Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Henle, Wheelock Latin -others Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

My dd has only had LC1. She would like to continue the study of Latin throughout highschool. I understand Henle has fewer vocabulary than Wheelock. Has anyone had experience with either of these programs? Any other recommendations? Can she skip LC11 and go staight to Henle/Wheelock? Will she struggle?
Back to Top View cfa83's Profile Search for other posts by cfa83

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well my dd had no Latin and went straight to Wheelock Latin. I didn't have her teach herself or anything so that may make a difference. We did have a private tutor. I think it makes a lot more of a difference whether or not they like the subject, how strong a grammar background they have, and having someone to help them along than which book or program. Just my 2 cents. (I don't know any Latin at all so we chose the book based on what the tutor was familiar with).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Neither Wheelock or Henle require any former experience with Latin.    

Wheelock's is originally a college text, Henle is high school.    My high schoolers have found Henle a bit easier to use independently than Wheelock.

None of them got through much of Latina Christiana I or II -- but all went onto Henle.   Knowing some vocabulary from Latina Christiana makes it a bit easier to focus on the grammar once you get to Henle -- my 14 yo started Henle last year and since he already knew most of the vocabulary, he could save his memorizing energy for learning the grammar paradigms.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I had Latin all through college. I loved it. I am trying very hard to remember the name of the text that we used, I think it was Oxford Latin. Dh also decided to take Latin, and his teacher used Wheelock. He hated it - and I didn't blame him. And, I am still pretty good at Latin, and I think Wheelock was unnecessarily difficult. Maybe it has improved with subsequent releases - this was many years ago. I would look through his book and didn't feel they explained things well at all.

For high school many people seem to like Henle. DD17 really didn't want to do much Latin after LC1, and I didn't push it with her (and then she taught herself Japanese ).
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version