Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Saints list for different US states? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2010 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jenn, that is a very helpful addition - THANKS!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
There are more to add to the list if you look at those that are Servant of God, Venerable, Blessed, or have their sauses opened for investigation. That would be a much bigger list.

I also found an interesting book called "Heroes of the Cross" An American Martyrology, by Marion A. Habig, OFM, 1945, St. Anthony Guild. I didn't realize that there were so many that died for the faith on American soil when it was still missionary territory.

I pulled out my book again, and am surprised that many of those listed in the book aren't listed here. In particular, there is Juan de Padilla who is considered American protomartyr.

Which made me think what happens when a cause isn't pursued? Or dropped? On thing that has become evident over the years is that to become a saint it seems you have to have clout to push the cause. It's not all done by money and fame, but it does help to promote the cause to be pushed.

For those forgotten or humble names, we may never see them canonized, but it doesn't mean they aren't saints in heaven enjoying the beatific vision.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

Thank you for the wonderful lists ladies!

I'll add this thread to my bookmarks right now. : )
Back to Top View Trinity's Profile Search for other posts by Trinity

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've never seen this site before and am so excited! This looks like the place to see new additions of causes for sainthood.

Hagiography Circle

There's a tremendous database, with all sorts of information, organized by year, countries, etc.

ETA: I will add a caveat as the site does include "martyrs" that don't necessarily have official causes yet. Some of these might be more questionable in nature.... But as far as seeing current causes, it's tremendous.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 29 2010 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

I did a state scrap book with the kids a couple of years ago - I included this Marian Litany:

In 1976, the Shine of Mary Help of Christians in West Haverstraw, New York, USA, held a "Bicentennial Religious Celebration". The following litany was composed for the occasion. As the pamphlet explains: "It consists of 50 invocations of Mary's help for the 50 States of the Union, each invocation being chosen from the titles of Marian Churches in that State. In response let us pray for the people of each State. For example, when we invoke "Our Lady of Peace of Maine", please respond "Pray for Maine", and so forth."
Our Lady of the Gulf in Alabama
St. Mary of Kodiak and of the Islands in Alaska
Our Lady of the Highways in Arizona
Our Lady of the Holy Souls in Arkansas
Our Lady of the Wayside in California
Immaculate Conception in Colorado
Notre Dame of Easton in Connecticut
Our Mother of Mercy in Delaware
Our Lady of La Leche in Florida
Immaculate Heart of Mary in Georgia
Star of the Sea in Hawaii
Our Lady of Limerick in Idaho
Queen of the Universe in Illinois
Our Lady of Providence in Indiana
St. Mary of Nazareth in Iowa
Mary Queen of Angels in Kansas
Mother of God in Kentucky
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in Louisiana
Our Lady of Peace in Maine
Our Lady of the Assumption in Maryland
Our Lady of the Incarnation in Massachusetts
Gate of Heaven in Michigan
Mother of the Church in Minnesota
Our Lady of Sorrows in Mississippi
Our Lady of Calvary in Missouri
Our Lady of the Pines in Montana
Our Lady of The Presentation in Nebraska
Our Lady of Las Vegas in Nevada
Our Lady of Perpetual Help in New Hampshire
Our Lady of Fatima in New Jersey
Our Lady of Guadalupe in New Mexico
Mary Help of Christians in New York
Our Lady of the Holy Rosary in North Carolina
Our Lady of Consolation in North Dakota
St. Mary Queen of Heaven in Ohio
Queen of All Saints in Oklahoma
Our Lady of the Woods in Oregon
Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal in Pennsylvania
Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Rhode Island
St. Mary the Virgin Mother in South Carolina
Our Lady of the Prairie in South Dakota
Our Lady of Lourdes in Tennessee
Our Lady of the Annunciation in Texas
Our Lady of the Snows in Utah
Our Lady of Grace in Vermont
Queen of the Apostles in Virginia
Our Lady of Good Help in Washington
Our Lady of Victory in West Virginia
Queen of the Americas in Wisconsin
St. Mary in Wyoming
Our Lady in Washington DC
Our Lady of Wisdom, Pray for our Congress
Our Mother, Pray for our President
Dear Mother Mary, this touching variety of titles shows your interest in all the States of the Union and their inhabitants according to heir special needs. In it we want to tell you how much you mean to us and how close you are to us all, to our mountains and lakes, to our towns and villages, to our homes and our hearts. We sum up all your titles in one when we call you HELP OF CHRISTIANS, because, as by His love for all men Christ your Son makes them all Christians and brothers unto Himself, He entrusts them all to you as your children. Amen
Back to Top View imcatholic's Profile Search for other posts by imcatholic Visit imcatholic's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, that's a wonderful litany! Thanks for sharing that!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Frank Parater (October 10, 1897–February 7, 1920) – VA

