Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Moms of School Age Multiples... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Mare

I was just wondering if you teach them together or individually when it comes to subjects like Language Arts and Math.

This year I have 4 school age children - 8,6,6 and 6. I've been doing the Math and Language Arts individually. It sure takes up time. If I don't spend that with them individually, then I feel guilty. It is such a balancing act.

Anyone else feel this way?

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Having twins, age 8, and this being our first full year of home schooling, I am interested in this also. I do try to do things together, but the girls learn differently and this sometimes causes fustration (on everyone's part).

Mare, our children are close in ages like yours. Right now we have 8, 8, 6, & 6 (at least for the next 5 weeks)! Some days I look at them and think--"How do I do this?!?"

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I thought I had my hands full, you ladies are amazing! I had to teach mine individually for LA and Math. We stayed to together on everything else.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would worry less about their ages or working individually than simply.. are they working at the same level and do they work better seperately or individually.

Then do what works best for all and stop giving yourself a guilt trip over the rest.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I present Math and Language Arts to both the boys at the same time. Often with LA--right now phonics and spelling--there are others sitting and soaking and working up to their ability. I set them to work and see how it goes. When difficulties arise, then I try more child specific presentations.

Thinking about it, nearly everything is done in a group. First we all do poetry; those who aren't reciting practice being good listeners. Religion has one text, and the boys take turns reading it to me and looking up the glossary words. Then they go quiz each other on the memorization questions, while the next one reads her Bible story and the littles listen. Art cards are played Go Fish or Memory style with everyone. Then we separate for LA and Math sort of. Everyone is there and listening or working quietly.

Well, I hope there is something in there that is helpful. BTW, the kids are 8, 8, 6, 4, 3, 1.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

My twins are now 13, but I do know what you are talking about. I tried to teach them together as much as possible. They both had a few learning delays and such that made it impossible to ONLY teach them together.

Between them and their gifted brother, who is almost 2 years younger then them, I ended up teaching the same thing 3 times...but it worked out after awhile. They gleaned a great deal from each other and once I got them started the trickle down thing worked well for the others that came after them and they actually help me teach the younger ones with reading and such. So a lot of diligence at first paid off BIG time later. Don't sweat it if you cannot get to all of them all of the time. Just use your time the best you can hitting the basics and keep on trying...maybe starting the next day with the things you could not get to the day before...it really does get easier!

I look back to those days when my children were your children's ages with a lot of wistfulness. It was so hard for me at that stage, but I have the BEST memories..despite the permanent crease on my forehead from hitting that frustration wall so much. I was trying to "keep up with the Joneses" (aka the local private school schedule) Once I relaxed a bit and tried to follow what was more natural to us and it became much better all around.

My kids are now 13,13,11,8,6,4,2

HTH!
God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Donna Marie wrote:
So a lot of diligence at first paid off BIG time later. Don't sweat it if you cannot get to all of them all of the time. Just use your time the best you can hitting the basics and keep on trying...maybe starting the next day with the things you could not get to the day before...it really does get easier!

I look back to those days when my children were your children's ages with a lot of wistfulness. It was so hard for me at that stage, but I have the BEST memories..despite the permanent crease on my forehead from hitting that frustration wall so much. I was trying to "keep up with the Joneses" (aka the local private school schedule) Once I relaxed a bit and tried to follow what was more natural to us and it became much better all around.

Donna Marie,

This is just what I needed to hear.

Thank you, Liz, Michelle, Jodie and Rachel! I've enjoyed reading what works for each family. I don't have IRL homeschool friends who have multiples. It's nice knowing that there are moms of multiples here that are on this journey as well.

I think this year we'll be able to do Math and Language Arts as a group. Last year, I was teaching reading individually. It was hard to be enthused teaching the lesson for the third time in one day. Some days were . Other days were .

Peace,

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

I have four, three schooling age. (ds 10, dds 6 & 7). I am slowly combinging the two dds in Math. and eventuall in LA. they are doing their reading program together right now, but are not on the same level for phonics. if they connect between the time I start with other LA stuff, then they will do it together. we read aloud together.

I jsut don't have enough hours in the day to do them individually.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Thanks for reassuring me too!. My 6 yo twins are in 2 totally different places...

Holly
Back to Top View hopalenik's Profile Search for other posts by hopalenik

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version