Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Roomba or Scooba anyone? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Does anybody have either one and love it or hate it? If you do what kind of floors do you have and what size? Where did you buy it? What about the reconditioned ones?

I have vast expanses (or so it feels) of white tile and one solitary small rug. Tile and wood upstairs too. I.m trying to do the housework myself and not hire someone - I'm managing most of it okay but the floors are doing me in! I know I sound like a spoiled brat but everyone here has a "maid" and I just don't want someone here all the time for some reason. Must be hormones but anyway....

Thanks in advance for your stories.

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

WOW! Looks cool- like what the Jetsons would have!

We are more the Flintstones type, however. We have totally concrete floors, all 2200 sq ft. I wonder if it does concrete? But...ah... to have my little robot slave get the jelly and chocolate milk and dirt off my floors every night while I slept. Sounds like heaven!

Peace,
Macmom

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Doesn't it though? My friend has one and loves it. She has the Roomba, carpet, and three kids in school. They have named it....it is female and called Julie (a big in-joke as that was the name of my housekeeper and very dear friend when we lived in Georgia....this was the closest they got to household help!!!).    It would be great to hear from folks with bigger families who like it, too. Or don't like it for that matter.

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Hi Katie,
I have a Roomba and I love it! I don't vacuum anymore! Just charge it up, turn it on, and let it do its thing! The only problem is it runs out of power fairly quickly so you can only do about two medium-sized rooms before it needs a recharge.
And there are some spaces it just can't get to because of its shape. You'll have to use a regular vacuum or dustbuster to get those.
Hope that helps!
Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
Oh, and the kids love to watch it do its job. So it has entertainment value, too!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Mari

Hi Katie,
I have a differing opinion so if you have already made your mind up, don't read.
I would try to have a little electronic equipment as possible in a house especially with little ones around because of EMF.
Also, although I would understand that you would want to do housework yourself and not hire help. But from what you have said, it seems sad that you are going to replace a potential Surinam Julie with a roomba.
Further, if your ex-Julie was the type to get down on her knees and really wipe down the floors so they are really clean (vacuum cleaned is not really clean) then it won't be as good.
We go barefoot indoors and our extended families too. Between us we have tried most things. But nothing beats the human touch, your own is the best but if you are not up to it, someone else. That is if you are clean floor maniac.

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Mari

P.S. we have ceramic tile and mainly waxed wooden floor expanses....found vacuums better on carpeted floors - but don't have any. Just rugs.

Not a big family - but always loads of visitors and space. So we feel like a big family.

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Katie

No decisions yet, Mari, so I appreciate the input. It's a lot of $$$ so I like to sit on those kind of decisions for a while. Showing my ignorance here but what is EMF?

I do limit electrical gadgets, particularly in the kitchen, as they take up space, break down, and we often need converters and what-not. I keep things pretty simple on that front.

It is a full work out keeping this house swept and mopped, though. It's dusty here and I need to sweep most places daily and the main living area and kitchen twice daily. (If I don't it's gritty and we all get really black feet.) That's a lot of my day spent sweeping! I don't currently own a vacuum. My kids can do under the table after dinner and do an okay job in their rooms, but it's still a lot. Am I whining? Hit me over the head if I am!!!

I may be depriving a Surinamese person of a job but I'm afraid I can't factor that into my decision. For some reason having someone here all day was really upsetting me. Post-partum hormones no doubt, but it was not good.

Thanks for the insights though!

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mari

Hi Katie,

How are the hormones going?    My sympathies.

I was referring to electromagnetic frequency radiation. The low frequencies are dangerous to our health. Most people are aware of the damage it does via mobile phones, but all electrical systems in our homes are are potential source.   I am sure there are websites about it but as always it is best to choose a book on it if you want to be sure of the source.

I sounds as if you need some floorkeeper help. I have family in a hot and dusty part of India who have extensive floors of marble which are wiped down 3 times a day. Sweeping and vacuuming never cleaned a smooth surface properly. Pass a damp wet tissue over to test. If you want to overcome black-feet sydrome I think it is the only way. Putting aside the dollars question, if you found someone discreet who only did only floor scrubbing and rinsing maybe it would work out. That would be the major household job done and you could still deal with the rest.

In Bangladesh a family I know has two ladies to wipe windows and floors. Otherwise it gets moldy. The other option they would have would be to move to a small place.

Does your dh have anything against getting help? It must be difficult for you because you had help before.

Let us know what you decide.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version