Virginia
Martyrs of Virginia (1571, Fr. Segura and his seven companions)
Frank Parater (October 10, 1897–February 7, 1920)

After looking through this list from Mary, it made me aware of more names. Yesterday at my parish church there was a holycard of Frank Parater. I think I would have passed it by before, but the name rang a bell. Now I can pray for his cause!

robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote robinhigh

And here is my hometown's very own Father Joseph Verbis Lafleur from Ville Platte, Louisiana.

Another little intercessor from Louisiana is Charlene Richard, "The Little Cajun Saint"
Back to Top View robinhigh's Profile Search for other posts by robinhigh

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I've recently heard that second miracles have been confirmed for both of these blesseds and it sounds like announcements are coming of their canonization in 2012. How exciting!!

Bl. Marianne Cope – HI, NY
Quote:
Dec. 6: Vatican’s Congregation for the Causes for Saints at its ordinary session of the cardinals and bishops (members) confirmed the unanimous ruling of the medical board of the second miracle as an inexplicable medical recovery as well as the report of the theologians who confirmed that the miracle was due to the intercession of Blessed Marianne Cope thus opening the way for her canonization. The final step is approval by the Pope of her canonization and the announcement of the date for the canonization

Bl. Kateri Tekakwitha – NY
From Rocco Palmo's blog
Quote:
And that's not all -- as first relayed on the Inside Pages in early November, likewise expected in the impending batch of miracle decrees is the long-awaited final step to sainthood for the "Lily of the Mohawks," Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (1656-80).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
I've recently heard that second miracles have been confirmed for both of these blesseds and it sounds like announcements are coming of their canonization in 2012. How exciting!!

Bl. Marianne Cope – HI, NY
Quote:
Dec. 6: Vatican’s Congregation for the Causes for Saints at its ordinary session of the cardinals and bishops (members) confirmed the unanimous ruling of the medical board of the second miracle as an inexplicable medical recovery as well as the report of the theologians who confirmed that the miracle was due to the intercession of Blessed Marianne Cope thus opening the way for her canonization. The final step is approval by the Pope of her canonization and the announcement of the date for the canonization

Bl. Kateri Tekakwitha – NY
From Rocco Palmo's blog
Quote:
And that's not all -- as first relayed on the Inside Pages in early November, likewise expected in the impending batch of miracle decrees is the long-awaited final step to sainthood for the "Lily of the Mohawks," Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (1656-80).

It's official - both will be canonized on October 21, 2012. Very exciting for the US.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
It's official - both will be canonized on October 21, 2012. Very exciting for the US.

I have been thinking about this so much! My sister and her family went up to Canada and New York to the places of the North American martyrs this summer and we were all wondering if Kateri would EVER be canonized.

It just makes me smile when I think about it -- it is soooo fabulous!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Looks like Bl. Junipero Serra to be canonized this year!

Catholic Culture.org
HT: Jenn Miller

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Looks like Bl. Junipero Serra to be canonized this year!

Catholic Culture.org
HT: Jenn Miller

I am so excited about this. Going to hit the books to find the best ones on him.

I think Donna Marie had a unit study one time on Missions, which included him.

