Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: A Little History of the World, Gombrich Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Does anyone know anything about this book? (Amazon also sells a CD set). It's written by German E.H. Gombrich (whom I don't know) back in the 30s -- Yale Press reprinted it in English for the first time in 2005.

I tried searching here but got too many unrelated searches to go through.

Here's a little snippet from the book at NPR's site:

A Little History of the World

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Hi Maryan,
Gombrich is a WONDERFUL writer--not only his style of writing, but also his insights into things and how clear he makes them. I am reading his Story of Art right now.
Wow!

I've got his history book on my wishlist at amazon and even if I don't read it all to my kids, I'll read it myself.
I do not think he is a Catholic. And I think there is some evolution/neanderthal stuff in there. Beyond that, I can't tell you for sure. (This is from looking at the sample pages on amazon.)

I'm also interested to know if anyone else has read this.

Sorry I can't tell you more than that.
ck

Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote mary

we have the book on cd we used it in place of CHOW (sonlight cores 1 & 2.) gombrich was fair in his take on history and often had little stories that made the time period come alive. my kids request the cds whenever we are in the car. he does touch on neanderthals but i suppose you could skip that chapter if it offends. the price can't be beat - $15 for 12 (i think!) cds. i also have the art book but we haven't really done much with it. thanks for reminding me to get it out!   
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

What age range is this best suited to???

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote mary

kristie, i think the cds are best for kids 7 and up. my almost 7 yr old gets bored with history after a short while. my 9 year old loves it. perhaps personalities play into this, but i think around 7 or 8 to adult. i think the cds are fantastic and love to listen to them.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, THANKS to Maryan for mentioning A Little History of the World -- I just got a copy and it will be so much more fun to use as a spine than Bauer's Story of the World Vol 1; I'll still use her Activity Guide to supplement but the writing style is so much better. I will however, have to supplement with lots of living books -- BUT that's not a problem at all!

Thanks again Maryan!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Sounds like I should grab a copy at the library and give it a go....

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Mary G wrote:
OK, THANKS to Maryan for mentioning A Little History of the World -- I just got a copy and it will be so much more fun to use as a spine than Bauer's Story of the World Vol 1; I'll still use her Activity Guide to supplement but the writing style is so much better. I will however, have to supplement with lots of living books -- BUT that's not a problem at all!
Thanks again Maryan!

You're welcome, but to give credit where credit is due -- I read a brief recommendation by Lori Hadacek Chaplin in this month's Faith and Family magazine. She recommended the reading voice and story style of the CDs, but... I was curious if you all had heard about it and recommended it too.

And sometimes, I forget to use the library to check something out. So Mary thanks for the simple reminder.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version