Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Ideas for backyard. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

Hi. I'm Dawn. I'm new here but I've just read the Real Learning book and I would love to get my children outdoors more. I am not naturally inclined to be outside myself so this will be somewhat of a discipline for me to acquire. My question here, though, is how can I transform my backyard into a beautiful place that my kids and family will like to go to? We have a basic suburban backyard: rectangle, small, grass. I don't know much about plants and truthfully the perfectionist in me cringes at planting stuff with the kids just to have them go dig it all up (say if we planted seeds or something). My kids are 5 yods, 3 yods, and 2 yodd. I'd like for them to have areas they can play oustide that seem natural. I'd like to have a digging area for them with real dirt and rocks and such vs a sandbox, KWIM? But then I got bogged down in details like: they'll throw all the rocks and sticks in the yard and then dh will have to pick them all up to mow. Or something silly like that. Or I'll think about planting a small garden and then figure they'll just pull everything up anyway. What is that? Defeatism or something like that?

Anyway..I'm just as much a beginner as the kids are..so any good book suggestions on landscaping with kids in mind? I'd love to also extend our covered 10x10 concrete patio along the length of our house and get a cover for it so we can eat or do school outside. I'd like to use this area to start and end our days...rather than doing it in front of the tv. Thanks for reading.
Back to Top View dawn2006's Profile Search for other posts by dawn2006 Visit dawn2006's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Welcome to 4Real, Dawn!

Jennifer at As Cozy As Spring just put up a great post detailing her Outdoor Classroom.

MacBeth has an Autumn list that is very inspiring too!

Hope these help!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Hi Dawn!
Have you seen the Backyard Habitatprogram? It has great ideas for converting a plain lawn into an area that will be inviting to local wildlife. The more you draw the wildlife in, the more your children will be drawn out to see them!
Also, from the same site are the Green Hourseries of ideas for activities to do with children outdoors.
Check out another Dawn's blog for fantastic ideas for nature study as well:By Sun and Candlelight. Her nature study book basket always holds inspiration and her "Field Day" posts are great collections of ideas from many, many bloggers.

I also wanted to suggest that when children plant flowers WITH you, and help you to care for them by watering and weeding, they are more invested and rarely will destroy them. I suggest planting some inexpensive annuals in a little planter or border to start with and see how it goes. Also, starting with seedlings rather than seeds provides more instant gratification and thus is more attractive to little ones.

Have fun! And be sure to come back and tell us how it goes!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

well not sure what we will do here, esp with the heat as it is. But at our old house we had several areas.

the front yard was landscaped with grass for sitting. we made a dry creek bed under the large living room window, using mexican river rocks (small ones). on the other side of the front door we put in egyptian papyrus and a bench.

the kids used the sidewalk for chalk pictures. I also would bring out a little table for all kind of activies, including snacks/lunch. clay/playdough, painting, 'playing school' building things etc... esp making paper airplanes. my kids have a fixation with that. lol and they are very good. esp ds.

back yard.... large back porch with tables and a hammock. kids would do their book work out there many many days. and also playing, just playing, there.

we had two garden areas (plants and flowers), along with potted veggies. (the tomatoes and pepper did the best). the kids helped us with planting and maintaining. they were also in charge of keeping the bird feeders and bird bath full.

there were many, many wild creatures in our yard, and on the surrounding property. so I did not have to do much, but make it comfortable. on the surrounding property there was a playground, gazebo, trees, lizzards, hawks, a couple of great blue herons, king snakes, gopher snakes in the spring, our short road etc... they would find treasures and creatures and build forts, climb trees.
I can't wait until we get our hosue and I can create our space again.

good luck and have fun

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

Thank for the ideas everyone (and the welcome)! I can't wait to carve out time to explore those links! Thanks.
Back to Top View dawn2006's Profile Search for other posts by dawn2006 Visit dawn2006's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version