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Oh, we love The Road to the Kings Mountain.
A least that is what I think it is called. Can't find it at the moment.
It is written from the perspective of a boy who accompanies Fr. Serra from his first mission in San Diego to Monterrey and San Francisco. I think it was a Vision book but can't find it online.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Aagot wrote:
Oh, we love The Road to the Kings Mountain.
A least that is what I think it is called. Can't find it at the moment.
It is written from the perspective of a boy who accompanies Fr. Serra from his first mission in San Diego to Monterrey and San Francisco. I think it was a Vision book but can't find it online.

That is by Margaret Ann Hubbard, Road to King's Mountain. Glad to know. I'm making my list. We are all abuzz here about this. My boys pulled all the books they could find, I found a few picture books, and ordered a few more that have been on my wishlist. I just ordered this one right before you mentioned it!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2015 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We have this old thread on the California Missions which has some resources and suggestions for Bl. Junipero Serra.

Aagot wrote:
My boys pulled all the books they could find, I found a few picture books, and ordered a few more that have been on my wishlist.
So - you need to list them all for us, Jenn.

These are a couple picture books I mentioned in the older thread:
Father Serra: First Great Pioneer in California by Vesta Condon
The Mission Bell by Leo Politi

And some other resources: St. Anthony Guild Press book (1959) - Sandals on the Golden Highway by Teri Martini

The story in comic form from Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact- God's frontiersmen: Junipero Serra, O.F.M.

Aagot wrote:
I think it was a Vision book but can't find it online.

The Hubbard book isn't a Vision book is it, Jenn? It seems that there was supposed to be a Fr. Serra Vision book but it was never published by them. Confusing...
JennGM wrote:
Love2Learn lists all the Vision books, and the last two on the list she had reason to think they were never published, one of them on Father Serra by Ann Roos. I did find a book by Ann Roos, The Royal Road: Father Serra and the California Missions published by Lippincott, so I think that's where the book got published.

Oh, one more thing I found tonight.
Coloring page from Catholic Playground - Bl. Junipero Serra

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2015 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
We have this old thread on the California Missions which has some resources and suggestions for Bl. Junipero Serra.

You beat me, Mary. Just a note that the thread quoted above has links to other discussions.

MaryM wrote:
Aagot wrote:
My boys pulled all the books they could find, I found a few picture books, and ordered a few more that have been on my wishlist.
So - you need to list them all for us,

Working on it.

MaryM wrote:
These are a couple picture books I mentioned in the older thread:
Father Serra: First Great Pioneer in California by Vesta Condon
The Mission Bell by Leo Politi

I think a few of his titles that deal with the culture on Olvera Street, like Juanita and Pedro of Olvera Street would also be appropriate if you are studying California Missions also.

There isn't an existing mission church per se, but there are a few theories that this was a sub-mission from San Gabriel.

MaryM wrote:
And some other resources: St. Anthony Guild Press book (1959) - Sandals on the Golden Highway by Teri Martini

This was slightly revised and reprinted as Sandals on the Golden Highway by Paulist Press, 1987.

The story in comic form from Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact- God's frontiersmen: Junipero Serra, O.F.M.

MaryM wrote:

Aagot wrote:
I think it was a Vision book but can't find it online.

The Hubbard book isn't a Vision book is it, Jenn? It seems that there was supposed to be a Fr. Serra Vision book but it was never published by them. Confusing...
JennGM wrote:
Love2Learn lists all the Vision books, and the last two on the list she had reason to think they were never published, one of them on Father Serra by Ann Roos. I did find a book by Ann Roos, The Royal Road: Father Serra and the California Missions published by Lippincott, so I think that's where the book got published.

Right, Roos is not a Vision, but I think a stand-alone book.

Hubbard title is part of the Clarion Book series by Doubleday. Hillside Education has reprinted a few of those titles.

There is also a Credo Books title by Donald Demerest. More later on those.

[quote=MaryM]Oh, one more thing I found tonight.
Coloring page from Catholic Playground - Bl. Junipero Serra

Mary Macarthur has all the liturgical calendar coloring pages, and plans on adding saints as a supplement. Hopefully she will add this one saint soon, too!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version