Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: When mom goes to work - help? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Martha

My dh and I have decided things are tight enough that for the first time in over 10 years, I'm applying for a p/t job. Very p/t, only 10 hours a week at a local library. However, I have NO idea how to handle the application field for past employment or what in the world to put ona resume. I honest can't remember the last job I had or the details of it. Was it a gas station? I remember working at a gas station, but they are out of business now... or was it the satelite service company? ??

My dh says I fill it out with my job as Domestic Engineer and list all the amazing feats I accomplish around here for the family with titles such as bookkeeper, education facilitator, time management, etc...

Seriously? Yes, he's dead serious.

I need help with this and he's just annoying me.

I'm somewhat glad for this because these are things I should be able to handle if something ever should horribly happen to dh.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

No advice just good luck!

I actually don't think your Dh is crazy! Many people put volunteer service on their Resume. All those titles fit what you do in the home...

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I think those are perfectly good things to put on a resume! DH probably has a really good idea about how to word them so that they sound like great jobs. I know it's hard, since this is a stressful time, but I would take his advice.

I wish you luck when you go to work. I know there will be days when it is hard to go out the door, and days when you will do it with a skip in your step . I will keep you in my prayers!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

To be honest, I think it really depends on the job. You need to tailor you resume to the job description. If it is front-desk, checkout type of work, emphasize your people skills. If it is behind the scenes book cataloging and shelving, emphasize your organizational skills, etc.
Make sure you include any times when you have been in a leadership position or a position of trust (church committees, fund raisers, CCD teaching), get good references, and just be yourself.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 1:44am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Martha, it is easy enough to put together a good looking resume. Just find a few samples online. You should really think and come up with your past work history, though. Your role as homemaker will be listed first, as it is your most recent.

In your cover letter, be sure to emphasize your love of books and your frequent library patronage as a homeschooling mom. Comment on your ties to the community.

Can your priest write you a character reference? Have you done any work with a local homeschooling organization?

Fear not. God is good, and if this is an opportunity He's using to provide for your family. . .it will all work out. Local librarians are usually free to hire people who they think will be a good fit with their team.   If you make a good impression, that counts more than any concern about the fact that you've been home for 10 years.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Martha, you can also Google for something like "sample library assistant resume" which might give you some good ideas for jargon to use to emphasize good customer service and computer skills.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

One of my friends landed a similar job after ten+ years at home.

I would go ahead and list your time at home and put volunteer things you've done (esp. leadership positions) in the "past jobs" fields. Put "unpaid" after the job title so they know it was a volunteer position.

If you've ever done any book-related volunteering (story time during church nursery, assembling a book list or unit study), put it on the application. Also, any experience working with groups of children could go on the app. While many libraries have specially-trained children's librarians, it's always good to show that you could handle a young patron with patience. (That's what library visitors are called...patrons.)

Good luck! Sounds like a great p/t job!

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I actually had a similar experience. At the beginning of the summer, I applied at the local movie theaters. I still had most of my information from when I worked on the outside almost five years ago. However, I did put down stay-at-home mom as my most recent position. Of course, I had no idea where to start listing duties. Then it asked for how much I was paid and I really had to resist writing in "not enough".

It was probably not the most professional set of applications I ever filled out, but it was just the movie theater. They were happy to hire me just because I was older and wouldn't have any qualms about carding people for R-rated movies.

I wish you luck. I would encourage everyone to keep a rough resume somewhere in case you ever need it. By the way, I only ended up working for a month before my husband asked me to quit. Even though things are tight right now, he said that I'm more valuable to him being at home than I was to the theater. I think dealing with both the kids for an extended period of time was a real eye-opening experience for him.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Martha, prayers and sympathy, let me tell you!

I just applied for a job for the first time in forevah too! And such an odd job for me too. I was frozen over the application though, how in the world was I supposed to relate my elementary teaching background with bartending? Dh's wisecracking jokes at the time didn't help either, let me tell you!

As I said on my blog, I'm feeling good about it this week, the pay is great, the tip jars fill nicely, the cruising kitty will grow, so we'll just have to see what happens. They've said they'll call for the official interview this week. Waiting and praying, for both of us!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Dh is going to come home tomorrow so I can apply in person.

Jennifer! I would love to be a marina bartender!
But then again, I'm rather known for doing the oddest jobs and meeting the oddest people and that's without considering jobs I have been paid to do.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Martha, prayers for the job interview/application!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I got the job!    So fun and exciting! I've put in three shifts by myself and I really do like it. Such a variety of people come through, from fellow boaters to active duty pilots, it's neat. Last night we had a birthday party for a dog. He's 7yo and sat there in his sunglasses with his scarf on his neck looking cool.      Actually he really is a cool dog, a Jack Russell that skateboards! (Does this count as an only in Key West moment???)

Martha, how's your job app. going? I've worked in libraries before and thoroughly enjoyed myself there too. Libraries are one of my favorite places to hang, afterall!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Martha -- good luck on the job front -- I know how sometimes it just is what you have to do; and if it is something you should be doing, it will all work out.

Jennifer -- congrats on the 'tending job ... altho I don't know if I could sit thru a bday party for a dog -- but then, again, I know football (so if you have any questions -- fire 'em off! )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

marihalojen wrote:
I got the job!    So fun and exciting!

Fun!! And - congrats!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version