Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Henle vs Wheelock Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

I have gotten the gist of Henle. Does anyone recommend Wheelock? I understand it is more vocabulary and more reading than grammar found in Henle.
Back to Top View cfa83's Profile Search for other posts by cfa83

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

My dh used Wheelock in college. I took Latin all the way through college also, but used different texts. I thought Wheelock was quite difficult (even when it didn't need to be).

Now - years later, I remember much of my Latin, and I still love it. Dh remembers little of his, and it didn't stick the same way for him at all.

But many people seem to love Wheelock. I am glad my university teacher didn't .
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Wheelock if more, hmmm, compressed. You cover a lot of turf REALLY quickly. I personally think it is more suited to the older student, or to students who have the leisure to spend lots of time on each chapter rather than having to keep pace with a syllabus. They're both sound programs.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I think it matters more about who is teaching it and how. Our dd has done Wheelock without any background, but she has a tutor who believes in spending enough time on stuff to put it in long term memory and to really understand it. We got to about chapter 11 or 12 during the school year and worked some in the summer. We'll pick up where we left off this year. THe teacher/tutor made it very interesting as did the other students in the class. The advantage of Wheelock for us is that when we can no longer afford the $50 per hour tutor (ie when there aren't a lot of folks in the class) it will be an especially easy transition to our local college for duel enrollment as they use Wheelock.

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thank you for this question!! Now I have my answers without having asked

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I studied Wheelock in college. It IS very quick, but clear and covers all the necessarys.

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

What do you follow up with Wheelock? I thought I saw that MODG has a syllabus for Wheelock. Is that necessary? Has anyone used it?
Back to Top View cfa83's Profile Search for other posts by cfa83

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

We've been leaning towards Henle for our older 2. I really appreciate the reviews for Wheelock. I think we'll wait until next year on that one for Cate.

Great topic!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Linda,
You might want to talk to Lorena about this. She has my Henle book and sure knows her stuff. And she's using MODG for all of hers.

Perhap we can meet next week?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

My good friend tried Wheelock with an 8th grade class she was teaching. She said that the English vocabulary was just too tough for them. After trying a few different texts, she ended up with Jenney's.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Cay,

I already had talked to Lorena last month about Wheelock. As usually, she was wonderful to talk to. She taught from Wheelock at LSU and said it was good program. She said if Grace is happy with it, let it be and to call her anytime we needed help.

Cay, I would love to get together tomorrow! The children and I will be going to see my family in Texas Wednesday and not returning until next Friday. The boys have football at 4:30. Email or call. Bob and I just passed by the Mexican restraunt in Sulphur. Mmmmmm. Muy bueno. I wouldn't mind meeting there sometime.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

cfa83 wrote:
Cay, I would love to get together tomorrow!

Our day is packed, hon. Can't add anymore...though I'd love to ditch it all in favor of a get-together.

cfa83 wrote:
Bob and I just passed by the Mexican restraunt in Sulphur. Mmmmmm. Muy bueno. I wouldn't mind meeting there sometime.

Great idea! I love the food. Mark and I were telling Bob he needed to take you there. I want to know if you rate the food as good as Texas-Mex.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version