Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: RC History Resource Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I've been going back and forth with myself about whether or not to get the Great Adventure Bible series suggested as a resource in RC History's Connecting With History. I know it's supposed to be helpful to put the Old Testament into historical context.

Anyway, I thought I'd do a Netflix search to see if maybe I could rent it, but it wasn't on their list. However, they do have Our Father's Plan, a series from EWTN done by Jeff Cavins and Scott Hahn. It is essentially the same idea as Cavin's Great Adventure series.

What's even better, you can download the audio files from the series at EWTN's audio library. Programs 1-9 apply to the topics in Connecting With History Volume 1.

So, in case you are like me, hesitating to make a rather expensive purchase, you can either rent the video series from Netflix or listen to audios at EWTN as part of your RC History teacher preparation. I'm all about saving a buck!

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I have the Great Adventure and think it is absolutely WONDERFUL! (OK, other than the price - but the information is awesome, I have learned SO MUCH!). I am even more excited, now, to download the programs you linked to. When I get a chance to listen to the downloaded ones, I'll try to compare the two.

Thanks for this link

God bless,
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have a question about The Great Adventure. I attended a series at my old parish several years ago on this. It was 2 nights, each was 2 hours and we watched a video and made the timeline in our little workbook. it also included a bookmark and the colored beads that stand for various times.
I thought the whole thing was interesting but it mostly just gave an overview of how the chronicity of the Old Testament and Jesus' life was, certainly not much detail. I've looked at the GA for sale and there seem to be several options. Is the real course more detailed or was what i had the whole thing? b/c it's definitely not worth those prices.

BTW, before I saw this, I had been reading Catholic for a Reason and it has the same chronological listing of which books to read in it.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Karen,

You probably saw the 8 week Great Adventure study. The 24 week study is VERY MUCH more in depth (24 one hour sessions covering the same materials as the 8 week sessions which were 8 half our sessions). I enjoy audio CDs in the car, so they were a great resource for me. I don't know about the DVDs. I find them to be quite overpriced for watching a man speak at a venue when I can hear the exact same talk on CD for much less money. But that's my opinion.
I am excited to start listening to the resource Valerie just suggested and compare the programs. I just downloaded them and put them on CD so I can hear them in the car ASAP. As I said before, I'll keep you all posted.

God bless,
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Thanks for clarifying that. I'd love to do the longer study, then, but agree that the DVD's aren't really necessary. I'll check out the downloadable resource as soon as I get my high speed internet back (dealing with dial-up right now )
Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version