Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Puzzle maps- control maps? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Well I went ahead and ordered two puzzle maps from Alison's- I was really close to ordering from Kid Advance b/c I preferred their control maps which are labeled outline maps. Alison's are colored and unlabeled. Since there are three I was thinking I would leave one blank, label one with countries and the third with capitals. What has everyone else done? I am feeling tempted to just order the labeled control maps from Kid Advance and hope they match since I am feeling short on time!
BTW the service was great and I am pleased with all I ordered- I also got an inset tray and the colored pencil holders and the grammar solids. Everything is perfect and smell free, and it came 2 days after I ordered!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am planning on leaving one blank for matching labels to, having ds label one to use as a control, and saving one for dd to do later or to make color copies from (at a copyshop) if I need them. I may, however,use one for mounting to a bulletin board to use as a pin map.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ooh, I like the pin map idea! We will use one for labeling and control, one for flags and one blank for the arrows. I think I will have both country and it's capital on the control. Am I missing anything??

Isn't Alison's just GREAT!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Meredith, are you making your own flags or did you buy them? If you are making them, what are you using to make them stand up?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Thanks for bringing this up. I hadn't even considered what I'd be doing with all of those control maps. I was in fact, wondering why there were three included.   

How are you all storing them safely while you plan this stuff out? I'm worried that mine will be bent up before I can get them ready for whatever I decide to use them for.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Marianne, I am just storing them flat on one of my vacant Geography Cabinet shelves for now. I'll have to help the dc find the correct one for a while, until they are able to carefully select one without dumping all the rest, I may have to re-think this however if the little one starts pulling them out, but so far so good.

Theresa, I have downloaded my flags from Montessori Materials and I plan to laminate them and use toothpicks in modeling clay in a wooden box for starters. I think this will make for a rather fun activity having them stick them into the clay and discussing each countries special flag

I also decided to buy Lori's Continent Kits and she has wonderfully colorful 3-Part Flag Cards for Each Continent that I'm totally excited about

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I chickened out and ordered the Geopuzzles for our maps.    The thing is, I really liked that set of flags that Alison's had in the Bargain Basement section. Choices, choices...

Would the control maps be useful at all without the wooden maps? I'm wondering about the labeled ones to use for pin maps.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Meredith, I ordered Lori's Continent Kits, too. They're awesome! I think we'll probably be ordering the puzzle maps some time in October, but I was hoping (at some point) to use Lori maps to make pin maps. I just they'll fit in the plastic drawers I bought last night to hold the continent materials.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

For pin maps, you could use the arrows from each of my continent kits rather than tiny flags. I had kids shape the continents in clay, as Meredith mentions, and then taped the arrows to toothpicks so that they could stick them in.

So much fun to make mountains, lakes, etc. of each continent! If you mold them in a pan, you can add blue water for all the water forms and surrounding oceans.
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version