you how to draw step-by-step (includes steps such as erasing parts of lines you drew). We really like them.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I can't draw without these books ! We use them, mainly if I want them to try and draw a certain animal or thing, they can pull them out and use them as a guide.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My dd just did this yesterday:

What you can see is lesson one of book one, with the example picture, the copywork, and the step-by-step instructions. I like the little student book because it has a place for the drawing on top and lined paper below (she has it folded under) for the copywork.
Hope that helps.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

bramasole
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote bramasole

My son is 5 and really likes Book 1. He has used it primarily for drawing, but I intend to pull a few writing 'leesons' from it this year. We have asked for other books for his 6th birthday in a few weeks. He was really impressed by two of the activities later in the book. One where you draw a boy by starting with the word 'boy' and the other where you draw a girl starting with the word 'girl'. He thought that was just the greatest thing!
Back to Top View bramasole's Profile Search for other posts by bramasole

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Thanks for the reviews! I really appreciate it.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version